Buying Advice How can you evaluate a 4310 without seeing it in person?

/ How can you evaluate a 4310 without seeing it in person? #41  
My only questions now are how much of a fuel consumption difference is there between the 4310 and 4410. I don't need the extra hp but if I can get it for the same price as a 4310 I'd take it. I looked at the 3032E/3038E about a month ago and decided that I'd rather have a used 4310 for less money. The only difference between them is a turbo as I understand it. Is this similar with the 4310/4410?

Foggy1111 and Zebrafive brought up warranties on used machines which I had never heard of before. I tried to do a search on it but couldn't find anything. Are they common? How difficult would it be to get a dealership half-way across the country to honor one?

Thanks you guys are great.

Fuel consumption on the 4310 and 4410 is slight...doubt you'd see enough difference to amount to anything.
The 4310 and 4410 have different engines. The 4410 engine has a few more cubic inches (or centimeters, if you prefer). No turbo...don't believe the 3032 or 3038 machines are turboed either (but some of the 3x20 tractors are...which might be what's confusing you).

As far as warranty...if you can get one, then you have to convince your local dealer to honor it. I doubt you get a warranty...but I've been wrong before.

/ How can you evaluate a 4310 without seeing it in person? #42  
Minor blip Roy, but the 3038E does have a turbo.

/ How can you evaluate a 4310 without seeing it in person? #43  
   / How can you evaluate a 4310 without seeing it in person?
So I hate to break it to you Foggy1111, although buying out-of-state gets you out of sales tax, it doesn't get you out of use tax in your own state. Thats a bummer...

/ How can you evaluate a 4310 without seeing it in person? #45  
although buying out-of-state gets you out of sales tax, it doesn't get you out of use tax in your own state
Thats a good point. And some states are really starting to crack down on it too thanks to their budgets being seriously out of kilter.

/ How can you evaluate a 4310 without seeing it in person? #46  
So I hate to break it to you Foggy1111, although buying out-of-state gets you out of sales tax, it doesn't get you out of use tax in your own state. Thats a bummer...

Yeah....your right.....no escaping the tax man I guess. At least it was a little less tax out of state.

/ How can you evaluate a 4310 without seeing it in person? #47  
My 4310 sat outside the first 5 years of her life. Still looks very good. She's inside now and seems happier. I have just over 200 hours on her now. As far as the hood is concerned, mine broke at the hinges when I tried to close it. It lifted just fine, but when I went to close it, she cracked the connectors under the hood. Same thing happened with my friends 4310. A new hood isn't cheap, so consider a replaced hood a good thing.

My front end loader gets a lot of work. The bucket isn't pretty, but it has many miles to go.

My point is that most of your concerns seem cosmetic related. Tractors are work horses. You can only hope that the previous owner changed the fluids and greased her up regularly.

Good luck...I've been thinking about a cab model... :)

+1 You pretty much just described my tractor except that my hood hasn't broke at the hinges. My salesman taught me before I took possesion that you have to manually push back the hood's latch lever to lower. OTOH, the hood's lid over the gas cap has broken. It stays in place under normal use but if I ever trailer it, it will need to be held down. I just waxed my FEL, I know, laugh if you want but it really made it look better. Used Meguiars cleaner wax. A guy who used to post on here frequently, Rockyridgefarm, always touted for people to wax their new shiny green paint when it was new to keep it lasting shiny for years.

Mlg, I would say that if you are the type that is worried over scratches and stuff, I would recommend you buy new or closer to new. Most fellows use their tractors and get scratches and minor rust from use. Mowing thru brush is a scratchy dusty proposition. Bucket rust is an afternoon of sanding and painting if you are that type. Only to be scratched up by the next scoop of gravel you load. I have a friend who is a HYPER scratch sensitive type. If he sees one scratch, "Its a piece of scrap". He could never own a tractor. He'd be waxing under the bush hog. The tractor you are looking at appears to have normal wear and tear. The price is maybe a grand on the high side but I was thinking power beyond was kind of higher than $200 bucks. The mid PTO would put you $$ closer to a front end snow blower option. Ask 'em to throw in a 5 foot mower.

You could wait until another one comes available neared to you or you could go rent a Jetta TDI and make a 2-3 day whirlwind tour looking at as many as you could find in a sort of round about tour. Then do your dealing and have it shipped your way.

/ How can you evaluate a 4310 without seeing it in person? #48  
Foggy1111 and Zebrafive brought up warranties on used machines which I had never heard of before. I tried to do a search on it but couldn't find anything. Are they common? How difficult would it be to get a dealership half-way across the country to honor one?

Thanks you guys are great.[/QUOTE]
-------------------------------------------------------------
I hope I didn't miss-lead you on a warranty. My thoughts were....that on later model tractors, there is oftentimes factory warranty that can apply....and factory warranties can be for a period of years.

Tho....I have seen warranties offered by dealers on engines and trannies based on 50/50 for 90 days and such. These warranties provide some level of assurance....if the dealer isn't too far away.

Buying a machine with a few hundred hours and no warranty has some risk.....but late model machines are pretty reliable IMO. Sometimes you just gotta believe the seller and/or trust your instincts. Getting up in the morning has risks too. :laughing:

/ How can you evaluate a 4310 without seeing it in person? #49  
Buying a machine with a few hundred hours and no warranty has some risk.....but late model machines are pretty reliable IMO. Sometimes you just gotta believe the seller and/or trust your instincts. Getting up in the morning has risks too. :laughing:

Old tractors (more then 5 or 6 years...but that's new to some guys) are reliable too.
I'd be very surprised if you can get a warranty beyond the factory warranty (unless you can buy one). And, as written several posts back, it's going to be very difficult to find a local dealer who will honor another dealer's warranty.

I do agree with Foggy though...you got to go with your gut sometimes.
And frankly, after all these posts about that 4310, you're being too hesitant. Review your needs...you may not be ready for a tractor yet.

/ How can you evaluate a 4310 without seeing it in person? #50  
Too "tag along" a bit. I would assume from this discussion that a 4310 w/235 hours and a 300X FEL might be priced a bit high at $18,500?

Is the 300X same as the 300CX except for the quick attach? Same lifting capacity? I see some of the 4310s with 4xx FELs...is that same or different than 300X/300CX series?

This tractor is close by and I probably can confirm prior use and perhaps talk to previous owner.

IF all checks out...what would you call Great price...and OK price?

Thanks...4310 fans.

Also, what xx20 series is the 4310 closest to?

Thanks...Tom R

UPDATE...sold for $18,000! The dealer said it was so clean they didn't even wash it. Even the FEL was clean. Still I do not think I would be interested at $18K when you can get a 3320 brand new for not much more than $20K...and get 0% financing??? TMR

Last edited: