Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #32  
I bought a Logrite model, but wish I went with the Fiskars instead. Just something about the handle, it seems the Fiskars has a little ergonomic bend to it, wheras the Logrite is a simple, straight, aluminum pole. I think I'd have a better 'grip' on the Fiskars but I've never used one so I don't know that to be a fact.

I also have other Logrite tools, peavey's, cant hooks etc, and I love those, but just not crazy about the pickaroon.

I have not used the Logrite tool, but others have made the same comment you have about the handle. I can tell you that the Fiskars handle feels very comfortable; it may be the most ergonomic of the lot.

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation
My first inclination was to go with the Fiskars since I have been very pleased with all of their other products. But I bought the LogRite due to the significant preference for it in this thread. Now y'all are turning on me!

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #34  
Use whatever makes you happy! I am sure the Logrite will last a lifetime. I have another story to tell. I still have the original 15 lb Monster Maul. On another thread, it seems many people like the Fiskars splitting axe better, even though it only weighs 5.85 lb. Its users claim that the lighter weight gives higher velocity and more accuracy, as well as less fatigue. I am almost intrigued enough to buy one. But it seems less macho than a 15 pounder. I will say one thing: I am sure the Fiskars plastic handle does a better job absorbing shock than the steel pipe handle on my Monster Maul. (Yes, mine is the original. It does not have a rubber foam covered handle. It is hard to grip when wet.

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #35  
Don't want to give off the wrong impression, the Logrite one is certainly good quality and will last a lifetime. I'm just splitting hairs here between the two and if I were to buy it over again I'd probably go with the Fiskars instead. However, in the grand scheme of things, how much can you really "prefer" one over the other, they are about as basic as it gets as far as tools go, and they both have lifetime warrantee if I remember correctly. And really, in relation to how much we spend on our tractors and implements, these things are so cheap that you could buy one of each and choose which one you like best....which, I may just do :laughing:

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #36  
Use whatever makes you happy! I am sure the Logrite will last a lifetime. I have another story to tell. I still have the original 15 lb Monster Maul. On another thread, it seems many people like the Fiskars splitting axe better, even though it only weighs 5.85 lb. Its users claim that the lighter weight gives higher velocity and more accuracy, as well as less fatigue. I am almost intrigued enough to buy one. But it seems less macho than a 15 pounder. I will say one thing: I am sure the Fiskars plastic handle does a better job absorbing shock than the steel pipe handle on my Monster Maul. (Yes, mine is the original. It does not have a rubber foam covered handle. It is hard to grip when wet.

i am with you on this. I have a 12 lb monster maul and it does very well. I cannot imagine a 5.85# maul even coming close to the splitting energy I can develop on my 12 pounder.

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #37  
i am with you on this. I have a 12 lb monster maul and it does very well. I cannot imagine a 5.85# maul even coming close to the splitting energy I can develop on my 12 pounder.

Why not one of each? Why swing 12 lb when a few pounds will do the job on a lot of stuff you are splitting. I used to use wedge/sledge, maul. Then the Fiskars came on scene almosdt totally replaced the maul and cut down a bunch on wedge/sledge.

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #38  
I ended up buying the Fiskars X27, though it is the end of my splitting season. It does better than expected. My Monster maul can break bigger stuff in 1 hit, though. But now I am tempted to buy the Fiskars 8 lb Iso-Core maul. It just might do about asa well as the Monster Maul. Then I will choose small, medium or large according to the job at hand. And I still have the option of using my 20-ton electric Ramsplitter, which can split about the same as a 27 ton rental splitter, due to the splitting wedge geometry (two stages of wedge: acute, then wider.)

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #39  
Wait, does splitting season ever really end? We work year round to feed our wood furnace. Lol.

/ Hookaroon/Pickaroon recommendation #40  
I don't cut or split wood in the summer. Too hot for me! I burn 5 cords per year. By the way, I did get the Fiskars 8 lb iso-core also. Next spring, I will try it out a bit.