JD Power SSQA upgrade

/ JD Power SSQA upgrade #1  

Jim Timber

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5065e MFWD w/553 FEL
I decided that I'm just lazy enough to do this modification. :laughing:

After finding out the lift links on the 3pt were partially cast iron, I was extra nervous about what on God's green Earth they made the cast actuator arms out of for my SSQA. So after several spark tests (couldn't convince myself what I was seeing was right - high carbon?), and pinging with a hammer (sounds like a quality anvil when thunked), I jumped in and started welding up the needed additional eyelets for the cylinder.

20160307_012751-1[1].jpg

Of course, I didn't just whip up some tabs and have at it. I had quite a bit of measuring and checking and tacking and checking, etc. But it was easier than some adaptations I've done. So after fighting with some stress cracking (the latch is a massive hunk of steel and weld cracks are common), I got both of them done and painted up.

20160307_045826-1[1].jpg

The only things left are to get some roll pins for my actuator cylinder clevis' pins, and reconfigure the hydraulics on my boom. :)

More pics when I get more done.

/ JD Power SSQA upgrade #2  
Interesting :thumbsup:

/ JD Power SSQA upgrade
20160311_164121-1.jpg

Still need some fab work for the diverter to run it, but the tractor's back in action.

/ JD Power SSQA upgrade
Just need to button up the hose restraints, and finish wiring the diverter.

20160423_160459-1.jpg

20160423_161201.jpg

Started raining, so this is it for today.

/ JD Power SSQA upgrade #6  
Looking good

/ JD Power SSQA upgrade
Thanks Btown!

Still need to wire in the second diverter, and weld on some hose clamps, but it's real close to being operational.

The first diverter is for my 3rd function and passes through the second when the 2nd isn't energized. I'll have a toggle to trigger the 2nd diverter so I still need to use the button and trigger the 3rd function diverter to open/close the SSQA latches. Once hooked up, throw the toggle off and there's no way to accidentally unlatch the bucket/attachment.

/ JD Power SSQA upgrade #8  
Thanks Btown! Still need to wire in the second diverter, and weld on some hose clamps, but it's real close to being operational. The first diverter is for my 3rd function and passes through the second when the 2nd isn't energized. I'll have a toggle to trigger the 2nd diverter so I still need to use the button and trigger the 3rd function diverter to open/close the SSQA latches. Once hooked up, throw the toggle off and there's no way to accidentally unlatch the bucket/attachment.

I like the toggle switch idea to avoid accidents or mishaps. Looks like it will work good when you wrap it up.

/ JD Power SSQA upgrade #9  
Maybe make the toggle a momentary and then it would be all but impossible for you to accidentally trigger it or forget you left it on. Looks nice, but I am curious to see more pics on how you did it. I wonder if there will be any leakage/creep through the second diverter that may cause you trouble over time? I keep getting the feeling that both tractors I have had with diverters had such a leak from the get-go.

:thumbsup:

/ JD Power SSQA upgrade #10  
My diverter on my hydraulic SSQA has some leakage but any leakage through the diverter is equal to both side of the piston cylinder, base end/extend side has more push force at same pressure than rod end so cylinder stays extended, locked on tight.