Is A Stump Bucket Grapple A Capable Brush Handler?

/ Is A Stump Bucket Grapple A Capable Brush Handler? #21  
Not an issue here as all I use it for is to keep the limbs from coming out of the bucket. To that end, works like a charm. Myself, I have no use for a stump bucket at all. One of my hunt buddies has a Vermeer stump grinder so I call him and the stumps vanish.

/ Is A Stump Bucket Grapple A Capable Brush Handler? #22  
Thanks much for your reply - Xfaxman. A person could get into some really major projects with something like that severe duty unit.

/ Is A Stump Bucket Grapple A Capable Brush Handler? #23  
I find a frostbite style grapple (FrostBite Grapples - Grapple, Log Grapple) very effective, which is probably pretty close to a stump bucket with a grapple.

It weighs less that a root grapple, and is significantly cheaper. I think it is far superior for moving logs and large rocks. However, it is not as effective at raking up limbs and branches. I find it does fine by just quickly throwing everything into a brush pile and kind of trying to align any limbs, and then picking everything up.

/ Is A Stump Bucket Grapple A Capable Brush Handler?
I find a frostbite style grapple (FrostBite Grapples - Grapple, Log Grapple) very effective, which is probably pretty close to a stump bucket with a grapple.

It weighs less that a root grapple, and is significantly cheaper. I think it is far superior for moving logs and large rocks. However, it is not as effective at raking up limbs and branches. I find it does fine by just quickly throwing everything into a brush pile and kind of trying to align any limbs, and then picking everything up.

This is the kind of information I was hoping to get. Someone using a narrower type of grapple and giving input on if they have difficulty moving brush. Thank you.

/ Is A Stump Bucket Grapple A Capable Brush Handler? #25  
Tractors (like everything else) seem to break up into time and money. You will never hate that you bought a grapple, but you also aren't going to dig out notable stumps with one. Owning both is 2X the cost. Using multiple implements on the front means you also need to be able to have access to all of them AND don't mind traveling back and forth to do so. If you are at your place that may be one thing where you can do the job in phases vs. going to a hunting property or job site and needing to haul all the stuff with you and it MUST be done in one trip.

I own a dual-lid long bottom grapple, tree puller, and stump bucket (no grapple). There is some overlap in function, but none perform the same task and this comes with a price. The barn is in the middle of 60 acres so I can swap out attachments easily enough and can dig stumps one weekend, come back and stack, and then move piles days or weeks apart. I normally don't have that much free time so I like to just get it done asap.

If you use the time portion to your advantage, you might be OK with the stump/grapple combo if you stack piles and let them age so they "stick/clump" together. It may not be as efficient, but would work reasonably well at half the cost. This is one way people do it with pallet forks and no grapple. You will drop some little stuff, but if it is small enough, you may be able to clean it up with a rotary cutter/flail which could be your rear ballast depending on how much room you need to work.

If you are digging out large stumps and root balls, it would depend as I presume both the SB/grapple and grapple would be doing one at a time anyway just based on weight.

/ Is A Stump Bucket Grapple A Capable Brush Handler? #26  
I have had very good results with my subcompact bx25d picking up brush piles with the regular bucket and the add-a- grapple and the piranha tooth bar. It doesn't drop broken brush and small debris. You can do some effective brush grubbing with this setup, as well.

/ Is A Stump Bucket Grapple A Capable Brush Handler? #27  
As previously stated - I don't dig out stumps. Those that fall or have to be cut down are just too big to even consider using a grapple. Generally speaking - they are 26" to 38" diameter on the butt.

They are all way out on my property and Mother Nature will, with time, take care of them

My grapple it the rock and root type. It does OK for collecting and moving limbs. Not as good as a long tine bucket. But that's not what I got the grapple for. I move LARGE rocks and chunks of pine tree trunk with the grapple.

/ Is A Stump Bucket Grapple A Capable Brush Handler? #28  
This is the kind of information I was hoping to get. Someone using a narrower type of grapple and giving input on if they have difficulty moving brush. Thank you.
This Gorilla Grapple is very narrow at 44 inches wide:
P5060032.JPG

It will pick up very wide brush:
p1300026-jpg.759587

P1300027.JPG