hp needed

/ hp needed #1  

tobyhd1

I currently run a Kubota M6800 to use a 7' land pride brush cutter and 7' snowblower. 68 hp. Even with sharp blades, some real thick grasses makes tractor work harder than i'd like. I usually mow in first to get it all. Would 90hp give me the umph I'm looking for and perhaps give me enough to maybe go to a single batwing 10 footer. Some mowing is also red brush and tag alders. If I can drive over it it gets cut. Would not use the 10' for heavy brush. Thoughts?

• Good Post
Reactions: mo1
   / hp needed
The tractor has only 1600 hours on it so don't believe its a tractor issue.

/ hp needed #4  
your M series utility tractor should do just fine. btw, think 68hp is the rated engine hp, the pto hp is prob around 62-3 hp. that should be fine to run what you describe. patience is a virtue cutting rampant growth. just look at the pto hp rating for each implement you're considering regards
btw i'd steer clear of finish mowers that aren't designed for heavy growth

Last edited:
   / hp needed #5  
Is it mechanically injected or common rail injection? A good Kubota tech with the knowledge can turn up a mechanically injected engine quite easily (if they know what they are doing) that is. Had both my M9's turned up about 10% this summer with no adverse impacts at all, but like I said, the tech has to know what they are doing and it has to be mechanically injected. Both mine are now making a bit over 90 PTO on the dyno. Didn't adversely impact fuel usage at all either and they don't 'seem' to be running any hotter though I don't have an exhaust gas pyrometer on either one.

I do notice a 'seat of the pants' torque rise when running them and utilizing maximum power, something I do quite often. Both mine will pull my bat wing shredder and my big flat back Land Pride shredder no issue and just about anything short of saplings.

Tractors are all meant to be worked and worked hard and I don't 'spare the rod' with either of them.

/ hp needed #6  
I run a 7' rough cut with my 45 hp Kioti. Can cut pretty thick grass - 4' tall without much problem. The hydrostat is nice as I can adjust the speed on the fly. 90hp should easily run a 10'.

/ hp needed #7  
What do you consider working it to hard? Example: Pulling the engine RPM down from full throttle of 2500, to 2400, 2200, 2000, etc.

I figure in that example 2200 and above is working conditions. 2000 for a short time grunting, dropping below 2000 for extended periods slow down.

We had 8 ft snow blower on 85 HP and you could kill the engine if you tried but a little common sense and worked fine. Didn’t have a brush hog since we cut everything for cattle feed.

I pull 5 ft brush hog with 20 PTO HP today and have mowed road ditch where grass and weeds was over the hood. Just went slow and let the mower do its thing.

/ hp needed #8  
Honestly I don't see what the problem is. I'm mowing with 5.6 hp/foot (28 pto hp/5 = 5.6, 35 engine/5 = 7) and it's very adequate for what I'm doing.
You are mowing with 9.7 hp/foot (68/7 = 9.7).
And yes the first time I go through stuff it's slow going but as you keep up with the mowing you can move right along.
And now your talking about a bigger tractor and a wider mower and going down to 9 hp/foot. (90/10 = 9) I'm wondering if your not just looking to buy bigger equipment. If you want bigger stuff just go buy it but your going to need to come up with some more logical justifications.... if you need them.

/ hp needed #9  
You're at 62 pto hp on a 7' cutter.

That should be more than enough. What's your version of "working too hard"?

Is it overheating? Could just be chaff in the radiator, which is the bane of all mowers really.

/ hp needed
Is it mechanically injected or common rail injection? A good Kubota tech with the knowledge can turn up a mechanically injected engine quite easily (if they know what they are doing) that is. Had both my M9's turned up about 10% this summer with no adverse impacts at all, but like I said, the tech has to know what they are doing and it has to be mechanically injected. Both mine are now making a bit over 90 PTO on the dyno. Didn't adversely impact fuel usage at all either and they don't 'seem' to be running any hotter though I don't have an exhaust gas pyrometer on either one.

I do notice a 'seat of the pants' torque rise when running them and utilizing maximum power, something I do quite often. Both mine will pull my bat wing shredder and my big flat back Land Pride shredder no issue and just about anything short of saplings.

Tractors are all meant to be worked and worked hard and I don't 'spare the rod' with either of them.
Don't know about the injection. It's an '03.