Infested with UTVs?

/ Infested with UTVs? #61  
I am wondering about your foot out during cornering ? is this common practice ? thought that was only a ice/dirt technique and on asphalt you had to keep in on the peg ?

That bike has a slipper clutch in it that allows the rear wheel to slide/spin until engine rpm and gearing catches up to actual road speed. What had just happened right before that photo was taken was that as I braked heavily into the corner, I banged the gears from 4th to 2nd gear while still going to fast for 2nd gear. The rear wheel, already light from the weight shifting to the front caused by my smooth, but heavy application of the front brake had caused the rear wheel to step out sideways.

Meanwhile, the front wheel was also sliding sorta-sideways as well (supermotos are fun to ride like dirt bikes on pavement). Anyway, since everything was goofy on purpose heading toward the corner apex, my foot was out there to add a little stability.

Nowadays, since everybody is practicing on supermotos, even top-tier road racers are sticking out their foot from time to time while braking into tighter corners.

Here is a video short of racing in the rain showing an example of exactly what I was doing in that corner with my supermoto.

/ Infested with UTVs? #62  
That bike has a slipper clutch in it that allows the rear wheel to slide/spin until engine rpm and gearing catches up to actual road speed. What had just happened right before that photo was taken was that as I braked heavily into the corner, I banged the gears from 4th to 2nd gear while still going to fast for 2nd gear. The rear wheel, already light from the weight shifting to the front caused by my smooth, but heavy application of the front brake had caused the rear wheel to step out sideways.

Meanwhile, the front wheel was also sliding sorta-sideways as well (supermotos are fun to ride like dirt bikes on pavement). Anyway, since everything was goofy on purpose heading toward the corner apex, my foot was out there to add a little stability.

Nowadays, since everybody is practicing on supermotos, even top-tier road racers are sticking out their foot from time to time while braking into tighter corners.

Here is a video short of racing in the rain showing an example of exactly what I was doing in that corner with my supermoto.

makes sense now ... yes that's right they do it while breaking I forgot about that ... thanks... yes supermoto are sick I always wanted to try it ... when I took my motorcycle course it was a adjustment to keep my foot on the peg while turning, dirt bike muscle memory... the instructor kept telling me to keep it on the peg :rolleyes:...

/ Infested with UTVs? #63  
makes sense now ... yes that's right they do it while breaking I forgot about that ... thanks... yes supermoto are sick I always wanted to try it ... when I took my motorcycle course it was a adjustment to keep my foot on the peg while turning, dirt bike muscle memory... the instructor kept telling me to keep it on the peg :rolleyes:...

The technique is called "backing it in," and while fun, backing it in may or may not be the fastest way to bend a bike around a corner. It depends on the track, the conditions on the track, and if you're trying to pass or get around lapped traffic. That first video I posted, linked to a pretty good video on the actual theory and practice of trail braking and the rapid, but smooth transition from maximum throttle, to maximum braking that can lead to backing it into corners.

Rally drivers do the same thing on four wheels, only with a slight, sharp twitch into the direction of the corner to set the chassis to slide while under braking or throttle to which they then "catch" the slide by counter-steering the vehicle through the corner. It is a hoot to do with UTVs so long as you know nothing is coming around the corner if you cannot see through the corner.

Anyway, here is that theory and practice video that I thought was pretty good.

Last edited:
   / Infested with UTVs? #64  
We are lucky, were we operate our 6x6, motorized vehicles are banded. :p

What does this even mean? Banded?

I think the fact that many new UTV are to big to be allowed on official ATV trails pushes them to ride other places.

In Minnesota utv’s can ride on the official trails and on the shoulder of a two lane road but not a highway.

I am not a motorcycle owner or rider. Two years ago bought my wife a VW dune buggy street legal and titled and tags. It had straight pipes which I did not like at all. It sits low like a sports car and a very good friend said do not remove the pipes (i did have some baffling installed that reduced it by say 40%). He said when you are driving something hard for people to see, be sure they can hear you. That is why most motorcycle riders run pipes. Makes sense to me, been more tolerant of the cycle dudes since then. But still don't like the noise. Oh, the VW dune buggy with straight pipes was as loud or louder than any Harley I have ever heard. BTW, it is for sale.
How does a car in front of a loud bike hear loud pipes off the pipes come out the back of the cycle?

If loud pipes save lives why do people get hit by trains? I can hear a train horn.

/ Infested with UTVs? #65  
In Minnesota utv’s can ride on the official trails and on the shoulder of a two lane road but not a highway.

Riding on the shoulder, at least around here in the desert, causes more trouble than just riding the pavement. Reason? Huge clouds of dust kicked up by riding the shoulder, causing zero visibility on the highway and dusting out everyone along the road. This is one of the reasons cited for Nevada finally allowing UTVs to drive paved state roads.

/ Infested with UTVs? #66  
Riding on the shoulder, at least around here in the desert, causes more trouble than just riding the pavement. Reason? Huge clouds of dust kicked up by riding the shoulder, causing zero visibility on the highway and dusting out everyone along the road. This is one of the reasons cited for Nevada finally allowing UTVs to drive paved state roads.
you save some rubber tho ... but it make sense to avoid the issue you are pointing

/ Infested with UTVs? #68  
I can't remember the last time I saw a Harley with stock exhaust. Most around here have no mufflers, just straight pipes. And what's with blipping the throttle when sitting at a stop sign/light?
What does this even mean? Banded?

How does a car in front of a loud bike hear loud pipes off the pipes come out the back of the cycle?

If loud pipes save lives why do people get hit by trains? I can hear a train horn.
It's a excuse to be an A-hole, with no basis in fact.

/ Infested with UTVs? #70  
Years ago I had to slow down to allow the car in front of me to turn. A kid pulled up beside me on a Honda CB 350 with his GF on back. He had no mufflers, just a straight chrome pipe on each header. As I went up through the gears on my Ranger he matched my speed, revving the engine as he and his GF sat there laughing at me. I just drove...
The road curved ahead so he twisted the throttle... and realized that he wasn't as smart as he thought he was. We had both sped up enough so that little bike couldn't pull away from me the way that he planned. Watching that smug look on his face turn to concern was priceless. Had they just passed me they would have been fine... instead they wanted to play games.