JD 670, switching from mowing to Ag setup

/ JD 670, switching from mowing to Ag setup #1  

FarmerChee

Tractor
Troybilt Horse, JD 670, Kubota B2910, Kubota L39, Lodge and Shipley Choremaster
Hey All,

I am looking at switching my 2WD 670 from the previous owners lawn mower setup to something more like a row-cropper. It has some rather worn out and very wide (31x15.5-15) turf tires on it now. I would like to switch to bar tires for pulling a plow/disk/cultivator, but a couple of things:
  • 31x15.5-15 bar tires are 300 and up per tire, plus mounting. That hurts considering the tractor was $2500.
  • The 3pt arms rub the current tires when turning with an attachment swinging. The arms are REALLY close to the tires to begin with.
  • I don't know the lug pattern to price other wheels.

Wondering if moving to a skinnier wheel and tire would be comparable in price, and help deal with my 3pt arms rubbing issue. I am relatively new to this tractor setup thing, so I also am unsure whether the wider tire with greater flotation vs the skinny tire that I guess will dig more will be the better solution. Would like to do it right considering these tires/tractor will be barn kept will likely last the remainder of my life.

Last edited:
   / JD 670, switching from mowing to Ag setup #2  
Hey All,

I am looking at switching my 2WD 670 from the previous owners lawn mower setup to something more like a row-cropper. It has some rather worn out and very wide (31x15.5-15) turf tires on it now. I would like to switch to bar tires for pulling a plow/disk/cultivator, but a couple of things:
- 31x15.5-15 bar tires are 300 and up per tire, plus mounting. That hurts considering the tractor was $2500.
- The 3pt arms rub the current tires when turning with an attachment swinging. The arms are REALLY close to the tires to begin with.
- I don't know the lug pattern to price other wheels.

Wondering if moving to a skinnier wheel and tire would be comparable in price, and help deal with my 3pt arms rubbing issue. I am relatively new to this tractor setup thing, so I also am unsure whether the wider tire with greater flotation vs the skinny tire that I guess will dig more will be the better solution. Would like to do it right considering these tires/tractor will be barn kept will likely last the remainder of my life.

Basically, your machine is a Yanmar painted JD green. A few places offer wheel spacer to put the turf tires a little further outwards. Up to 4 inches. Many of the Yanmar YM parts and dealers have rims, tires and upgrades to bring your tractor back to the Ag level.

Yanmar rims and wheels also would fit your machine. Just the rims are white and not yellow. From time-to-time one would see a Deere with white rims, this is the reason why.

Deere has limited support for the 50/55/70 Series, so the Yanmar supply chain is where parts can be had.

PARTS FOR OLDER USA YANMAR MODELS, GRAY MARKET AND JOHN DEERE SIBLINGS
Most listing here allow for local parts pickup. Please call first in this covid19 era.

FREDRICKS EQUIPMENT

1312 South Bethel Rd.
Decatur, AL 35603
PARTS HOTLINE - 256-751-3555
email - parts@fredricksequipment.com
NEW On-Line SHOPPING - https://fredricksequipment.com/shop
Yanmar; YM / FX / F / Ke, John Deere / Kubota / Iseki / Mahindra / Others

HOYE TRACTOR PARTS INC.
2099 US Hwy 287 E
Iowa Park, TX 76367
PARTS HOTLINE - 940-592-0181
Contact page - Yanmar Tractor Parts:
On-Line Shopping - Yanmar Tractor Parts:
Yanmar Parts / John Deere / Yanmar Marine engine parts

SOUTHERN GLOBAL
404 First Street North
Wiggins, MS 39577
PARTS HOTLINE - 866-742-5748 Toll Free
email - sales@southern-global.com
On-Line Shopping - https://www.southern-global.com
New parts for Yanmar / John Deere / Others
Japan Tractor Salvage Yard
Engine overhaul/rebuild kits

