HST vs Power Reverser

/ HST vs Power Reverser #1  

Greyfields

Silver Member
I currently own a 4120 HST transmission CUT. I got the chance to drive a 5325 with 12/12 PR. I loved the stability, horsepower and hydraulics of the larger machine.

But... but driving it drove me crazy. I really enjoy HST. "Enjoy" in the sense that it's easy to drive, easy to maneuver and I hardly notice that it's there. But, with the 12/12 PR I was constantly at the throttle and gear range trying to get it right. I was distracted and hated it.

So, questions:

1) Do you think over the course of time, manufactuer's will starter offering HST transmissions in larger and larger tractors?

2) If someday I upgrade to a 5x25, how many hours, days or years will it take for me to get used to it?

/ HST vs Power Reverser #2  
We have HST on our smaller lawn & garden tractor and the 12F/12R on our 5425. I really don't have any trouble going between the two. On the 5425, I set the throttle to the engine rpm I need and change gears to get the speed. I haven't found a need for the 24F/24R, but the option is out there for those that might want it.

The 5425 is used for arena grooming, mowing, road maintenance, and FEL work (round bales, dirt moving, brush piles, etc). The lawn & garden for the manure spreader, mowing, and towing a small wagon for hay, etc. I prefer the gears on the larger tractor. It allows me to get more hp to the ground.

I think after a day or so of use, you would get used to the PowerRvser.

/ HST vs Power Reverser #3  
Greyfields said:
I currently own a 4120 HST transmission CUT. I got the chance to drive a 5325 with 12/12 PR. I loved the stability, horsepower and hydraulics of the larger machine.

1) Do you think over the course of time, manufactuer's will starter offering HST transmissions in larger and larger tractors?

2) If someday I upgrade to a 5x25, how many hours, days or years will it take for me to get used to it?

I'll defer on question 1 to others more in the know (although if you do a search this topic has been debated )

On #2 - geez, I'd say that 5-10 minutes of work and you will be happy. If the 5x25 has a similar system as the 4x20's do then it's clutchless F/R shifting -real nice. You just end up using the foot throttle a lot unless you are doing constant speed work. In fact I even like the electro hydraulic shuttle shift machines for loader work because your right foot is free to goose the throttle when you need some juice for lifting. Of course you have to remember to clutch or shift in to neutral if you want to stop :)

paul

/ HST vs Power Reverser #4  
i bought the hst but they had the massy shuttle in the same hp tried them both i liked the shuttle, mf has f/r and neutral without the clutch. only got the hst cause the wife liked it better... happy wife is a happy life.... and i got a tractor...

/ HST vs Power Reverser #5  
See, I'm the other way around, I've always liked shuttle shift over HST, however HST is okay too.

/ HST vs Power Reverser #6  
I think the shuttle shift is the best of both HST and Gears. It is nice to run the tractor at a lower rpm, goosing the foot throttle when needed, all the while shifting forward and reverse with no clutch. Makes for a much more enjoyable work time for me, compared to the high rev'd and whining hst. To me the shuttle shift is closer to driving a car or truck. And you can get used to all of them and can jump from one style to the other without much thought. Most people have a strong opinion on which they like best for their particular needs, but I think they all have a place.

/ HST vs Power Reverser
Ok, here I was thinking that a sync-shuttle was the same as the PR, but with fewer gears. Where is the FAQ sticky explaining the two?

/ HST vs Power Reverser #8  
By way of example:

Deere - PowrReverser
Massey- Power Shuttle
New Holland - EHSS

They all feature clutchless forward/reverse shifting. Whereas basic shuttle shifters allow for F/R shifting with a clutch prior to coming to a complete stop.

/ HST vs Power Reverser #9  
By way of example:

Deere - PowrReverser
Massey- Power Shuttle
New Holland - EHSS

They all feature clutchless forward/reverse shifting. Whereas basic shuttle shifters allow for F/R shifting with a clutch prior to coming to a complete stop. With the fancy electro-hydraulic ones listed above you just let off the throttle and shift. They all seem to give a nice smooth take off.

Woops - just realized why sometimes you see two duplicate posts... hit some darn key.... this one edited to be more complete.

~paul

PS - there may be other such examples - these are the only ones that I have personally tried out. I love my EHSS.