Help with rotary cutter gearbox

/ Help with rotary cutter gearbox #1  

Nate07

Tractor
None
I just bought an older ford rotary cutter. It is missing the top half of the gearbox and the pto shaft(I bought the thing for $60). The best I can tell the model number on the tag of the whole thing is 22-151. I’m having trouble finding the correct gearbox for it. The output shaft is 10 spline. All I am finding is 6,12,15 spline with bolt on blade. My blades are on the splined shaft with a shear bolt and no threads for a nut. I’ve not dealt with any bush hogs before. Just recently bought a new place with 4.5 overgrown acres I’m trying to clean up.

/ Help with rotary cutter gearbox #2  
Hello Nate,
Welcome to the forum!
I have purchased used and new gearboxes and made the mount to fit them, while using the stump jumper from the old one. I have also purchased rusted out brushhogs that still had good gearboxes and stump jumpers (and blades), and put them on a completely different style bush hog.
A lot depends on your fabrication skills, when it comes to "making things fit".
Good luck,
David from jax

/ Help with rotary cutter gearbox #3  
This hog sounds like a good project for someone with some fab capabilities, but it might not be a good first option for someone without. What tractor are you running this on? Might do well to look at other second-hand options, ready to run.

/ Help with rotary cutter gearbox
I’m a machinist/tool and die maker by trade, I know I can make something work I’m just trying to find the quickest option. My garage doesn’t have electric in it yet so I have limited abilities at the moment.

/ Help with rotary cutter gearbox #5  
Cool. You run into all types, here.

Got any photos, so it's easier to follow what you're describing?

I suspect you're going to get more recommendations on gearbox replacement, unless there's any easy parts channel for that old Ford gearbox. And while I've never particularly followed Ford, I honestly didn't even know they made their own brush hogs. Are you sure it's not a re-badged Woods or other brand? That would really help with finding parts diagrams, etc.

Many will just find another rusted out deck with driveshaft and a good gearbox, and make the mod's required to their deck to transplant that other gearbox onto it.

I’ll take some pictures tonight and post them. I’m pretty sure I’ll end up replacing the gearbox, I’m just trying to reuse the blade mount and haven’t found one with the correct spline

/ Help with rotary cutter gearbox #7  
Yeah, I'd assume replacing the blade/jumper assembly with whatever comes on the replacement gearbox. Especially if you go with something super common (eg. Woods or King Kutter), then blade availability becomes no problem.

IMG_6246.JPG
IMG_6248.JPG
IMG_6249.JPG

So the spacing between blade hub is 16.5 and the blades measure 20.5 tip to hole