STEVENS TRACTOR PARTS
3715 Highway 71
Coushatta, LA 71019
PARTS HOTLINE - 800-333-9143 Toll Free
email - sales@stevenstractor.com
On-Line Shopping - https://www.stevenstractor.com
Japanese and Domestic Tractor Parts for many makes and model brands

WEAVER'S COMPACT TRACTOR
22 Fish Hatchery Rd
Shippensburg PA 17257
PARTS HOTLINE - 717-477-9332
On-Line Shopping - https://www.compactractorparts.com

ALL STATES AG PARTS
10 Ellefson Dr
De Soto, IA 50069
email - support@tractorpartsasap.com
PARTS HOTLINE - 866-609-1260 Toll Free
On-Line Shopping - https://www.tractorpartsasap.com
13 Locations for tractors and parts, 10 salvage yards, and 2 repair centers all in the Mid-West

SHEAFFER'S TOWN & COUNTRY TRACTORS INC.
320 Palmyra Rd
Dixon, IL 61021
PARTS HOTLINE - 815-284-3226
email - parts@sheftractor.net
On-Line Shopping - https://www.japanesetractorparts.com

TRACTOR JOE PARTS
14385 23 Ave N
Plymouth, MN 55447
PARTS HOTLINE - 888-860-9096 Toll Free
On-Line Shopping - Yanmar Parts | Up to 60% off Dealer Prices | TractorJoe.com
Strong Yanmar Gray Market parts provider
Offers a comprehensive selection of equipment and parts for US Yanmar & Yanmar Gray Market tractors

/ JD 670, switching from mowing to Ag setup #3  
POSSESSING A KUBOTA COMPACT 4-WD B2910, WHY DID YOU ACQUIRE THE SUBCOMPACT 2-WD DEERE 670?

SELL THE DEERE 670 AND BUY QUALITY IMPLEMENTS FOR THE MORE CAPABLE KUBOTA B2910.

Your 2-WD Deere 670 is a subcompact tractor.

Your expectation of its capability should be restrained.

You will be better off with a PTO powered roto-tiller for soil prep than a plow + disc harrow combination.

R1/ag rear tires on compact tractors are mounted on two part wheel rims, which means two wheel spreads are available for the rear wheels. I am not sure this is true for R1 tires mounted on subcompact tractors. Others will comment.

R1/ag tires on a perhaps 15-16 (today) horsepower subcompact tractor, fitted with wheel weights or filled with liquid MAY improve traction working soft soil slightly. No difference working dry/hard soil.

You have to buy new wheel rims to mount R1/ag tires. As your tractor is 2-WD you may be able to stay with replacement turf tires on the front, although that would not be my choice.

EBAY is usually the least expensive source for replacement tractor tires and wheel rims.

John Deere 670 Tires
Ag front:5.00-12 (2WD)
6-12 (4WD)
Ag rear:9.5-16

Here are two correct size rear ag tires for $350 delivered.

There are many, many 4.00 X 12 ribbed tractor tires on EBAY.

You will only have 9" of ground clearance to cultivate row crops.

Your Deere 670 with implements matched to its limited weight and limited power should serve for a non-commercial kitchen garden in good tilth, up to 2/3 acre.

GARDEN IMPLEMENTS:

Last edited:
   / JD 670, switching from mowing to Ag setup #4  
POSSESSING A 27-HP/2,700 POUND BARE WEIGHT YANMAR 2610, WHY DID YOU ACQUIRE THE DEERE 670?

SELL THE DEERE 670 AND BUY QUALITY IMPLEMENTS FOR THE MUCH MORE CAPABLE YANMAR 2610.

You will be better off with a PTO powered roto-tiller for soil prep than a plow + disc harrow combination.

R1/ag rear tires on compact tractors are mounted on two part wheel rims, which means two wheel spreads are available for the rear wheels. I am not sure this is true for R1 tires mounted on subcompact tractors. Others will comment.

R1/ag tires on a perhaps 15-16 (today) horsepower subcompact tractor, fitted with wheel weights or filled with liquid MAY improve traction working soft soil slightly. No difference working dry/hard soil.

