Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #1  

JRobyn

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330HST
My wife and her dad do most of the firewood handling around here. I've heard y'all's comments about the immense usefulness of a Pickaroon, so figured I'd get her one (and some tongs). So what is a good one? I've always had good experience with Fiskars stuff; is this one a good choice?

Hookaroon (28")

I like the hardened head, fiber handle, and lifetime warranty.

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #2  
I am happpy with myh Log Rite, tube steel handle and a round spike. The spike has a slight hook back towards the operator so it doesn't take a hard swing to hook a chunk.

Never tried the longer hook like on the Fiskars (I didn't even know they had one) but it looks more awkward than the LogRite.

Basically, ANY hookeroon will be appreciated as even a poor out would be an outstanding tool when doing firewood.

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #3  
I haven't used a Fiskars, but I've used a couple other models. The logrite is my absolute favorite. Seriously a great tool. Not much to break, but they sell replacement tips at a very reasonable price. They also sell them painted orange and with Stihl written on them. Not much more than what they want for the Fiskars. I have the 30". There isn't a single thing I'd change about it.

I have one of their 30" mill special cant hooks also. Great tool.

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #4  
Never used anything quite like that - alway used a peavey.

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #5  
   / Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #6  
I got a fiskars for Christmas. I have not had a reason to use it yet. I will be going to my Georgia property in March. I will take it to see how well it works.

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #7  
This place is great for classic logging tools made in the USA:

Peavey Manufacturing Company - Pickeroons

I have one of their cant hooks and it's a fine tool.

In case you're wondering, the well known "peavey" tool got it's name from this company.

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #8  
My wife and her dad do most of the firewood handling around here. I've heard y'all's comments about the immense usefulness of a Pickaroon, so figured I'd get her one (and some tongs). So what is a good one? I've always had good experience with Fiskars stuff; is this one a good choice?

Hookaroon (28")

I like the hardened head, fiber handle, and lifetime warranty.

I've got the Council tool and I've never had a complaint with it. 400_16127.jpg Comfortable to use and just the right weight. It takes all the stoop and bend out of handling wood. For a Peavey/Cant Hook I have a Woodchuck but I just use it for rolling and jacking logs. W004_12058_600.jpg

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #9  
FWIW I bought a Logrite peavey and that should have been my first purchase instead of the farm store one a bought first. Made in USA too.

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #10  
FWIW I bought a Logrite peavey and that should have been my first purchase instead of the farm store one a bought first. Made in USA too.

Yep, logrite makes a great product. I've used the peavey and council tool pickaroon, and they are heavy and clumsy compared to the logrite. Logrite stuff is super durable, made in the USA, painted bright blue so it's almost impossible to lose in the woods, and the handles never break.