Home Security Camera question

/ Home Security Camera question #21  
Having been through it, If it were me I would run a pair of cat 5e and I would buy 1000' of cat5e because it's super cheap and easy to put ends on. 1080 will be plenty for a wide-angle non-detail. For an entry anti-theft I would at go at least 4k. Having had a number of brands, I like Amcrest. Good support, and they don't call home to china like some others.

Cat6 is better (there is always better) so if you have the money and want insurance, do that.

/ Home Security Camera question #22  
Mark and run some extras/redundant lines now because of access.
Tape ends so no corrosion on spares.
Think like a thief, how would they access Ur important property?
I started with 4 and that worked for a few years, wished I did more so 2 yr ago I upped to 8 chan.
U can get 8 with min 1 TB of storage pretty inexpensively now.
Cam's can be bought pretty cheap over on fleabay, just make sure they ship FROM USA.
Personally had good luck with sellers outta Jersey, Texas and Cali.
Think ahead for wiring and storage, then budget.
Run an outlet on separate line within ~2-3 ft of camera location.
3.8mm lens are good but there are also vari- focal lenses.
I utilize both..
Mike

/ Home Security Camera question #23  
While I have my walls and attic open and easy to get to, I want to add cables for security cameras. One will be inside to watch the whelping area, which is motivation for this project, but then I also want another camera to watch outside the side of the house in that area. Distance for the longest run is 97 feet if I went in a straight line. With all things considered, I'm well over 100 feet, but well under 150 feet. Once the sheetrock is installed, there wont be a good way to run these cables, so I need to do it now, long before I buy a security system. Of course, once we start having puppies, that will probably change.

Based on all the reviews that I've read, I do not want to go wireless.

It's super easy to run the cables right now.

The cost of the cables is very cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/WildHD-Secur...ateway&sprefix=home+security+,aps,256&sr=8-26

Before I buy these, I wanted to make sure that this is what I should buy. I haven't bought a system, but I want to make sure that when I do, I have the right cables. Does this make sense?

Are these good cables for what I need, or do I need to look for something specific?

Before you buy unknown cables from Amazon, go check prices at HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more! - Monoprice.com , they are the go-to cable, A/V and electronics source of those in the know.
HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more! - Monoprice.com

/ Home Security Camera question #24  
While I have my walls and attic open and easy to get to, I want to add cables for security cameras. One will be inside to watch the whelping area, which is motivation for this project, but then I also want another camera to watch outside the side of the house in that area. Distance for the longest run is 97 feet if I went in a straight line. With all things considered, I'm well over 100 feet, but well under 150 feet. Once the sheetrock is installed, there wont be a good way to run these cables, so I need to do it now, long before I buy a security system. Of course, once we start having puppies, that will probably change.

Based on all the reviews that I've read, I do not want to go wireless.

It's super easy to run the cables right now.

The cost of the cables is very cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/WildHD-Secur...ateway&sprefix=home+security+,aps,256&sr=8-26

Before I buy these, I wanted to make sure that this is what I should buy. I haven't bought a system, but I want to make sure that when I do, I have the right cables. Does this make sense?

Are these good cables for what I need, or do I need to look for something specific?
I only skimmed the responses and I agree you should go with cat5/6. Personally if it were today I would go with cat6 and wouldn't shy away because it's a little bit harder to crimp. Now that doesnt mean I'm saying you should do network cameras but it gives you either option. Yes it can cary power. Get a box of cable and run more than you need in case you want to add later.

I currently use cat5 (was current at the time) for 2 coax CCTV camera systems. To use network cabling with coax/bnc system you plug both ends into a converter balun. This Carrys the signal and power.

I chose to stick with old school CCTV/coax DVR system for a few reasons. They require no internet connection to view and record locally. (Many ipcameras need the cloud/monthly fees and I am rural with very limited connectivity) I can still use an app to remotely view. Supports Pentaplex (honestly not sure if this is still a concern with ipcameras) means I can view live, playback recording, transfer video and I forget what else without it having to stop performing its regular recording functions. Now not all CCTV systems do this but I looked for one that does. A big driver for me was all the options you find on the back of an old school system. Aux output to run any one camera view to a display. I have a small screen at my front door to always see that view when approaching the door. Alarm inputs/outputs to do something crazy like hook into my home automation. (When someone pulls up to the gate my TV turns on (if off) and switches to the input that has the camera view of the gate)