You have to buy new wheel rims to mount R1/ag tires. As your tractor is 2-WD you may be able to stay with replacement turf tires on the front, although that would not be my choice.

EBAY is usually the least expensive source for replacement tractor tires and wheel rims.

John Deere 670 Tires
6-12 (4WD)

Your tractor with implements matched to its limited weight and limited power should serve for a non-commercial kitchen garden in good tilth, up to 2/3 acre.

GARDEN IMPLEMENTS:

Jeff,

I think you got the OPs JD670 and my posting all confused and jumbled up. I'm not looking for a JD670. LOL

/ JD 670, switching from mowing to Ag setup
Basically, your machine is a Yanmar painted JD green. A few places offer wheel spacer to put the turf tires a little further outwards. Up to 4 inches. Many of the Yanmar YM parts and dealers have rims, tires and upgrades to bring your tractor back to the Ag level.

Yanmar rims and wheels also would fit your machine. Just the rims are white and not yellow. From time-to-time one would see a Deere with white rims, this is the reason why.

Deere has limited support for the 50/55/70 Series, so the Yanmar supply chain is where parts can be had.

PARTS FOR OLDER USA YANMAR MODELS, GRAY MARKET AND JOHN DEERE SIBLINGS
Most listing here allow for local parts pickup. Please call first in this covid19 era.

FREDRICKS EQUIPMENT

1312 South Bethel Rd.
Decatur, AL 35603
PARTS HOTLINE - 256-751-3555
email - parts@fredricksequipment.com
NEW On-Line SHOPPING - https://fredricksequipment.com/shop
Yanmar; YM / FX / F / Ke, John Deere / Kubota / Iseki / Mahindra / Others

HOYE TRACTOR PARTS INC.
2099 US Hwy 287 E
Iowa Park, TX 76367
PARTS HOTLINE - 940-592-0181
Contact page - Yanmar Tractor Parts:
On-Line Shopping - Yanmar Tractor Parts:
Yanmar Parts / John Deere / Yanmar Marine engine parts

SOUTHERN GLOBAL
404 First Street North
Wiggins, MS 39577
PARTS HOTLINE - 866-742-5748 Toll Free
email - sales@southern-global.com
On-Line Shopping - https://www.southern-global.com
New parts for Yanmar / John Deere / Others
Japan Tractor Salvage Yard

STEVENS TRACTOR PARTS
3715 Highway 71
Coushatta, LA 71019
PARTS HOTLINE - 800-333-9143 Toll Free
email - sales@stevenstractor.com
On-Line Shopping - https://www.stevenstractor.com

WEAVER'S COMPACT TRACTOR
22 Fish Hatchery Rd
Shippensburg PA 17257
PARTS HOTLINE - 717-477-9332
On-Line Shopping - https://www.compactractorparts.com

ALL STATES AG PARTS
10 Ellefson Dr
De Soto, IA 50069
email - support@tractorpartsasap.com
PARTS HOTLINE - 866-609-1260 Toll Free
On-Line Shopping - https://www.tractorpartsasap.com
13 Locations for tractors and parts, 10 salvage yards, and 2 repair centers all in the Mid-West

SHEAFFER'S TOWN & COUNTRY TRACTORS INC.
320 Palmyra Rd
Dixon, IL 61021
PARTS HOTLINE - 815-284-3226
email - parts@sheftractor.net
On-Line Shopping - https://www.japanesetractorparts.com

TRACTOR JOE PARTS
14385 23 Ave N
Plymouth, MN 55447
PARTS HOTLINE - 888-860-9096 Toll Free
On-Line Shopping - Yanmar Parts | Up to 60% off Dealer Prices | TractorJoe.com
Strong Yanmar Gray Market parts provider
Offers a comprehensive selection of equipment and parts for US Yanmar & Yanmar Gray Market tractors
Thanks, I had forgotten that JD doesn’t support the older yanmar models. Will make some calls on Monday.

POSSESSING A KUBOTA COMPACT 4-WD B2910, WHY DID YOU ACQUIRE THE SUBCOMPACT 2-WD DEERE 670?

