Iseki engines

/ Iseki engines #1  

retired007

Tractor
New Holland 3930 Kobota Zd21 Mule 4010 New HollandTZ25DA
Not familiar with these engines. Any info would be helpful. Looking at the compact tractors and saw these engines are in the Massey compacts.

/ Iseki engines #3  
Likewise. Now have close to 800 hrs on my GC 2310, and the engine still runs very well; have had some issues with the tractor, but so far no problems with the engine at all.

/ Iseki engines #4  
I had the same question before purchasing a Massey GC1710. I did some research and found Iseki has a very good reputation for engines. I have 140 hrs on my tractor now-- no problems.

/ Iseki engines #5  
They are no better or worse than a Yanmar or Kubota. All about the same..

/ Iseki engines #6  
They are no better or worse than a Yanmar or Kubota. All about the same..

Probably quite true. A little web chasing reveals that Iseki is the 3rd largest AG equipment mfr in Japan. Also that AGCO sells blue Iseki-branded tractors up to 60 HP in Australia and New Zealand. Both 3 and 4 cyl engines. My first thought is that in most if not all of these tractor manufacturers, the engine is the LEAST of your worries and you are far more likely to have whatever problems you have elsewhere, not with the engine. I've had Kubota, Yanmar and Perkins engines on various tractors, had MANY problems (at least a few on every brand) and NEVER had an engine problem, ever. I think all the mfrs know that the engines in their products have to be "good" otherwise they will soon be out of business. And they do adequate QC accordingly. Same as the auto industry. I cannot say the same for QC on the rest of the tractor.

/ Iseki engines #7  
Probably quite true. A little web chasing reveals that Iseki is the 3rd largest AG equipment mfr in Japan. Also that AGCO sells blue Iseki-branded tractors up to 60 HP in Australia and New Zealand. Both 3 and 4 cyl engines. My first thought is that in most if not all of these tractor manufacturers, the engine is the LEAST of your worries and you are far more likely to have whatever problems you have elsewhere, not with the engine. I've had Kubota, Yanmar and Perkins engines on various tractors, had MANY problems (at least a few on every brand) and NEVER had an engine problem, ever. I think all the mfrs know that the engines in their products have to be "good" otherwise they will soon be out of business. And they do adequate QC accordingly. Same as the auto industry. I cannot say the same for QC on the rest of the tractor.

Agreed..

/ Iseki engines #8  
Not familiar with these engines. Any info would be helpful. Looking at the compact tractors and saw these engines are in the Massey compacts.

Retired,

There are 3 different categories I consider in a company that builds engines.

1. Category 1 is an engine builder who has supplied engines to several manufacturers.

2. Category 2 is a engine builder who has supplied engines to major manufacturers for a period of at least 20 years or longer and with great success enough that the manufacturers wold like to continue the partnership..

3. Category 3 are engine builders who full fill cat 1 and cat 2 but also design and actually build tractors that their engines go into and have been doing it for a lengthy period. Yanmar, Kubota, and Iseki all meet that standard. Many others may be cat 1 or almost a cat 2 but many common names don't meet this category 3 level.

One other interesting point is that ALL THREE brands I mentioned build non-standard features in their designs that happen to be "standard" in that group of three. An example is all three build scuts with front direction engine cooling with others don't. I consider such issues as this quite important also. A more efficient cooling system tends to make for longer term engine durability.

/ Iseki engines #9  
Retired,

There are 3 different categories I consider in a company that builds engines. ... A more efficient cooling system tends to make for longer term engine durability.

I think that's good logic Axlehub and agree almost completely. I have a different view of one topic which is cooling. I have a BX2200 which I've used for 16 years, have bought 2 others (used) as a service to other family members, etc. and I firmly believe there is a cooling design problem with the BX series. All these machines have the same issue about cooling. By the way I also have two B2150 4 cyl non-BX tractors that have NONE of this disease whatsoever. All the other tractors I ever owned (Deere, Massey Harris, Massey Ferg) had huge overkill in cooling capacity.

The problem is this: the BX series tractors, operated for longer periods of time in hot outside air temps (90's and more) while pulling a significant load, (like that of a 60 inch MMM deck mowing grass without stopping for an hour or two) will get hot. Period. Mine runs at the top end of the black range very near red under those conditions and always has -- that is with all the due diligence of cleaning the screen with compressed air, back blowing the radiator, cleaning the external shroud around the battery that lets cooling air in, etc.The slightest overlooking of care and it will go into the red under these conditions. These little buggers just get hotter than they SHOULD. Every once in a while one gets out of hand requiring remedial attention (there have been several TBN threads about it.) All the discussion to date contains a lot of speculation, the usual due diligence described above, etc. but NONE that I have ever seen get to the bottom of the problem and NONE have identified the real cause.

By process of elimination I feel I know what the cause MUST BE -- namely too small a water pump. The radiator is way bigger than necessary for that size a little engine. The fan likewise. The air paths are overkill and adequate (if cleaned out religiously...) , etc. I would bet some cash that a larger capacity water pump will cure the marginal issue. And it is a MARGINAL issue -- one you can get by with, one you can live with "BUT it ain't right!" I've never taken the time (nor invested a dime) to find out if the slightly larger Kubota engines' water pumps will fit the BX engines. I'd love to try it if I could find one that fits.

/ Iseki engines #10  
My GC1705 has about the best cooling system I have seen on a tractor, with the radiator in the back and fan blowing around the engine forward works perfectly. Keeps the heat off the operator. My temp gauge stays at 1/4 of the range in 85F heat.. My 2305 would heat up to much if I worked it hard in high temps..