JB Weld, Steel Stick Or Similar to Seal Very Minor Propane Leak?

/ JB Weld, Steel Stick Or Similar to Seal Very Minor Propane Leak? #1  

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
I have a very minor leak at the point of the red arrow. Just barely bubbles with leak liquid. Odor is very faint. Supply line/tank is to the right of the picture. This is the high pressure side before the second stage regulator feeding the house.

Obviously, the best way is to tighten that coupling, but that means breaking the union which means shutting the gas off and letting air in the line which will need to be purged. If JB Quick, Steel Stick or some similar fast setting epoxy type product will seal it, I could avoid all of that. Fittings are 3/4" Black Iron Pipe ( once I wire brush the pain off ). But even if they seal initially, will they hold up to LP over time?

GasLeakPoint.jpg

/ JB Weld, Steel Stick Or Similar to Seal Very Minor Propane Leak? #3  
Me, I'd shut the gas off, replacing the union and two nipples either side. You're only talking about a few bucks. Then I'd have my propane delivery company do a leak down test.
I wouldn't try any kind of patching.
I'm sure other's will disagree with me but a few bucks & an hour's work...propane...it's not worth it.

/ JB Weld, Steel Stick Or Similar to Seal Very Minor Propane Leak? #4  
Take it apart, clean everything and seal it up correctly is your best bet. Like the guy above said its a few bucks worth of fittings and 15 minutes of time to do it right.

/ JB Weld, Steel Stick Or Similar to Seal Very Minor Propane Leak? #5  
If it's leaking fix it right, don't take chances with an explosive gas. If you don't want to do it pay the money and have it done right. That way you won't have to worry about how long a temporary fix will hold before needing redone.

/ JB Weld, Steel Stick Or Similar to Seal Very Minor Propane Leak? #6  
This isn't a JB Weld fix in my opinion.

Take it apart for sure. Replacing the union and nipples might be overkill, but you would have all the parts to fiddle with if need be. Make sure that you have appropriate pipe sealant for propane/gas when you put it back together. I like the Rector seal brand.

All the best,

Peter

/ JB Weld, Steel Stick Or Similar to Seal Very Minor Propane Leak? #7  
I have used Jomar seal WOG (water oil gas) for Natural gas and propane pipe thread sealer. Reator Seal #5 or #7 also. they are rated for petroleum usage.

/ JB Weld, Steel Stick Or Similar to Seal Very Minor Propane Leak? #8  
....This is the high pressure side before the second stage regulator feeding the house....
Who supplies the high pressure line? A company or is it from your own tank? (you don't list a location so not sure how this works in your world).

If it's a company (like Natural Gas), call them. They take leaks VERY seriously.

We lived in our house (with Natural Gas) for years. Every week long vacation we would open the front door and would smell natural gas. Only for a quick minute and it was gone... finally I called the company and within 15 minutes they were there, doing a pressure test. His comments were we rarely find any leaks and it most likely the smell is from a chemical in the basement.

The look on his face when he said, "Don't go back in your house, I'll be back with a $15k sniffer..." Sure enough, we found the leak, he tightened the union down (hard to reach, under a major beam). Cost to us, nothing!

/ JB Weld, Steel Stick Or Similar to Seal Very Minor Propane Leak? #9  
If anyone without a gas fitters ticket does anything to that assembly your insurance may be null and void. Call the gas company

/ JB Weld, Steel Stick Or Similar to Seal Very Minor Propane Leak? #10  
Most of the folks here are safer (maybe smarter) than me. I would try to crank it down a quarter of a turn before anything else.. pipe wrench on the nipple, correct open end on the junction. I wouldn't try jb or anything though, you want a physical seal.

Best,

ed