Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #41  
Wait, does splitting season ever really end? We work year round to feed our wood furnace. Lol.

I burn 6-7 cord/year. Keep at least one year ahead so I cut and stack rounds in the summer and fall, then split a bit every day (weather permitting) all winter. If I get too far behind, the hydraulic splitter comes out.

I took a day off from cutting today and began the task of filling up the woodshed (3 cord) and porch (3.5 cord). I'll be burning some oak, some maple, some red fir, some locust and a bit of willow mixed in this year. Normally it is just locust/willow mixed 50/50 but I luked into a pile of old oak logs last March. Yeiled 4 cord but it is poor quality, only about half of it is good solid wood.

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #42  
Why not one of each? Why swing 12 lb when a few pounds will do the job on a lot of stuff you are splitting. I used to use wedge/sledge, maul. Then the Fiskars came on scene almosdt totally replaced the maul and cut down a bunch on wedge/sledge.

I have enough stuff lying around - too much if you ask my wife. The other thing is that anything under 8" I do not split. I can understand not wanting to swing a 12 pounder at a kindling but that is not what I do.

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #43  
I did end up buying one of each. Now I can use small, medium or large, as the occasion demands or as my mood dictates. I split down to about 4" usually, as I have a thermal storage masonry fireplace (Tulikivi). It works best when you let the fire burn as fast and as hot as possible, then let it go out. The stone is still warm 24 hours after the fire goes out.