I Still Hate My Tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / I Still Hate My Tractor
Tore things apart this morning at 5AM. Pulled the fuel tank and A/C bracket, valve cover. Glow plugs ohm fine (0.6 each) and I will do a baseline compression check and timing, valve adj. check before I put it back together. Gonna be a challenge to fit this all and make it look nice and still be able to remove it without remorse if it doesn't work. I see the 5740 has an external EGR to keep NOX down. I think the turbo makes combustion hotter formulating much more NOX. Thanks for the photo, much help.

This Kubota engine is very basic and timeless unlike this new stuff coming down the line.

IMG_0033.jpg

Fred

/ I Still Hate My Tractor #62  
This has been discussed in another thread but the poor starting is a result of a timing issue. Kubota retards the timing for emissions. You might want to check that out.

/ I Still Hate My Tractor #63  
I am not mechanical at all, so I don't know if you are a genius or wasting time. But either way, this is the most interesting thread I've followed in a while!

/ I Still Hate My Tractor
I have been in the auto business over 40 years and don't mind tearing anything apart; it's putting it back together that complicates things :)

This tractor is the right "size" for me. It fits perfectly in the shop, garage, tractor shed, on my lifts. It just needs a boost for certain things. I used the 3PH snowblower for the first time last week. I had to run the throttle wide open to get the snow to go more than 10 feet. The blower doesn't take much power to run but seems to need lots of RPM to make anything shoot far enough to call it a snowblower. That might be a thread all itself after this one. Stay tuned I think this weekend is gonna be a marathon hair dryer install on Miss Piggy.

miss piggy.jpg

Fred

/ I Still Hate My Tractor #65  
I'm not experienced enough to know whether this is crazy or genius, but I do admire your tenacity, Fred. And the simple fact that you have the skills to consider the install.

/ I Still Hate My Tractor #66  
Fred

Don't listen to the no-sayers
You worked hard for your money and you can spend it on whatever you want, anyway you want
when they pony up and pay for your projects then they can have more say in the situation

just when you do all this make sure the timing is correct as an injector pump being off just slightly will cause drastic power and performance losses

The best of luck with your project and please keep the ones that want to learn and enjoy other peoples projects updated

/ I Still Hate My Tractor #67  
This has been discussed in another thread but the poor starting is a result of a timing issue. Kubota retards the timing for emissions. You might want to check that out.

kuboman - do you know if Kubota put in a cold start timing advance circuit? if so, then this circuit is suspect in Fred's machine.

/ I Still Hate My Tractor #68  
I had to run the throttle wide open to get the snow to go more than 10 feet. The blower doesn't take much power to run but seems to need lots of RPM to make anything shoot far enough to call it a snowblower. That might be a thread all itself after this one. Stay tuned I think this weekend is gonna be a marathon hair dryer install on Miss Piggy.
That's how snow blowers generally work (from a walkbehind up to a 500HP dedicated train snowblower). They need a full 540 PTO RPM to work well otherwise the fan doesn't spin fast enough and you get clogs in the chute with wet snow.

Aaron Z

/ I Still Hate My Tractor #69  
That's how snow blowers generally work (from a walkbehind up to a 500HP dedicated train snowblower). They need a full 540 PTO RPM to work well otherwise the fan doesn't spin fast enough and you get clogs in the chute with wet snow.

Aaron Z

I don't think he has any understanding about how tractors work.

/ I Still Hate My Tractor #70  
Status
Not open for further replies.