Home Security Camera question

/ Home Security Camera question #11  
You really want to run network cables (Cat 5/6) instead of COAX/BNC. And I would suggest two per location. Easier to add something else, or you'll have a spare. Cables are inexpensive enough to do that.

/ Home Security Camera question #12  
If I go POE, would this be all that I needed to install or do I need anther cable for power, or something else?

You only NEED one, but again, I suggest two.

You will also need a POE injector though. That might be a separate device, or a POE enabled switch/router.

/ Home Security Camera question #13  
You only NEED one, but again, I suggest two.

You will also need a POE injector though. That might be a separate device, or a POE enabled switch/router.

Not if using a "boxed" system - the DVR should do that for you/include all that is needed.

/ Home Security Camera question #14  
Thanks CMV, the quality of those pictures looks pretty good.

If I go POE, would this be all that I needed to install or do I need anther cable for power, or something else?

https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-Ethe...ith+power&qid=1549993791&s=electronics&sr=1-5

You can also just buy Cat 5 wire in bulk and run that instead of buying premade cables. Its pretty easy to put the connectors on yourself once you buy the tool to do it. I bought some premade cables for my system but cut the ends off every one of them to make them the correct length at my recorder. Depending on how you are fishing them through your building you might find cutting off one end makes it much easier to fish the wires too. I suggest you a crimp tool anyway so you can cut the cables to length at your camera DVR too since it makes a much cleaner install.
Here is the tool I bought to do my cables, the kit was only about $15 when I got it. There are many similar kits on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018YIM56G/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pldnSite=1

I have a LaView system and am very happy with it. I have had the system about 3 years. It is a POE system with a DVR. You can add up to 4 hard drives to some of the DVR's and they can be set to loop record so you never run out of space. Here is the link to what I got. I bought it with 8 cameras but it is expandable up to 16. I have 12 right now and a 15TB of hard drives installed. They have many different camera options for add on cameras as well. LaView also has great customer service so if you are self-installing they will answer any questions you have along the way.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KXB6E9C/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&pldnSite=1

/ Home Security Camera question #15  
You can do a better system if you build it yourself, go ahead and run your cables and in the meanwhile go to (Ip cam talk) where there is a wealth of information.

/ Home Security Camera question #16  

Pretty sure most DVR security camera systems do POE through the DVR. My LaView system does. You can go up to 320' on POE before you need a signal booster too. If you go that far then run two cables so you can power the booster when you hit 320'.

Adding a second cable is also a good idea if you might want to add accessories later on like an infrared illuminator. The camera will give some IR illumination but I got a couple of these IR illumiators and they make a huge difference in how far the cameras can see at night and they also eliminate some shadows when they are working with the camera IR.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZX1M88/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pldnSite=1

/ Home Security Camera question #18  
Would this be the best cable? I would rather pay a few bucks more for the best option then cut any corners.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matter...+poe&qid=1549996071&s=electronics&sr=1-3&th=1

You probably don't need Cat 6. You can read about the difference between Cat 5 and Cat 6 but I can tell you this, it is a lot harder to put your own connectors on Cat 6 because the wire has a tighter twist and the 4 pairs of wires in it have a plastic piece that separates each pair like a plus sign if you are looking at the end of the cut wire. I can't see any difference in the image quality of the camera on the Cat 6 wire vs all of the others on Cat 5.

/ Home Security Camera question
Thank you. That helps. Since I only need two cables right now, do you feel that it's worth spending $12 more per cable for Cat 6 over Cat 5? Or $24 more for both cables if I go with Cat 6?

/ Home Security Camera question #20  
Thank you. That helps. Since I only need two cables right now, do you feel that it's worth spending $12 more per cable for Cat 6 over Cat 5? Or $24 more for both cables if I go with Cat 6?

Here's an article with all you ever need to know about Cat 5 vs Cat 6...LOL.
Cat5 vs Cat6 Cables: What are the Differences? – FireFold Blog

Personally, I would just stick with Cat 5. You will likely never see a difference in performance that made you say you were glad you spent the extra $12 per cable on the Cat 6.