How steep is too steep (and how do I know)?

/ How steep is too steep (and how do I know)? #1  

Elkins45

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
The whole tractor thing is new to me, but I bought a compact tractor to bush hog my relatively hilly homestead. The trouble is that now I'm about too scared to mow half of it! Some of it didn't look too bad when I walked across it, but when mowing it I was deathly afraid the tractor was going to flip over at any moment. I have no frame of reference to judge whether it was really on the edge or if I'm just a big chicken.

The manual is worthless, except for the advice to back up steep slopes so you don't tumble backwards. Is there a good website or some rule of thumb that everybody except me knows to determine what's safe?

/ How steep is too steep (and how do I know)? #2  
The whole tractor thing is new to me, but I bought a compact tractor to bush hog my relatively hilly homestead. The trouble is that now I'm about too scared to mow half of it! Some of it didn't look too bad when I walked across it, but when mowing it I was deathly afraid the tractor was going to flip over at any moment. I have no frame of reference to judge whether it was really on the edge or if I'm just a big chicken.

The manual is worthless, except for the advice to back up steep slopes so you don't tumble backwards. Is there a good website or some rule of thumb that everybody except me knows to determine what's safe?

Welcome to TBN. I mow hills all the time. There is no good way to advise you without knowing the conditions and how steep the slopes are and even then there are many variables. That said a good first step is to get a tilt meter and here is a link to the ones sold by a TBN site supporter.
TILT METER
This would give you a reference to know when it is not safe a # you will here quoted is 15degrees going across a slope gets scary on most tractors and going up and /or down 30 degrees will seem the limit every tractor is different and it depends on the weight , how wide it is and how you have it set up. Take some pics and tell what kind of tractor you have and the wheel width and such.

/ How steep is too steep (and how do I know)? #3  
PUCKER Factor: If you are travelling sideway on an incline and you feel you are slipping out of the seat, it may be time to go up and down the hill rather than side incline. Most of the time you will feel unsafe way before you reach a turnover point. Main thing when mowing steep hills is to go slow. Even on a 15 degree slope, hitting a hole or bump may be enough to toss you over if you are going fast. IF you have doubts, mow up and down the hill. If you can climb it in 2 WD on a grassy surface, you arent going to tip as long as you travel straight up and down. If you have to put your tractor in 4 WD to climb the hill, that should be your first warning sign. That doesnt mean that you cant safely mow it in 4 WD if you take the proper steps. Never attempt to turn on a slope unless it is a very small angle of slope, this could be your undoing if you do. I sometimes mow up and down fairly steep hills, but feel lots more comfortable going down the hill. Another goody, if you lock your brakes and your tractor is still sliding downhill, you are probably on too much slope. Break out the weedeater.
There are lots of discussions here on how to negotiate a hill safely. Lots of experience available if you search the links here.

/ How steep is too steep (and how do I know)? #4  
When you are on a hill if you are in 2WD you will have no braking on the front wheels. If you are in 4WD the front wheels will have mechanical breaking and be much safer.

/ How steep is too steep (and how do I know)? #5  

When first using a tractor, with it's seat considerably higher then that riding mower you're used to, slopes are intimidating...even 5-10 degrees makes you feel like you're going to roll. Been there, as have many other TBNers.
Since it wasn't bad when you walked it, it's probably not too bad (well under 15 degrees I'm guessing).
I suggest three things...
1) If your rear tires aren't filled, get them filled. Filled tires provide a lot of stability.
2) If the rear wheel track is adjustable, widen it as much as possible. If they are not adjustable, determine if there is any widening by swapping your rear tires (measure the wheel flange to hub on the inside and outside of the wheel....if greater on the inside, swapping the wheels (by reversing or swapping side to side) will widen the track).
3) Get a tilt-meter. Using one of these when first learning the tractor on your property will help you determine the dangerous areas and those areas that feel bad, but actually aren't so bad. I had a tilt-meter on my first tractor and it really helped!

Of course, use your seatbelt at all times and go slow!

/ How steep is too steep (and how do I know)? #6  
Adding to what Roy said, if you are not familiar with the term "filled tires" it refers to adding liquid as a ballast in the rear tires. Depending on the size of the tires it adds hundreds of pounds below the center of gravity on the tractor and greatly increases stability as well as traction. Do a search on the forum and you will see it is an easy do it yourself project.

MarkV

/ How steep is too steep (and how do I know)?
Thanks for all the advice. The problem with getting a tilt meter is that the numbers won't mean anything to me. What's the number where I should stop and back up the hill?

I have one of those little angle finder gizmos for carpentry. I held it at arms length and lined it up with the slope on the steepest part and it said 30 degrees. I took a picture of the steepest parts and drew in the horizontal and the slope as best I could. Would you mow this sideways?

DSC_0246.jpg

DSC_0245.jpg

Last edited:
   / How steep is too steep (and how do I know)? #8  
Thanks for all the advice. The problem with getting a tilt meter is that the numbers won't mean anything to me. What's the number where I should stop and back up the hill?

I have one of those little angle finder gizmos for carpentry. I held it at arms length and lined it up with the slope on the steepest part and it said 30 degrees. I took a picture of the steepest part, but the photo somehow makes it look less steep. Would you mow this sideways?

The pics(pics are deceiving without a good reference) do not tell the whole story but the angle finder does. If the slope is truly 30 degrees I would not try to cut across the slope(sideways). I would for the first cutting back up the hill or walk it and look for drop off and holes that could cause issues. I would make sure the tractor is in 4wd and go to work. Here is a couple of pic of a trail that is +-30 degrees. The first is a side shot for reference and the second is looking forward up the same trail.

Attachments

• HPIM2523a.jpg
    HPIM2523a.jpg
    434.3 KB · Views: 2,652
  • HPIM2524a.jpg
    HPIM2524a.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 2,351
   / How steep is too steep (and how do I know)? #9  
My first impression is those angles are definatly up and down mowing only. I have seen the state highway mower guys mow those kind of slopes sideways, but not me. Also their tractors are really wide, and low. Get those rear tires filled with WW fluid or RV antifreeze or RimGuard if you can find it as soon as possible. you will feel much better, and will not have to go in so often to change underwear:D As far as the chicken thing, you will have to decide if you are just a "chicken" or not, its your life and limb, better to err on the side of caution than have us read about you after your death or maiming. After traversing it several times you might feel better about doing it, that is ok, but you still need to be careful, as pointed out, you could drop a tire in a little hole or depression and the trouble can begin. Go slow and stay frosty and alert. Good luck.
James K0UA

/ How steep is too steep (and how do I know)? #10  

I have one of those little angle finder gizmos for carpentry. I held it at arms length and lined it up with the slope on the steepest part and it said 30 degrees. I took a picture of the steepest parts and drew in the horizontal and the slope as best I could. Would you mow this sideways?

DSC_0246.jpg

DSC_0245.jpg

About 15 degrees side angle is a rule of thumb (where exactly that came from...I've no idea). Tractor manufacturers test their machines on tilt tables to 20 degrees (IIRC) per an ASTM standard. That's a static test so it's not really too applicable in the real world.
Nice thing about a tilt-meter is it can warn you of a gradually increasing slope. No good for a sudden transition though (such as a downslope hole or an upslope rock).
Actually, in my case, the tilt-meter helped me to determine which slopes were relatively safe (but that doesn't mean being complacent!!).

As far as those slopes in your pictures, the second picture is definitely an up/down slope operation. First picture is harder to judge, but 30 degrees is more then I'd mow across with a standard CUT. If I had to mow across, I'd want to install dual wheels on the rear.