JD2305 IAN flood

/ JD2305 IAN flood
Relays are probably the issue. As said before, they are most likely not waterproof. Wet inside and slowly corroding away, especially if there's power in there to feed electrolysis corrosion.

I once had a flood in my basement and the sump pump outlet was sitting on the floor rather than draining the water away. After everything was fixed, everything was fine, and the pump worked great. But 6 months later, the sump pump failed. Water got into the little micro switches and it took a while for them to corrode away.

I would recommend replacing every relay, if it's easy to get to them. They're typically not too expensive and will get you ahead of a lot of flaky behavior.

Edit: Solid state "relays" should not be affected by the water, not sure if there are any of those in there.

Thanks, looks like a total of 5 relays. I may try to work on it Fri night. Probably try to take apart an clean. If I can’t. See if same part number and do some swapping on relays. Read on the starter. Looks easy to get out. Very comfortable with taking apart. But after reading. Yikes. Have to pull exhaust system an motor mounts. Take loader bracket off. Jack up motor. Ugh. Starter will be last I look at.

/ JD2305 IAN flood #22  
When working at the shop, we would get atv's, snowmobiles, etc that went swimming and needed repair. Anything and everything that water could seep into would need cleaning or replacement. Some people would only want us to repair what is wrong TODAY to save money. But, every couple of weeks they would have another problem. Switches, relays, elec motors, control cables, and gauges are a good start.

Note: Never crank over an engine that may be hydro-locked without first pulling the glow plugs or spark plugs.

/ JD2305 IAN flood
When working at the shop, we would get atv's, snowmobiles, etc that went swimming and needed repair. Anything and everything that water could seep into would need cleaning or replacement. Some people would only want us to repair what is wrong TODAY to save money. But, every couple of weeks they would have another problem. Switches, relays, elec motors, control cables, and gauges are a good start.

Note: Never crank over an engine that may be hydro-locked without first pulling the glow plugs or spark plugs.

Agree. My jD gator, Cazador golf cart, JD D100. Farmall Cub, Kubota BX2380 and JD2305 all got new fluids, and filters. D100 was the only one that had water in the head. All are back to running 100%. Gas, diesel ,oil and hyd fluids all had water. Quite the mess considering I’m above flood plane. The 2305 is my last problem child. And really the one I care the most about. ( figures). I’ll get it eventually. Was just hoping that someone had seen this before and make the troubleshooting lazy for me. I’ve thrown $ and parts at things before. Don’t want to go that route till I know the bad part. As always, thanks for the valuable input. Really appreciate each and every one.

/ JD2305 IAN flood
Started an new thread. Figured out it’s the starter. Or solenoid on the starter.

/ JD2305 IAN flood #26  
Yeah, kept delaying looking at it. Had loader on moving brush from the storm. I had started it several times. Then was like oh. It doesn’t do it anymore. One less thing on the to do list.
See procrastination has it's merit. I tell my wife this when something I had been putting of fixes itself or goes away on its own. Doesn't happen that often though.

/ JD2305 IAN flood
See procrastination has it's merit. I tell my wife this when something I had been putting of fixes itself or goes away on its own. Doesn't happen that often though.

I’m just glad it finally showed me where the problem is. I’ve put 8 hours working on it so far. 6 trying to get the starter off. It’s an unbelievable bad design. I’m guessing another 8hours or more just to get the starter off. Mostly depends on how many times I have to stop to go patch my hands with bandages.

/ JD2305 IAN flood #28  
It’s an unbelievable bad design.

Bad design because you couldn't figure it out? or that it took in water a few weeks ago in a flood?

Sounds like you are getting it figured out and on the way to getting it fixed. That is good.

/ JD2305 IAN flood
Bad design because you couldn't figure it out? or that it took in water a few weeks ago in a flood?

Sounds like you are getting it figured out and on the way to getting it fixed. That is good.

The flood was unexpected. Called it the 500 year flood. No one expected the water to rise so high.
As for the design, they could have used two bolts instead of 3” studs. I plan to change the studs to bolts. Next guy will have a 20 min job. What I’ve figured out to take the starter off as built.
Remove mower deck
Take loader off
Remove left loader bracket from tractor
Remove exhaust pipe
Take nuts (4) off two left motor mounts.
Jack motor up for support
The worst part…. Take 7 bolts off plate on side of engine so top will come off both motor mounts.
Two nuts on starter
Elect removed (3)

The plate on the side of that holds the motor mounts is the worse. Barely get a wrench on the bolts.
14” wrench isn’t long enough to reach from the bottom, yet no assess from the side. Had to weld 6” bar onto 14mm wrench to reach them.

I’ve got them all loose, but not off yet. 1/4 turn at a time.