SELL THE DEERE 670 AND BUY QUALITY IMPLEMENTS FOR THE MORE CAPABLE KUBOTA B2910.

John Deere 670 Tires
6-12 (4WD)

Your Deere 670 with implements matched to its limited weight and limited power should serve for a non-commercial kitchen garden in good tilth, up to 2/3 acre.

GARDEN IMPLEMENTS:

I am presently split between two properties, and the JD was my first tractor. A big motivation is that rototilling on a 30 horse hydro just sucks fuel beyond imagining. By comparison, the 18 horse gear shift 670 pulling a disk uses next to nothing. Especially after ground is already broken and you are just trying to knock the weedlings down.

The 670 pulls the plow/disk fine, but it is a bit of a nuisance having to babysit the 3pt depth because traction is so borderline. I’m not thrilled with the ground clearance either, but I’m a bit strapped at the moment juggling two mortgages and renovating. So I’m trying to keep this thing on a 500 dollar budget, rather than a 5000 dollar budget.

Trust me, there is a low hour Case 275 with Ag tires on craigslist right now that would be much better suited to the task, but alas...

Going to reread your post and ask some technical questions in second reply.

/ JD 670, switching from mowing to Ag setup #7  
Thanks, I had forgotten that JD doesn’t support the older yanmar models. Will make some calls on Monday.

The good thing is, there is a huge product support for these machines, sort of like the 8N, 9N and NAA machines these days. 2WD is the most supported, the 4WD units have part supply issues with front gears or bearings, BUT people are finding those METRIC replacements.

/ JD 670, switching from mowing to Ag setup #8  
I am presently split between two properties, and the JD was my first tractor. A big motivation is that rototilling on a 30 horse hydro just sucks fuel beyond imagining. By comparison, the 18 horse gear shift 670 pulling a disk uses next to nothing. Especially after ground is already broken and you are just trying to knock the weedlings down.

The 670 pulls the plow/disk fine, but it is a bit of a nuisance having to babysit the 3pt depth because traction is so borderline. I’m not thrilled with the ground clearance either, but I’m a bit strapped at the moment juggling two mortgages and renovating. So I’m trying to keep this thing on a 500 dollar budget, rather than a 5000 dollar budget.

Trust me, there is a low hour Case 275 with Ag tires on craigslist right now that would be much better suited to the task, but alas...

Going to reread your post and ask some technical questions in second reply.

Why not just add the DUALLIES to the JD670 then? The JD670 will get loads of traction.
Are the rear wheels filled too? This is the other method for getting traction. Beet juice or RV/Marine propylene glycol (pet safe).

Here are the JD850/950/1050 DUALLIES. If I recall, the bolt pattern should be the same.

double-stacked-wheels-01.jpg

/ JD 670, switching from mowing to Ag setup #9  
Dang, I think I broke your bank! Here are the duals.

Ah, this is for the S670 combine. WHEW.

Why not just add the DUALLIES to the JD670 then? The JD670 will get loads of traction.
Are the rear wheels filled too? This is the other method for getting traction. Beet juice or RV/Marine propylene glycol (pet safe).

Here are the JD850/950/1050 DUALLIES. If I recall, the bolt pattern should be the same.

View attachment 702369
Oh haha... don't get me started on duallies. I have a Steiner that i just put bar tires on to deal with all the muck on the paths in the woods, the dual setup was very tempting. I love the idea of duallies on a small tractor b/c I very much believe in traction and weight over power when doing things on a budget.

Do you have any opinions on whether a massively wide bar tire vs a conventional skinny Ag tire will have remarkably different performance?

The bar tires i put on the Steiner were rather plump, and I do have to say they just floated right over the bog in my yard. I am not sure what is best suited for pulling implements thru the garden, assuming I can add a small spacer to fix the rubbing issue.

PS: I'm not getting email notifications from TBN like usual. I checked my forum settings and they are set correctly. Spam folder is empty on my side. I wonder if the SMTP server is acting up. Anyone else?

Last edited: