How old a tractor would you go if you require a front end loader?

/ How old a tractor would you go if you require a front end loader? #11  
Most older tractors pre 90's are 2wd and have manual trans. Both make for challenging loader operation. I Would look for a hydro 4wd tractor or a shuttle at the least for your first tractor. 🍻

/ How old a tractor would you go if you require a front end loader? #12  
Man are you in luck. My 1950 Ferguson TO30 moved about 300 yards of dirt to level an area. Stump hauling as well. 2wd, no power steering, runs like a champ. Did all the grading as well. Then there's my 1953 oliver 70 industrial, with power steering! Nearly 60 years later and still doing the job.

k64SrNA.png

xvbHXCq.jpg

/ How old a tractor would you go if you require a front end loader? #13  
OP - You need to think about the physical size machine you want beyond just under 40hp... I've got a JD300, and a MF 202 Workbull. Both of which are 45ish hp, but are full size industrial machines. Loaders are in the 2000 lb lift range. The Deer is a 65, and the MF is a little older. Both great machines, but I wouldn't really be looking at quite that size if I was on an acre or five... On the other hand I have a couple Case 646's, one from '75, and the other a later 80's. 16hp, and the size of a heavy garden tractor. Also industrials, with no-nonsense 700# lift capacity. They have been fabulous in my little suburban properties, but they're kinda lost out in the 54 acres in PA.

You're going to have lots of folks tell you that you must have 4wd... Well, that's far less common in older machines than the new toys. It also really isn't as critical as people have come to believe. An awful lot of work has been done, for an awful long time with 2wd machines, so don't get too hung up on that, as it will really limit the machines you can pick from.

You're also going to find more gear transmissions in the older machines than hydro. Also not a deal killer, but that's more of a concern... If just gear, it will suck for significant loader work, but if it has either a mechanical, or hydraulic shuttle, then they're just fine. Again, you need to figure out your realistic use... When we were doing big projects like the long driveway, or one of the building pads, then the shuttle on the Deere was invaluable. For other projects, like cutting firewood, or when we were just grabbing a bucket of sand to stage by the mixer, then the MF with straight gears works just fine. Obviously better to have it, and not need it, but also if you really don't need it, then it makes your selection much smaller.

As with everything, older equipment means it will need maintenance. My Deere dealer has forgotten that they sold the JD300 new in 65... They only sell little tractors, and gators now, so they're no help for service... The MF place is fine, and the old Ford/NH place will work on other brands as well, so it isn't too bad... Case doesn't want to know anything about my 646's. In general, we have to do our own work. The old equipment is less complex to work on, but you might find parts support, if you need something odd, a bit more challenging.

Looking at the industrial side of the family tree will give you machines tweaked for loader use, rather than a loader frame just grafted on to an ag tractor. The JD300 is really a Deere 1020, with a heavier front axle, and beefier hydraulic pump, plus some other tweaks. Same for the 202. That's really a TO-35 (I believe) with tweaks to handle industrial use. Nothing wrong with the ag equivalents, and I'd actually like to find a 1020 to add to the fleet, but if you're focused on a loader, then looking at the yellow machines will usually get you the feature set you want for loader work.

/ How old a tractor would you go if you require a front end loader? #14  
MF203 industrial has served me well for 30 years. Has a strong loader and power steering and diesel engine. Today it is set up with a post hole auger and is semi retired

/ How old a tractor would you go if you require a front end loader? #15  
Get one with no down pressure on the loader, 2WD, and manual no-power steering. Enjoy all the money you save and all the extra tractor time it will take you now for doing the job!

/ How old a tractor would you go if you require a front end loader? #16  
What do you mean?
Older tractors can have a narrow front axle with the tire spacing very close together or a wide front axle. The narrow front imparts instability when a front end loader is attached. Some older tractors even have a single front wheel and not a pair. See post number 7 top understand what a narrow front is...

/ How old a tractor would you go if you require a front end loader? #18  
Back in the early 60's we had very few wide front tractors in our area, small fields, stone walls.
The narrow fronts did better in field work with lots of turning and didn't run over as much crops or windrows in hay.
The only wide fronts that could come close to the maneuverability of the narrow fronts were the few setback ones,
and those had significantly less traction when working with pull type implements.
Therefore when we started seeing loaders on farm tractors most were on narrow front end tractors.
The first front end loader we had on the farm was an old JD mounted on a Farmall 400 a couple of neighbors had Farmall H's or M's with loaders these were all narrow front tractors with the straight tube loader frames and trip buckets. We were certainly glad to have these available, they were so much better then the alternatives. Loading manure spreaders with a 5 tine fork was a miserable job.

As far as them being wonky or unsafe, I don't believe so and I'm not going to get involved with any discussion of the tipping points and diagrams and arrows, it has been discussed in other posts by many people. And I suspect that most of them have never used or worked with a narrow front tractor and loader.

/ How old a tractor would you go if you require a front end loader? #19  
If the OP is looking for a compact tractor in the 40hp range with a loader then yes 4 wheel drive is very important for getting things done hassle free , I have had both 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive loader tractors for a long time and the two wheel drives are fine for some things but stink at others, Get the right tractor the first time and you wont be dissapointed.

/ How old a tractor would you go if you require a front end loader? #20  
I

Honestly I don't know what that means, but it was a starting point because I was looking at 40hp or less. I don't think I need or could afford more. Over 1k is better. I was trying to be barebones.
Research CUT (Compact Utility Tractors) and SCUT (Sub Compact Utility Tractors). Will be helpful knowledge in your search.