Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #22  
I watch the videos with the pickeroon and it seems that it is a struggle getting the wood unhooked. Is this real? It looks really frustrating.

Somewhat with those heavy wood handled ones. I like the Logrite, light, point nicely shaped, stick, drag and at most a little wiggle to free it. It does not work well picking up pieces though. drag and toss works okay.

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation
Just a word of caution on the hookaroon. One very important part of learning the technique is to realize that you're wielding a very sharp tool and you're swinging it with enough force to lodge it into a chunk of wood. That, of course is more than enough force to sink the thing into your calf. I've never injured myself, but I've had a couple of glancing blows that were close calls. Just don't forget what's going on, and pay attention.

It does take some playing around to get the hang of them, but they are a super handy tool. One tip would be to experiment with sticking the point not just in the end grain, but also try going through the bark. Try different angles too. Also, hickory is a tough wood to hook. Hard and bouncy. Soft wood is definitely easier.

ROGER on that!

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #26  
This place is great for classic logging tools made in the USA:

Peavey Manufacturing Company - Pickeroons

I have one of their cant hooks and it's a fine tool.

In case you're wondering, the well known "peavey" tool got it's name from this company.

I have a long handled hookeroon from Peavy since I used to live near there. It's all I have ever used and is widely considered the best around. Take a photo of the tip when you get it so you can put the "hook" back on the end when it needs it. Peavy makes great stuff and guys working the woods around there would own nothing less.

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #27  
I ended up buying the Fiskars 28". I understand they also make a 30", which would have been better for me. Still, the Fiskars tool easily penetrates even seasoned oak and hickory, in spite of its light weight. This is because it has a very sharp, hardened tip. I use it to get seasoned firewood rounds out of the pile and to the splitter. (I age my wood for about 2 years before splitting it. Old habit from the days I split it all with a Monster Maul.) I have not used the Logrite or any other brand. But I have been quite pleased with the Fiskars product.

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #28  
I will add one more comment. I have the Woodchuck Tool Timberjack Log Lifter, as well as the fiberglass/steel handle 48" handle version of a log lifter by Northern Tool. The Timberjack can lift much heavier logs than the Norther, due to the added leverage in its foot geometry. Plus, I actually bent the stand part of the Northern tool. Based on the Timberjack, I seriously considered Woodchuck's Hookaroon as well. Anyone use their product?

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #29  
I bought a Logrite model, but wish I went with the Fiskars instead. Just something about the handle, it seems the Fiskars has a little ergonomic bend to it, wheras the Logrite is a simple, straight, aluminum pole. I think I'd have a better 'grip' on the Fiskars but I've never used one so I don't know that to be a fact.

I also have other Logrite tools, peavey's, cant hooks etc, and I love those, but just not crazy about the pickaroon.

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #30  
I bought a Logrite model, but wish I went with the Fiskars instead. Just something about the handle, it seems the Fiskars has a little ergonomic bend to it, wheras the Logrite is a simple, straight, aluminum pole. I think I'd have a better 'grip' on the Fiskars but I've never used one so I don't know that to be a fact.

I also have other Logrite tools, peavey's, cant hooks etc, and I love those, but just not crazy about the pickaroon.

You want me to PM you my address? I would be happy to dispose of it for you...