Help me identify this noise.

/ Help me identify this noise.
Thanks! I didn't know that.

I should tear down that axle assembly I have with its hinge pin ripped out, and put the components on Ebay. I paid $85 shipping for its replacement so it wouldn't be reasonable to offer the intact assembly, because shipping would cost too much. But selling the hub, axle shaft, etc individually might recover some of my repair cost.
There is a parted out 2000 on there now. I think the guy is a little high. Several of his parts are mislabeled. Anywayy point is that he is selling the axle shaft for $199! His parts seem a little high, I know there not made anymore. But there not really rare I just think it's people not selling them on eBay! Not sure how long it would take to sell that stuff though?

These rear ends are really well built and heavy duty. If you have ever been into a pickup truck these axles are WAY thicker than the axle shifts on one of those as well as the bearings. I have only personally been in my Chevy's rear end. Its a corporate 12 bolt. But the Yanmar is way, way, way thicker than the corporate 12, bearings are also physically bigger. Shafts I know are stronger in this. Bearings are a bit different design and I have not looked up specs on them but I looked up specs on the 6209 nsk bearing. We're no way near the designed capacity of that bearing. Its no wonder they rarely go out.

Just an update. I ordered parts October 1. Against my better judgement I went with USPS and didn't pay the $8 more for UPS shipping. Right now my parts are still sitting in a Ft Worth Texas distribution center or somewhere else " en route to the next destination" . They made it there Oct 1 and look to have not left since. I have a complaint filed and they are "investigating" it:rolleyes:. These days I do not trust the USPS this happens time and time again. I bet half or more of my packages from them take 2 weeks or longer to be delivered. This one though is coming up on 3 weeks and hasn't left the first facility it made it too.

Parts came in this week while I was away at a continuing Ed class. Came on time via UPS this time. My order was filed under USPS insurance as lost and reshipped by Hoye. I paid more to ship UPS this time and to hopefully have it sooner than 2 weeks the USPS seems to take when they actually deliver a package. Hopefully I will put it all back together tomorrow. I have to clean the gasket off the PTO and then I will be able to reassemble it.

Ok I finially got to this yesterday. I got the axle back in the tractor and bull gear back on wheel ready to go on and torque the bull gear down.

While the bearing slipped out on the inside it would not go in more than 1/4" into the inside housing even getting what taps I could with a dead blow in there. I tried the old one same thing?? Figured it was a temperature difference thing. So I took the bearing inside put it in a sandwich bag and into the freezer it went. Used a heat gun on the inner casting to raise the temperature to somewhere over 100f and went and got the bearing out of the freezer. It slipped right into the spot no problem. Then I out the bull get roughly in place and feed the axle into the gear and thread the bolt into the axle and then use the inner nut and taps from a dead blow on the shaft to seat the shaft and outer bearing. It was not a hard go just a tight friction fit. The pic with the wrench on the seal retainer boots was when I was thinking of a way to get the inner bearing on. I pulled the whole assembly into the axle that way. Then realized that wouldn't do me any good as it bearing stuck out too far to get the gear into place. The gear needs to be in place before the axle so that they can slip together. With the other parts inside the transmission there is no room to install or remove it untill the shaft is not in the way.

Now all I need to do is clean the gasket surface on the pto unit and install it. Then hopefully no more noise.
IMG_20211031_125137689.jpg
IMG_20211031_144943822.jpg

Normally we mow 24-26 times a summer and I put maybe 42 hours on the mower. This year I lost count of the times but am at 57 hours and still have three weeks to go. I mowed last Tuesday and it was so thick and ragged I had to mow again two days later and will again in a day or so. I mow at 3 1/2" and don't mow as much as my neighbors.
Yep it was a wet year. Not sure how this relates to this thread or this repair...but:p:ROFLMAO::LOL:

/ Help me identify this noise. #47  
I had to leave the collar at the time. Mentioned it before. Replaced the seal and that's been at least 10Yrs. 1 drip or 2 and sometimes it doesn't drip at all. Show up after I park it. I see it on the Wheel it self and knowing what's causing it the Lip goes up!! Still have the new collar but I'm not going into it for that little bit.
My seasons winding down also. Mowed this Yr. and in the high 40's on Hrs.. I'll still have to cut 1-2 more times so I'll be in the 50's. I average 50-60Hrs. a Yr mowing also.
Not butt hurt here on the reply's and can relate to both. Good read.........:)

/ Help me identify this noise. #48  
Yep it was a wet year. Not sure how this relates to this thread or this repair...but:p:ROFLMAO::LOL:
Oops. Wrong thread. :)

Fascinating repair that you are doing, however.

Here is the picture of the seal collar I installed 9 or 10 years ago. I have probably averaged 15 to 20 hours a year over that period, so around 100 hours maybe on this collar. Now this was an aftermarket one not Yanmar original so maybe it's softer? I think it's pretty hard metal though. It came from Hoye I installed it is how I know. The old one leaked and was worse than this. Would a new seal probably work, sure, but it was all part in my hand why not spend the $15 or whatever to put it all new in there. You could catch a fingernail on that groove in some spots. Those weird scratches and marks are from me prying it off with screwdrivers and prybars.
IMG_20211101_205222605.jpg