Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #11  
I watch the videos with the pickeroon and it seems that it is a struggle getting the wood unhooked. Is this real? It looks really frustrating.

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #12  
I use a pickeroon that is probably 50 years old.....works great. Getting the wood unhooked is a simple jerk of the handle. Sure beats bending over a thousand times when picking up or stacking wood.

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #13  
I keep thinking about one as that bending over is getting tougher all the time.

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #14  
I watch the videos with the pickeroon and it seems that it is a struggle getting the wood unhooked. Is this real? It looks really frustrating.

It takes finesse. The goal is to swing just had enough to lodge the tip deep enough to achieve the task at hand and not be stuck when you've moved the wood. It doesn't with perfectly every time, but once you get the hang of it, it's a great tool.

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation
I'm convinced. LogRite it is. Thanks fellas!

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #16  
This place is great for classic logging tools made in the USA:

Peavey Manufacturing Company - Pickeroons

I have one of their cant hooks and it's a fine tool.

In case you're wondering, the well known "peavey" tool got it's name from this company.

This is where I buy mine, I have several in different lengths, very well made.. They supply all the local paper mills..

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #17  

It really isn't, if it's made right, all you do is push down on the handle, the tool can't be to sharp, it needs to be blunt or it goes to far into green wood..

The hookaroon handle is not for me, an axe handle with a bit of a curve is easier and works way better..

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation
Got the LogRite, and the Timber Tuff tongs - Amazon.com: Timber Tuff TMW-4 Log Tongs: Home Improvement The Hookaroon is the blue one with a slightly smaller diameter handle and the smaller, new design "tooth". Has a very good "feel". Weight and balance are good; good grip with the foam-covered handle.

Y'all are absolutely right about both technique and frustration releasing it if the technique is off. She hasn't quite mastered the technique yet, so she hasn't been overwhelmed with joy on the Hookaroon. It complicates things that she's working a variety of wood - fresh-cut hickory, dry hickory, cedar, poplar, that are very different in hardness.

OTOH, she absolutely LOVES the tongs. Perfect for picking up wet, dirty rounds out of the leaves and lifting them up onto the splitter.

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #19  
I've a cant hook, a peavey and a timberjack. The timberjack comes in handy when I want to cut logs smaller because it let's me easily lift an end. When moving logs around to get them on the mill I often used both the cant hook and peavey (one in each hand) to "walk" the log.

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #20  
Got the LogRite, and the Timber Tuff tongs - Amazon.com: Timber Tuff TMW-4 Log Tongs: Home Improvement The Hookaroon is the blue one with a slightly smaller diameter handle and the smaller, new design "tooth". Has a very good "feel". Weight and balance are good; good grip with the foam-covered handle.

Y'all are absolutely right about both technique and frustration releasing it if the technique is off. She hasn't quite mastered the technique yet, so she hasn't been overwhelmed with joy on the Hookaroon. It complicates things that she's working a variety of wood - fresh-cut hickory, dry hickory, cedar, poplar, that are very different in hardness.

OTOH, she absolutely LOVES the tongs. Perfect for picking up wet, dirty rounds out of the leaves and lifting them up onto the splitter.

Just a word of caution on the hookaroon. One very important part of learning the technique is to realize that you're wielding a very sharp tool and you're swinging it with enough force to lodge it into a chunk of wood. That, of course is more than enough force to sink the thing into your calf. I've never injured myself, but I've had a couple of glancing blows that were close calls. Just don't forget what's going on, and pay attention.

It does take some playing around to get the hang of them, but they are a super handy tool. One tip would be to experiment with sticking the point not just in the end grain, but also try going through the bark. Try different angles too. Also, hickory is a tough wood to hook. Hard and bouncy. Soft wood is definitely easier.