JD2305 IAN flood

/ JD2305 IAN flood
What happened with the Farmall? I'm just north of you but on high ground.

Had to change the gear oil in both rear drives, requiring dropping draw bar, changed oil. Back to good. Got everything running but the JDGator. Started, didn’t run right. Cleaned carb. New filters. New carb. Still won’t run right. Who knows….

/ JD2305 IAN flood
Update. 1 Nov 22

Went to start 2305 this am. Click. Let off key -then started. Back to its old trick since the flood.
I took the hood, grill and lower dash off. Disconnected battery.
Pulled every plug apart or off a relay I could find. Including starter and Alternator Sprayed out every connection with isopropyl alcohol pressurized. Blew dry with air. Used dielectric grease on all pins and assembled.Back together. =Click. Then starts on second attempt. Ugh. Again, only started this after the flood. Water level was half way up radiator, so I know the top dash and key switch wasn’t submerged.
At a loss. Any ideas out there ?
Appreciate any advise.

/ JD2305 IAN flood #13  
Going to take some detective work to learn what is different between the two events (before initial start and after that ). Depends on how much time you want to invest in tracking it down.

How long (time) between the first event (double key switching) and the next event when the same thing happens?

How long (time) will the initial "click" and a "start" hold on before the double ign switch is needed?

Think those numbers would help.

/ JD2305 IAN flood
Going to take some detective work to learn what is different between the two events (before initial start and after that ). Depends on how much time you want to invest in tracking it down.

How long (time) between the first event (double key switching) and the next event when the same thing happens?

How long (time) will the initial "click" and a "start" hold on before the double ign switch is needed?

Think those numbers would help.

That’s exactly the issue. Only when engine cool. First start. Fast as I can let off the key and attempt = starts. Good the rest of the day as long as engine is warm. With the front lower dash pulled. There are two relays on the bottom. My thought is one, or both have water causing it. Look like sealed relays. Not sure which one to break open or even order.

/ JD2305 IAN flood
That’s exactly the issue. Only when engine cool. First start. Fast as I can let off the key and attempt = starts. Good the rest of the day as long as engine is warm. With the front lower dash pulled. There are two relays on the bottom. My thought is one, or both have water causing it. Look like sealed relays. Not sure which one to break open or even order.

IMG_5684.JPG

Maybe the K1 relay in the diagram.

/ JD2305 IAN flood #16  
Fuse holders, relays and also the key-switch are not waterproof, and once moisture gets in them, it will hold moisture for a long time, and switch and relay contacts may be corroded. Since JD uses several relays for different functions, you could try swapping a few. You may need to replace the K.S., but before doing that, I think I'd remove the plug on the back, and looking very closely at it, see if there is any small opening toward the back, where you could spray some contact cleaner in, and just work the switch (still not connected) off-on-start, over and over dozens of times. The wiping action in doing this will tend to clean and lubricate the wiper and contact points. Might help; can't hurt.

One other thought that just occurred to me; the starter motor may have some dead spots (corrosion) on the armature. Have you address any attention to it, and to the starting solenoid? I'm thinking the problem may be in these areas.

/ JD2305 IAN flood
Fuse holders, relays and also the key-switch are not waterproof, and once moisture gets in them, it will hold moisture for a long time, and switch and relay contacts may be corroded. Since JD uses several relays for different functions, you could try swapping a few. You may need to replace the K.S., but before doing that, I think I'd remove the plug on the back, and looking very closely at it, see if there is any small opening toward the back, where you could spray some contact cleaner in, and just work the switch (still not connected) off-on-start, over and over dozens of times. The wiping action in doing this will tend to clean and lubricate the wiper and contact points. Might help; can't hurt.

One other thought that just occurred to me; the starter motor may have some dead spots (corrosion) on the armature. Have you address any attention to it, and to the starting solenoid? I'm thinking the problem may be in these areas.

Thanks very much. The JD Gator clicked and never would start. Tore starter apart. Full of junk. Good call. The starter is on the lower left and would have been submerged. That will be my next step, take apart and clean. Key switch definitely wasn’t.
Be a few weeks before I report back.
Vacation starts Friday

Last edited:
   / JD2305 IAN flood #18  
When an electrical switch doesn't work the first time but does the second, I suspect corrosion has set in. It doesn't make good contact the first time but that scores the corroded surface enough it does the second time. I've seen this on industrial equipment. Something to consider.

/ JD2305 IAN flood
When an electrical switch doesn't work the first time but does the second, I suspect corrosion has set in. It doesn't make good contact the first time but that scores the corroded surface enough it does the second time. I've seen this on industrial equipment. Something to consider.

Thanks. I just don’t think it’s the switch. Had a roll of paper towels on seat, they were dry. Switch is even. So I’m sure it didn’t get wet. But. Moisture has a way….

/ JD2305 IAN flood #20  
Relays are probably the issue. As said before, they are most likely not waterproof. Wet inside and slowly corroding away, especially if there's power in there to feed electrolysis corrosion.

I once had a flood in my basement and the sump pump outlet was sitting on the floor rather than draining the water away. After everything was fixed, everything was fine, and the pump worked great. But 6 months later, the sump pump failed. Water got into the little micro switches and it took a while for them to corrode away.

I would recommend replacing every relay, if it's easy to get to them. They're typically not too expensive and will get you ahead of a lot of flaky behavior.

Edit: Solid state "relays" should not be affected by the water, not sure if there are any of those in there.