Downside is that I dont think I can get the resolution you can get with today's cameras. Possibly less limited on how many cameras I can expand to? Not sure but my CCTV is 8 and the other is 16 and I'm physically limited to that many physical connections. Ipcameras limit would be bandwidth and internal bus speeds in the DVR if recording locally I think. I'm also practically unlimited in terms of how long to keep recordings and it's not tied to monthly fees just the size of the drive I want to buy and how many cameras I want to record and their resolution. (Higher res takes more storage space.) I record all cameras all the time and just let the DVR overwrite as needed but this gets me well over a month history on each camera. The system flags motion/trigger events so I can search those but feel safer knowing that if something was in the distance and didnt trigger motion i still have it recorded.

/ Home Security Camera question #25  
Consider installing pull ropes or cords rather than actual cables. Then you can tie cables to ropes and pull them in when you know what you want to use . Power is a must unless you want to change out batteries regularly. Wireless signals can't be cut but can be jammed I suppose. You can use the cable you install now as pull cord if you change your mind as long as you DONT TACK OR STAPLE the cable to studs.

/ Home Security Camera question #26  
Consider installing pull ropes or cords rather than actual cables. Then you can tie cables to ropes and pull them in when you know what you want to use . Power is a must unless you want to change out batteries regularly. Wireless signals can't be cut but can be jammed I suppose. You can use the cable you install now as pull cord if you change your mind as long as you DONT TACK OR STAPLE the cable to studs.
Regarding cutting of cables. I recommend cross view of your cameras so you are sure to catch the cutter on a different camera. But more likely deterring the cutting because they cant get out of a camera view

/ Home Security Camera question #27  
The sheer number of post show how many different ways and opinions there are on subject today. One can only wonder what it will be tomorrow, or next year. I would run conduit instead of wire, then I would be good to go installing whatever I eventually select, or change to in the future. There are corrugated plastic conduits designed just for IT wire.

/ Home Security Camera question
Funny, in the Marine Corps, I was stationed at two different US Embassies overseas and we didn't have as many cameras around the embassies as I'm planning on having at my house!!

I'm definitely putting cable in everywhere that I can think of. I agree that they systems are reasonably priced and I can do it in stages. Buy a few cameras at a time. What I failed to mention is that I'm currently in stage two of a three stage addition to my house, with stage three being a massive addition where the security stuff will end up being located. My only need for right now is to get all the cables in place before sheetrock and insulation is done. From what I'm reading, Cat 6 has a few advantages, and knowing that I'm still probably five years out from finishing all of what I'm planning on doing, technology might be outdated for Cat6.

My next question is for the outdoor cameras. How would you end the cables? Do you just stick them out of the wall and that's that? Or are their boxes, like junction our outlet boxes used for electrical that can be used? If you just stick the cable out of the wall, how far out should it be? Then seal with caulking?

/ Home Security Camera question #29  
Funny, in the Marine Corps, I was stationed at two different US Embassies overseas and we didn't have as many cameras around the embassies as I'm planning on having at my house!!

I'm definitely putting cable in everywhere that I can think of. I agree that they systems are reasonably priced and I can do it in stages. Buy a few cameras at a time. What I failed to mention is that I'm currently in stage two of a three stage addition to my house, with stage three being a massive addition where the security stuff will end up being located. My only need for right now is to get all the cables in place before sheetrock and insulation is done. From what I'm reading, Cat 6 has a few advantages, and knowing that I'm still probably five years out from finishing all of what I'm planning on doing, technology might be outdated for Cat6.

My next question is for the outdoor cameras. How would you end the cables? Do you just stick them out of the wall and that's that? Or are their boxes, like junction our outlet boxes used for electrical that can be used? If you just stick the cable out of the wall, how far out should it be? Then seal with caulking?
In the cameras I've installed,( just personally not professionally) the camera housing covers that hole so I do nothing additional. Pull the cable out enough to make the connection and push the excess back into the hole you are covering with the camera/mount as you install it. If your camera housing is directly in the weather and not under an eve you may want to make sure there is enough weather protection else just add sealant. If you are ever in a situation where you have exposed cable outside the house you should always try to create a loop or otherwise ensure that part of the exposed cable is lower than the entry hole. This allows any rain or condensation that finds it's way to any part of the exposed cable to to drip from the lowest point instead of following it into the structure.

/ Home Security Camera question #30  
FYI anything over 2mp doesn't give good nightvision results.