Jd2305 starter

/ Jd2305 starter #1  

Wvanatti

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2305 (2010)
I figured I would start a new post on this. My tractor had been partially under water in Orlando during Hurricane Ian. After, it would only start on the second attempt.
Today, wouldn’t turn over at all.
With a small board, tapped on the starter solenoid while trying to start. Just the slightest tap an it starts. Have to do it every time now.
Read that you have to pull exhaust muffler and left motor mount, jack up to get out. I’m curious if anyone has pulled the solenoid on top with starter in place ? I’m not sure how it’s connected. If so I can get to it easily to take off an clean.

/ Jd2305 starter #2  
Worth a try.

Post some pics to help get some advice.

/ Jd2305 starter
Worth a try.

Post some pics to help get some advice.

Will do, I plan to work on it tomorrow. Looks like the solenoid is gear driven. I’m hoping I can take the two top bolts off solenoid and slide out of starter. Really need to take starter apart an clean as well, but need my loader for all the cleanup I’m doing. I’ll let everyone know how it works out. Just glad it’s narrowed down to the starter. Relay troubleshooting is not one of my strengths.

/ Jd2305 starter #4  
Every one I've swapped did not require breakdown of the starter assembly. Usually attached to the actuator lever with a hook or similar. Sometimes a little awkward to reattach.
Regardless you're ahead if it works but not behind if it doesn't

/ Jd2305 starter
IMG_5793.JPG
IMG_5790.JPG
IMG_5791.JPG
IMG_5792.JPG
IMG_5793.JPG

/ Jd2305 starter
Got the top “ starter off this am. What a complete bugger. No way to remove the whole assembly without pulling engine or putting a double nut as a jam nut to back out the stud. Even then not sure enough room for wrench. Luckily I see the stuck brush and think I can repair. $126 for whole new unit. Be glad to buy it, but not going to tear the tractor all the way down to replace just a starter

/ Jd2305 starter #7  
There are some other forums that are more JD oriented that might be of help. I wish I could be of more help but it woukd have to be one of those things I had done once to be of any help.

/ Jd2305 starter #8  
You can't lift the engine slightly with a jack and remove that motor mount and top bracket assembly? The top bracket is made of folded plate so it can't be part of the engine casting and should bolt to the casting underneath.

Also it appears this is one of those reversed ones where what you pulled off is the motor unit and the solenoid is the square unit below and it looks like there's some internal gear reduction in between on the right. So I think the thing you've been tapping on has been the motor

If enough water got in there to rust out that brush in the motor unit I'm thinking there's likely rust elsewhere as well.

/ Jd2305 starter #9  
I found this pic of a Yanmar starter cutaway on another post by bmaverick (thanks bmaverick!) and I think yours is set up similar:
1668868665756.png

/ Jd2305 starter
Thanks for all the input. The top part of the starter is the motor. I was able to disassemble, clean up the stuck brush. I just put it back together and just clicked. One tap on the top and it starts. I’m going to Oder the new starter. Then once I have it try to change. As one said, water has to be down in the bottom also.
The only thing I see possible is to buy thin metric nuts and from the back side jam two nuts together and possibly unscrew both studs from the rear. Either that or pull engine. I’m really at a loss. All the JD forums I’ve read, everyone is complaining of the same issue and no one has yet to say how they changed it. The manual posted says remove exhaust stack, did that. Then remove to bolts and change. Useless. Ugh

Last edited: