Homemade tractor

/ Homemade tractor #1  

Boganism

Tractor
None
So, due to unforseen expenses,the whole idea of buying a tractor is un-feasable (seriously why are all the cheap tractors useless for running tillers where I am???)

I've decided to build my own instead, seeing as it'll be similar cost and hopefully (slightly) more useful, but before I start I just wanted to ask around and find out some questions

1. What would you recommend to use as the frame? I can't buy an old pickup (thankyou Australia for keeping value on them) so I'm kinda SOL, I was thinking of finding cheap/scrap metal and welding it as much as I can and hoping for the best, but I don't actually know how strong it'll be,or lengthening the mower frame and reinforcing it

2. What type of transmission is best? I have an old lawnmower (cub cadet lt1042) that I was planning to steal the hydrostat off, run a 2:1 reduction and use that for pulling, but I'm worried about it not just exploding.

3. What engines? I'm thinking of a smallish lawnmower engine, such as the one off the cub cadet and plonking it straight on (nearly) the transmission, but others have said to use a hydraulic system. So which is best?

4. Pto, would it be possible? I was hoping of salvaging 1 or 2 old lawnmower engines,( around 15-20hp each) running them in tandem with the belts driving to a rear mounted pto ( the plans make more sense in my head i promise) but I've read alot of issues with gas engines just not having power, so would it be worth it finding either a car engine,going hydraulics again, or even electric motor?

5. Last one thankfully, am I a moron for this, or would it be somewhat sensible to try? This projects more for fun but I do want to atleast get some use out of it. I was hoping to atleast still use the deck and maybe run a plow or rototiller off the backend.

/ Homemade tractor #3  
Better off finding a used up non running tractor to fix up, or since you are familiar with Cub cadets look for an older GT (garden tractor) series (1800 2100 series from 1990 vintage) and build up from there. They have a full frame and solid transmission.

/ Homemade tractor #4  
If you can build it yourself you can fix up a non-running tractor that you can buy for less than the metal to make one.
And that way you get all the R&D for free.

Fix an old one. Cheaper, faster, better, ecological - and make your own implements for it.

/ Homemade tractor #5  
The other day I was looking at a home made wheeled excavator or backhoe. It had a pretty long reach, could probably dig a 14 foot deep trench. It powered by a big straight 6 gasoline engine. The frame was old I-beams. It had a pretty big truck rear axle used as the drive and it was at the hoe end. The steering wheels were at the back, like a forklift or a backhoe. The steering was hydraulic, using hydraulic cylinders. There were at least two hydraulic pumps. The thing was really crude looking and it was obvious that much, if not all, of the steel used was used. There were all sorts of extra holes, evidence of weldments that had been burned off, that kind of thing. I can't imagine how many hours it must have taken to put the thing together. I suppose if I had no money, lots of time, and could get the parts for scrap prices, it might be worth it to build something like it but for what it did it seems it would be cheaper and much faster to at least start with a basic machine that could be repaired. That way stuff like steering and the drive wheels would already be in place, and be in the right place.
Eric

/ Homemade tractor
Better off finding a used up non running tractor to fix up, or since you are familiar with Cub cadets look for an older GT (garden tractor) series (1800 2100 series from 1990 vintage) and build up from there. They have a full frame and solid transmission.
Sadly in Australia, to get a non running tractor (that can be used with a tiller) Is atleast 3-4000, and to get one capable of mowing (older b series) ranges from 6-11000, and even the 11K ones are from early 2000. And older cub cadet s just don't exist here, that's the problem with the market here, is that old stuff is still expensive, and it either doesn't exist, or someone wants alot of money, or in my case it's a 4 day drive

/ Homemade tractor
If you can build it yourself you can fix up a non-running tractor that you can buy for less than the metal to make one.
And that way you get all the R&D for free.

Fix an old one. Cheaper, faster, better, ecological - and make your own implements for it.
Only problem, finding an old one that can work a tiller (that isn't 80hp) is 3-4000+ and finding one that can use a midmount, or just a hydrostatic is 6-10000. For some reason our prices are really really high compared to America's, so if I got one that I'd want to use, I'd Be atleast 8-10000 dollars down

/ Homemade tractor #9  
What size tiller do you need to work? My Yanmar YM2310 tractor will easily work a 5 foot wide tiller. The tractor is a 23HP tractor and I use 540 RPM for the tiller. It works great. The tractor has more than enough power for the tiller. I looked at the Cub lt1042 you mentioned and there is no way I would use the transmission from it to move a tractor that could power a 5 foot wide tiller. So, how about you tell us all what size tiller you want to power and drag around? That would really help the folks here to give you meaningful advice. BTW, you mentioned using two lawn mower engines in tandem. I think this would be a big mistake. Furthermore, the two engines you were considering would be about 40 HP combined. That's way more HP than a tiller that could be moved with the Cub transmission would use.
Eric

/ Homemade tractor #10  
Do an internet search of doodle bugs, go from there, they used, in some cases, dual transmissions. If you get lucky you may find a four wheel drive unit with a pto on it to run the tiller.
Do you already have the tiller?
If you do you may consider just adding it's own power plant and just towing it with your car? Just a thought.