Help building a Snow plow blade for FEL

/ Help building a Snow plow blade for FEL #11  
It sounds like you're pretty handy with fab work, my :2cents: I'd make a truck type frame mount. Watching how the use of my 102" Snow Wolf blade on my M9540 makes the loader arms move sideways worries me. I do not like the reaction to the plowing forces I can see on my loader arms. I will be building a frame hitch somewhere just in front of the front axle and make a more conventional truck like hitch. Until then I plow with the skid loader, it plows with the loader arms down rested against the chassis, nestled between some "stops" that will not allow the side loading to be transmitted to the arms. Another drawback to a (tractor) loader mounted blade is steering. A loader mounted blade is about as far in front of your front axle as the rear is away from your front, leaving a great leverage advantage against your tractors steering effort. Now this might not be a problem with lighter or smaller snows with straight plowing runs, but in a heavy wet or deep snow that is not straight, you'll be on your brake pedals to try to get any steering. Even with my ice chains on I can have trouble. (see picture)

I like the Fisher brand snow plows with their tripping action, only the cutting edge trips and the tripping "event" is much less violent than the whole blade slapping forward, then returning under high spring forces. The Fisher and some others have a sharper angle of attack on the snow, that is the blade is back at maybe 75-80 degee where some, especially the Meyer is close to "square" or 90* to the ground. It seems to peel up packed or driven on snow much better. One thing to consider in your design is your cutting edge. I have made my own with 5/8" x 6" steel and blown the mounting holes with the torch. They wore pretty fast, so I would take a trip to your local heavy equipment dealer, snowplow dlr. etc. to see what they have available for use as your cutting edge, eventually you will need to replace it. They should be a source for an adjustable skid shoe as well.
When I build something like this, I usually gather my critical parts and "fit" the rest of the design around these items as they are basically fixed points. I'll go measure my plow for total height, the deepest measurement at the arc of the radius from a staight line formed by the cutting edge and the top, and the hinge height for the trip edge. The SnowWolf plow "tripps" like a Fisher blade. I'll post them here fri. night.

Attachments

• DSCN3395.jpg
    DSCN3395.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 149
   / Help building a Snow plow blade for FEL #12  
Shaley
My blade has a 24 inch radius and is about 24 inches high with the cutting edge. The hinge is about 4"" above the bottom. The whole blade is hinged and uses 2 snowplow springs to keep it upright. I can post a couple of pictures if you would like.
Cam

/ Help building a Snow plow blade for FEL #13  
DSC_4437.jpgDSC_4438.jpgDSC_4439.jpg

I took a few pictures and made a measurement of my old blade. It is 72 inches wide and 24 inches high by 1/4" thick with a 1/4 x 2 cutting edge. I have changed the cutting edge only once in 25 years and find now that it is worn almost to nothing. The blade is offset 6" to the right to move snow off to the downhill sideof the driveway. The pivot for the trip is about 8" above the cutting edge when it is not worn away. The raise/lower pivot on the mount on my old Yanmar tractor is also about 8" above grade when all is sitting level. I raised the blade by using a chain up to the cross piece on the bucket frame, the bucket is above the blade when using the blade.
This old blade has served me well. On the little 15 hp Yanmar, with the blade turned 30 deg and chains on the rear will move 6" of slush with no problems if I could get up a little speed. 24" of dry powder was easy going down hill and about another 100' on the flat before needing to turn to the right to unload the blade.

I hope that this description helps with your design, Cam

/ Help building a Snow plow blade for FEL #14  
I went to junkyard and bought a section of boiler plate that has the natural curve then welded mounting plates on it and then bolted cutting edge on bottom.i went to the township and got a old cutting edge from town grader.i plowed snow with that many years.

/ Help building a Snow plow blade for FEL #15  
Here is a 10' wide snow plow i build 10 years ago. It is solid build and can handle lots of abuse.
The blade is cut from a section of 3' dia 3/8" thick pipe.
It has hydr angle and in the straight dozer position it can be turned over so the top of the bale is on the ground for scraping snow back from doors and buildings.
It has 2 skid plates as well to keep the cutting edge 1/2" from the ground.
I have build quick attach adapters to be able to put it on my tractor front end loader, a track or skid steer and an wheel loader

Attachments

• ASV quick attach adaptor 020.jpg
    ASV quick attach adaptor 020.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 135
  • ASV quick attach adaptor 019.jpg
    ASV quick attach adaptor 019.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 134
   / Help building a Snow plow blade for FEL #16  
Bison
Could you please post some pictures of the back side of your blade? I am building a new blade for my new tractor and am looking for ideas. So far just gathering pieces as I find them.
Thanks, Cam

/ Help building a Snow plow blade for FEL #17  
Bison
Could you please post some pictures of the back side of your blade? I am building a new blade for my new tractor and am looking for ideas. So far just gathering pieces as I find them.
Thanks, Cam

got this one,I can make a couple more if you want

Attachments

• ASV quick attach adaptor 018.jpg
    ASV quick attach adaptor 018.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 158
   / Help building a Snow plow blade for FEL #18  
Thanks Bison. That is an elegant way to do the angle adjustment.
No snow this morning down in the lower Fraser Valley, just a skiff last night that is now rain. It warmed up early enough that it is not freezing rain. This will give me more time to build a blade for the new tractor.
Cam