Tractor Sizing How Much Can A Sub Compact Tractor lift?

/ How Much Can A Sub Compact Tractor lift? #31  
This chart looks reasonable and has moisture content for green Ash at 45%. I cut this particular tree down at my Aunt's house just days before because it was dying - only had a hand full of leaves this year. So it was likely dryer than the 45% for a healthy green tree.

firewood_facts_image.jpg

/ How Much Can A Sub Compact Tractor lift? #32  
This chart looks reasonable and has moisture content for green Ash at 45%. I cut this particular tree down at my Aunt's house just days before because it was dying - only had a hand full of leaves this year. So it was likely dryer than the 45% for a healthy green tree.

View attachment 445678

Thats one of the charts saved in my references. Have about a dozen different ones regarding wood weights, moistures, cord weights, etc. Got tired of searching all the time:laughing:

/ How Much Can A Sub Compact Tractor lift?
I don't think there is a big market for large logs around here. Many of the mills around here get them for free from tree companies that don't have anything big enough to chip / grind them and need to get rid of them. I get big logs for free all the time from a friend who lets a big tree company dump on his property (for pay) and then a mulch company comes in and grinds it and keeps the mulch at no cost to him. Too many trees, not enough people who want them.

Glade, I don't know whete you are located but in our area . . Old growth large hardwood logs are desired. Now ash is a touchy isdue because the emerald ash bore is forcing counties to cut down most ash because of the disease or to stop the spread. A friend just 2 days ago had a non-diseased tree cut down (about 30 inch diameter) and the amish will buy it from him to mill. While ash is great to split and burn . . times have changed these last 3 decades . . And good old growth large hardwoods are more useful while there is tons of less quality hardwood for burning needs.

/ How Much Can A Sub Compact Tractor lift? #34  
Glade, I don't know whete you are located but in our area . . Old growth large hardwood logs are desired. Now ash is a touchy isdue because the emerald ash bore is forcing counties to cut down most ash because of the disease or to stop the spread. A friend just 2 days ago had a non-diseased tree cut down (about 30 inch diameter) and the amish will buy it from him to mill. While ash is great to split and burn . . times have changed these last 3 decades . . And good old growth large hardwoods are more useful while there is tons of less quality hardwood for burning needs.

I'm in Eastern PA. Does anyone know the best places for me to find out what various species of large diameter wood is worth?

I'm in Eastern PA. Does anyone know the best places for me to find out what various species of large diameter wood is worth?

Glade,

PA has large populations of Amish and Meninites or similar sects. Amish are more likely to be interested in big single trees than are loggers. Often logging out small areas of multiple hardwood trees . . the Amish will cut and gather and then act as the midfle man with loggers and keep a few hardwoods for their needs.

A unique thing about the Amish is that in each "band" or grouping of Amish . . they divide their market so they don't compete with each other. As an example . . someone with no sons may be the "door" craftsman and have a nice but smaller workshop . . And also have a smaller farm but daughters can help with the farm or greenhouse efforts. There will be a family with multiple sons who will have a large workshop and be the "cabinet" craftsman . . . and usually have a larger farm as well. If there are any Amish in your area they will be very very geographically close . . 1 to 8 mile radius. Farther away than that is a different group.

Point is . . ask any one member of an Amish group about hardwood logs and they woll give you a single name to talk to for their group. Usually Amish or Mennonites gather group by group but still in 20 to 30 mile radiuses of groups . . Depending on farming land opportunities and they have contacts for hauling darn near anything of any size. They really have some very very large equipment in their woodworking areas and milling efforts.

In western WI we have lots of kiln and log processing businesses and red oak and catalpa are prized for milling for furniture and decorative. Of course walnut is always a priority and alder has expanded as well as good hickory . . Both for kitchens. I'm assuming PA has alot of those businesses also . . but maybe more in western pa. ??

/ How Much Can A Sub Compact Tractor lift? #36  
How much can your FEL lift?
It depends.
Your bucket/forks/etc usually have a separate weight rating, how many pounds they can use before the bucket won't rotate. That figure is almost always higher than the overall FEL lift weight, and comes in handy for prying things up like boulders too large to completely lift, but small enough to wiggle around.
The FEL portion of the assembly varies between being out horizontally, or being close to max height. It can lift the least when it's all the way down.

/ How Much Can A Sub Compact Tractor lift? #37  
I haven't done a formal study but I did fairly easily lift and move eight 88lb blocks (704 lbs) not including bucket, at a time in my FEL bucket... raised them up about three feet. I have no idea what kind of max lift weight is possible with my BX but I don't care to run that kind of experiment. Interesting that the bucket lift spec rating is 518lbs at full height (500mm from pivot pin) also about where my load CG was at. I'm thinking the published Kubota lift rating is conservative, either that or the lift ability drops off significantly near the max lift height. Breakout force is 992lbs. Not sure what that is but guessing the point where you get hydraulic bypass?

Dragoneggs I just got off the phone with my Kubota dealer, and he says the lift capacities on the Kubota website are just wrong. In particular, he says that you will never be able to lift the 745 lbs. "at the pivot pin" capacity that is published, and in fact he says he has tried and cannot lift more that 500 lbs., even with the bucket tilted back (which presumably centres the load over the pivot pin). If so, this is a major misrepresentation on the part of Kubota. So, let's all try out or BX25's and see what we come up with.

Dragoneggs I just got off the phone with my Kubota dealer, and he says the lift capacities on the Kubota website are just wrong. In particular, he says that you will never be able to lift the 745 lbs. "at the pivot pin" capacity that is published, and in fact he says he has tried and cannot lift more that 500 lbs., even with the bucket tilted back (which presumably centres the load over the pivot pin). If so, this is a major misrepresentation on the part of Kubota. So, let's all try out or BX25's and see what we come up with.

Check, I would be completely surprised if my Massey was that much stronger than a bx25 or bx2670. In my tests I used the hardest testing with forks and weight loads extended out on the pallet instead of tight to the pins. If your dealer us correct . . we're talking 350 lbs different. It just doesn't seem possible. However in all my years considering kubotas . . I never did really test thr fel with any level of weight in it.

/ How Much Can A Sub Compact Tractor lift? #39  
Check, I would be completely surprised if my Massey was that much stronger than a bx25 or bx2670. In my tests I used the hardest testing with forks and weight loads extended out on the pallet instead of tight to the pins. If your dealer us correct . . we're talking 350 lbs different. It just doesn't seem possible. However in all my years considering kubotas . . I never did really test thr fel with any level of weight in it.

I agree. It would be a major bummer, so let's all try it out and see what we get.

/ How Much Can A Sub Compact Tractor lift? #40  
Interestingly enough, I always felt my FEL on the Kubota L3400hst I used to have might have been slightly underrated. I thought some of the loads I lifted with it were heavier than the stated lift rating. My current tractor the Kioti will outlift the Kubota, but it is supposed to on paper. It is also a heavier, slightly larger tractor with about the same horsepower as the Kubota had. The Kubota was a bout 1/2 a ton lighter, so a little easier on the lawn.