Home Security Camera question

/ Home Security Camera question #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
While I have my walls and attic open and easy to get to, I want to add cables for security cameras. One will be inside to watch the whelping area, which is motivation for this project, but then I also want another camera to watch outside the side of the house in that area. Distance for the longest run is 97 feet if I went in a straight line. With all things considered, I'm well over 100 feet, but well under 150 feet. Once the sheetrock is installed, there wont be a good way to run these cables, so I need to do it now, long before I buy a security system. Of course, once we start having puppies, that will probably change.

Based on all the reviews that I've read, I do not want to go wireless.

It's super easy to run the cables right now.

The cost of the cables is very cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/WildHD-Secur...ateway&sprefix=home+security+,aps,256&sr=8-26

Before I buy these, I wanted to make sure that this is what I should buy. I haven't bought a system, but I want to make sure that when I do, I have the right cables. Does this make sense?

Are these good cables for what I need, or do I need to look for something specific?

/ Home Security Camera question #2  
It all depends on the system/cameras. If you go with an analog camera then the bnc cables with power are what you need. If you go with an ip camera than you would need CAT 5/6 cables. IP cameras can be powered 2 ways. Local power direct to the camera or PoE (Power over Ethernet). PoE systems would need either a PoE capable Ethernet Switch or PoE Injectors.

Decide on your type of system first.

/ Home Security Camera question #3  
Yes, but those are BNC cables. They work with current systems, typically up to 1080p resolution, 2.0 megapixel camera, some higher. 1080p is good for basic area monitoring, not so great for a license plate off a moving vehicle 75' away...so depends what you want. They are the lesser expensive DVRs and cameras.

Alternatively, newer ones with higher definition use PoE (power over ethernet) so you'd want network cables for those. Not sure if Cat5e or Cat6 are used with those - mine are BNC. Those are typically 2160p (4K) and 6-8megapixel cameras.

Cables aren't expensive so could run both and then just either later on....I'd probably do the PoE if starting over.

Mine are Amcrest brand from Amazon, 150' lengths, and seem to be holding up well inside attic & exposed outside.

/ Home Security Camera question #4  
These are off my phone app, but typical for what to expect for 1080p camera. Note the interior one, it's in night mode with no interior house lighting & overcast day outside - without color night vision, you'll be B&W a lot indoors without a lot of light. But in case you're trying to decide on image quality needed a basic system (not junk, not top of the line) does this on BNC cables.
Screenshot_20190212-123809_Amcrest View Pro.jpg
Screenshot_20190212-123659_Amcrest View Pro.jpg

2.0 MP cameras, 3.6mm lens - a little narrower field of view than a 2.8mm lens.

/ Home Security Camera question
Thank you, I didn't know about POE. That sounds like the better way to go.

/ Home Security Camera question #7  
CMV...nice resolution. I have been wanting a 4 camera system and it seems they are getting much better.....

/ Home Security Camera question #8  
It seems nice....until something happens. Getting a useable ID, someone has to be pretty close to the camera. A car on the street in 1st pic, will get color, make, model pretty well in daytime - possibly fair description of driver depending on sun angle. Probably not a good plate ID. At night....not a useful picture really. My camera placement sucks (that one is to watch our cars in driveway, but a different one covers street), but you get the idea.

Pitfall of a novice and DIY install...again if doing over, I'd put a lot more thought into camera placement, aiming, etc.

But that's what mine is - 4 camera. More would be nice I guess, but 4 is sufficient. I would like 2 higher resolution cameras, narrower field of vision, color night vision, mounted lower to really cover front & back entry very well. what I have would be fine everywhere else. For an inexpensive "everything you need is in the box" system, it's good for what it is, install was easy to figure out, and everything - including phone app for remote viewing - "just worked" out of the box. Overall I like it, but some things I'll do different/better next time.

/ Home Security Camera question #9  
I have Blue Iris and IP cameras, they work great!
Even have a tiny cheapie in my mailbox.

/ Home Security Camera question #10