How Hard Can a Tractor Pull?

/ How Hard Can a Tractor Pull? #22  
Come-alongs are very very slow to use!

Try getting some pulleys, you can then double/quadruple etc your pulling power very easily. (If you have a strong nearby tree to use as the fixed point).

/ How Hard Can a Tractor Pull?
i like the look of it. does it work well?
I would put it like this: I don't think anything works "well" with stumps except for heavy equipment, but this thing is infinitely better than an ordinary shovel. Stumps are a curse to all humanity.

/ How Hard Can a Tractor Pull? #25  
To answer original question i believe you can dead pull approximately what vehicle weighs. If you get some weight transfer then potentially more.

I think there are some companies that actually publish draw bar pull for their equipment. I think CAT used to for their dozers.

/ How Hard Can a Tractor Pull? #27  
get a pallet fork under it and pry up, roll it if you can from there. I've rolled 4,000 lb rocks with my tractor.

/ How Hard Can a Tractor Pull? #28  
If my 70-year-old Case SC (roughly 30HP) couldn't pull a rock out, I wouldn't bother even trying with come-alongs. My Case can rip a set of typical "2-ton" come-alongs apart without even grunting.

Attachments

• IMAG0022.JPG
    IMAG0022.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 101
   / How Hard Can a Tractor Pull? #29  
Here's some Ag engineering applied to exactly this problem: TRACTOR PERFORMANCE ON SOFT SOIL - EMPIRICAL . The short-hand answer is "It depends", but weight is a key factor at slow speeds.
Interesting. I was expecting more variables to be addressed. Weight, surface, tires, etc. They addressed wheel slip, but I didn't see any comparisons using different tires.

/ How Hard Can a Tractor Pull? #30  
webrock.jpg

This started out as a small "corner" of rock sticking out of the ground.
Dig before you try yanking it out.
(Btw, It's still in the ground)