I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #171  
Have you ever looked into OX Lockers? Aren't they electric?
Ox Lockers are mechanical, cable operated.

Eaton makes an electric locker. Have one in my Jeep YJ.

I believe Auborn makes an electric as well?

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #172  
How does everyone get to drive only "flat" terrain?

I've used the locker on my F150 numerous times - but it has always been in situation like crossing deep ditches at an angle where one front tire and the opposite side rear tire is pretty much hanging in the air. Without a locker I wouldn't move.
They don't live in Northern Nevada or Northern Missouri!!!! (y)

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #173  
I believe that the reason pickups don't have AWD is because the poor weight distribution would make handling worse than tricky... much the same as why they recommend studded tires on all wheels if you have a front wheel drive vehicle.

AWD works ok with forward weight distribution.

I had an AWD truck: a 1999 GMC C3, the forerunner to the Denali truck but without the rear wheel steering. GM used a viscous coupling as the center diff. It handled really well for a truck- far better than my 2016 Tundra 2wd. I don't know how well it did on snow or off road as I never took it on anything challenging. It was designed as a street truck and did that well.

We have a couple AWD VWs, both of which are basically front wheel drive cars with added drive to the rear. They handle well too, if you drive them like front wheel drive cars. But even with the 300hp one there is no torque steer or breaking the fronts loose like there would be with a fwd car with that much power.

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #174  
Has anyone driven the 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz? It is a small AWD pickup with 3500 lb. towing, which is all I need. I have a 4wd Tacoma TRD Off-Road right now that is very good, but I think I have filled the bed full maybe two or three times and have never come close to the max. towing weight. I pull a single axle trailer for bigger stuff. I think that Santa Cruz will be my next pickup or one like it if it gets good reviews.

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #175  
I found this video of a New Process 246 transfer case that is the same as what's in my 2003 Suburban with Auto4WD, 2H, 4H, and 4L.

Shows how in Auto4WD the electronic sensors detect different shaft speeds for the front and rear and then engages the fork to apply pressure to the clutch pack to allow slip between front and rear as needed based on shaft speed, VS how in 4WD, the fork just pushes the clutch pack fully and locks it in place, allowing no slip in the transfer case between front and rear.

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #176  
not sure what you mean by "installing a locker" ? I'd like to look into that. Thanks for any other details that you may have.
Lots of aftermarket lockers available out there - but it all depends on which rear axle you have as to which one you can have installed. Some are air-operated (require a small compressor), some are electric, and some manual. You'll have to do your research - and even if you do your own installation, they ain't cheap.

I had ARB brand air lockers installed front and rear in my van - made it a whole bunch better vehicle out in the rough stuff.

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #177  
Lots of aftermarket lockers available out there - but it all depends on which rear axle you have as to which one you can have installed. Some are air-operated (require a small compressor), some are electric, and some manual. You'll have to do your research - and even if you do your own installation, they ain't cheap.

I had ARB brand air lockers installed front and rear in my van - made it a whole bunch better vehicle out in the rough stuff.
I run a Detroit locker in the front of my buggy. On throttle it locks up. Off throttle it unlocks. Works very, very well and I never hear it engage/disengage.

There are a LOT of varieties. And a locker is way more productive than a limit slip. Both have their place.

As you said, they ain't cheap. I paid $750 for the electric locker in my Jeep TJ Dana 44 rear axle. They are twice that much for a ton axle such as a Dana 60 or GM 14 bolt.

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #178  
When I was a kid, only 1 person in the neighborhood owned a pickup truck. Pretty much every dad on the block would borrow it from the neighbor at least once a year, to haul stuff too big for the station wagons. As I recall, it was either Chevy or GM, 4x4, with a 3 on the tree manual transmission. That's the first time I recall seeing a 3 on the tree. Then in 1970, my dad bought a Nova with 3 on the tree.

Anyhow, the point I was trying to make is that back in the 60's-80's it was rare to see a 4x4 pickup in town.

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #179  
When I was a kid, only 1 person in the neighborhood owned a pickup truck. Pretty much every dad on the block would borrow it from the neighbor at least once a year, to haul stuff too big for the station wagons. As I recall, it was either Chevy or GM, 4x4, with a 3 on the tree manual transmission. That's the first time I recall seeing a 3 on the tree. Then in 1970, my dad bought a Nova with 3 on the tree.

Anyhow, the point I was trying to make is that back in the 60's-80's it was rare to see a 4x4 pickup in town.
The first winter I had my new 1983 Ranger some friends wanted me to go cross country skiing with them. I bought a pair of skiis, and let them navigate as we went to the ski area. I knew that we were in the wrong place as soon as we pulled into the parking lot... I was driving the only pickup in the lot. We were at the downhill slopes, and needed to be on the x-country trails a few miles away.

. Drivers assist "stuff" stability control, traction control, anti lock breaks are probably a strong positive with a few exceptions, ya ought to be able to turn the darn stuff off
I hate all of the above, especially ABS. If one side of the vehicle is on snow and the other is on pavement you may as well not have brakes. After doing about $350 worth of front end damage -at 2002 prices- because my '98 GMC wouldn't stop, I disabled it. It's amazing how much better it stopped in snow; rather than rolling along the top like a kid's sled, pumping the brakes would allow the tires to cut through the snow to the pavement and stop.
One day I was driving through town and a motorist was waiting to pull out of a parking lot. He made eye contact, and pulled right out in front of me. I was into the brakes and stopped in less distance than the tables we learned in driver's ed. With ABS I'd have had hit him for sure. Because it wasn't working I avoided the accident but if I had hit him, I would have been considered at fault.

I couldn't begin to guess how many times I've been negotiating deep snow and had the TC kick in while trying to negotiate a hill.
When that happens you may as well get out the snow shovel.

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #180  
I'll take electronic stability control all day long. I'm convinced it saved my kid's life.