How to rebuild a Bush Hog Rotary Cutter gearbox.

/ How to rebuild a Bush Hog Rotary Cutter gearbox.
That is pitiful,, He'd be getting an ear full on that shaft..

The part was not boxed, so Messicks should have seen the damage and not shipped the part in that condition, but having made the error, they are responding very well. Bush Hog should package the parts properly.

/ How to rebuild a Bush Hog Rotary Cutter gearbox. #32  
The Messicks rep said they had problems with some Bush Hog parts because they don't put any kind of rust preventative on them. I am used to precision parts being wrapped in VCI paper. Not so these clowns.

Those parts are pitiful.

/ How to rebuild a Bush Hog Rotary Cutter gearbox. #34  
How could you send that out?

/ How to rebuild a Bush Hog Rotary Cutter gearbox. #35  
That’s just wrong. Parts like that should be covered in cosmoline and wrapped in barrier paper at a minimum.

/ How to rebuild a Bush Hog Rotary Cutter gearbox. #36  
Find it very hard to accept COMER sent it out of manufacturing so it would arrive at Messick's in this terrible condition.

Please show us how the next one is protected.
The rusty shaft may have an interesting history like surviving Katrina :)

Dave M7040

Find it very hard to accept COMER sent it out of manufacturing so it would arrive at Messick's in this terrible condition.

Messicks told me they come unprotected from Bush Hog in Alabama. I don't know if Bush Hog sources them from Comer or if they get someone stateside to make them. They had two shafts left at Messicks and the rep I talked with said that both were rust free but neither was packaged. I got my input shaft bearings and seals, along with a 55mm socket to continue the disassembly. All I lack is an undamaged output shaft.

/ How to rebuild a Bush Hog Rotary Cutter gearbox. #38  
Sometimes one can find a very used unit with working parts cheap. I did this for our Offset 84" Twin Spindle Bush Hog brand cutter. (Basically two small bush hogs mounted side by side.) I found one that had been resealed and that worked good but the 3PH was somewhat twisted but worked at the time. I think I gave like $1200 for it (New they are $4K) and when the 3PH broke a new one was going to be close to $400. I found the same cutter that had been abused but everything rotated OK and some one had started rebuilding it and had put a new BH brand 3PH on it already and I bought it for $400 and put the 3PH on the first one. I have all the other spare parts.

Bush Hog, Rhino, etc new replacement parts are over the top price wise often.

The replacement shaft arrived sans rust this time. The nut would not thread on though because of thread damage. If will be easy enough to dress up with a thread file. Whaddaya 'spect for $160, expensive plastic thread protectors, and, uh, a cardboard box?

IMG_1077.JPG

/ How to rebuild a Bush Hog Rotary Cutter gearbox. #40  
That’s really pitiful. If you had not been waiting so long, I believe I would send that back as well. Messick’s should be embarrassed. You shouldn’t have to file a part this expensive. Where is their quality control?