Kubota F series

/ Kubota F series #421  
I’ll only buy a used mower or Bush hog with under 25-50hrs on it & that’s IF I know it’s history.

ive bought 4 JD tractors with 100-250hrs on them, saved a lot of $$ & gotten fine units.

I just can’t make myself but higher hour units

Yes I understand what you are saying!

I would prefer to buy new but just can't justify to prices they demand so I buy well used instead and pretend it's a hobby to rebuild a worn out machine.

Sometimes it works out great - other times not so great, but it keeps me busy in the shop and away from spending money somewhere else!

1623328435669.jpeg
1623328390905.jpeg

/ Kubota F series #422  
I outgrew working on & repairing eqpt lol

/ Kubota F series #423  
Got a call today on the status of the F3680.
The tractor must be split and the PTO repaired.
Big job. Probably won’t see it again for 2 weeks.
How did the repair turn out? Any details or extenuating circumstances?

/ Kubota F series #424  

HayDude's post repair comments are in the above thread.

/ Kubota F series #425  
Sixdogs,
seems absolutely fine, so far
I am cautiously optimistic

/ Kubota F series #426  
Hello all,

This looks like a good thread to bring up my new to me 2000 hour F3060, with a 72" rear discharge deck (RC72-F30). I bought it earlier this season, and have mowed with it about a dozen times or so. I used an old 24 HP Briggs and Stratton powered Encore ZT with a 52" deck for about 10 years prior to acquiring this machine.

Depending on the extent that I felt like mowing, the job would about 3 hours on the ZT, give or take. Mowing with the F machine takes about the same amount of time, but is MUCH more comfortable to ride on for 3 hours at a time than the ZT. Obviously, the agility of the ZT makes a huge difference that the 72" deck on the F machine cannot really improve upon much. Otherwise, the F3060 is an awesome machine.

I am learning to account for the tail swing, though I am still figuring it out. I have not caused too much damage... to anything of any consequence anyway. I have a few questions for the In The Know group:

1. I ran high lift blades on the old ZT, and really liked the cut quality. I did not bag any thing, mostly just sweep up what windrowed, if anything. I bought new Kubota blades from Messicks. I did not realize at the time, but the only Kubota blades available are low lift blades. I am able to find high lift blades, but none with the 7/8" diameter shaft hole- all of them are 1-1/8" diameter. Does anyone know of anywhere to source 7/8" shaft diameter blades for this deck?
2.I note that where I am required to make full lock turns, the grass is pretty stressed...in some places the grass is dead. Everything is pretty stressed due to the dry weather, but the maneuvering areas are especially stressed. I have some steep ground, but most is pretty flat. I have not used the 4x4 lock or the differential lock yet for any reason. Is there an opinion that the on demand four wheel drive causes this stress? I understand it is pretty easy to remove the rear driveshaft...would that be one way to counteract this problem?
3. The deck gearbox gets pretty warm. I can always place my hand on it after shutting down, but I feel like I better not leave it there very long. Is this normal?
4. I feel like it is kind of tricky to keep my mowing lines straight. The ZT was tricky also, but I was able to keep things pretty straight after a year or two of experience. Is this normal, or this there some steering play I need to look for and correct?
5. The deck drive belt came off last week. Since it was partially off, and it was the belt that came with the deck, I thought I would go ahead and install the new belt that I bought right after I bought the machine, thought the old belt was still in pretty good shape. Unfortunately, the gear box sheave seems to be about 1/8" too low, thereby not allowing clearance for the belt to get past it. It seems there is a collet that secures the sheave to the output shaft. It looks like there is room for it to raise up. It appears also that the gearbox would have to be removed to work on it. Has anyone had this apart and can confirm this for me?
6. I read the posting on the driveshaft rebuild issues, and can see that I have project in my future. The driveshaft vibration is not bad yet, but, I can see that eventually it will be. I will reach out to that thread when the time comes. I saved the parts list PDF from the thread already.

Sorry for the long post. I would greatly appreciate input from the collective experience.
Thank you,
Doug Vazquez
Shelton, WA

/ Kubota F series #427  
I have a few small complaints. One is that the deck is a PITA to adjust for height. My ZD331 (72” zero turn) is just a knob. The F’s require pins to be pulled and a pretty complicated chart to be followed.
I am lucky in that I always cut at 3&3/4”, so not a big deal, but if you had to change cut heights often, whoopsie daisies!

Don’t like the “heel/toe” pedal. Would much prefer twin pedals

I find the hydrostatic whine to be on the excessive side. One customer even said to me “that thing is loud”.

Would be nice if a set of red blinkers were on back for roadside mowing safety.

The deck has an extremely rigid steel chute that takes hunks of bark off trees. I retrofitted a plastic chute on from an ExMark. Now trees are safe.

The mower deck front wheels are pneumatic and must be the smallest pneumatic tires ever made LOL. Maybe better to go with solid rubber?

Other than that, it’s awesome :LOL:

/ Kubota F series #428  
Yes, the deck height adjustment is not very convenient. At least you have pins. Mine has spacers. Not sure if pins could be retrofitted or not. As far as the gauge wheels go, I hear that some people foam fill them. Not sure if that is a good idea or not. So far mine seem to not be a problem.

The only sound comments I have received are that it the machine is really quiet...at least compared to the 24 HP Briggs at WOT, and the high lift blades howling.

Doug

/ Kubota F series #429  
Yes, the deck height adjustment is not very convenient. At least you have pins. Mine has spacers. Not sure if pins could be retrofitted or not. As far as the gauge wheels go, I hear that some people foam fill them. Not sure if that is a good idea or not. So far mine seem to not be a problem.

The only sound comments I have received are that it the machine is really quiet...at least compared to the 24 HP Briggs at WOT, and the high lift blades howling.

Doug
Mine has spacers too. I’d hate to lose one.
I have come to realize a few things about these “F type” mowers (all brands of them, not just Kubota) compared to a zero turn:
They are not as fast, by a long shot.
They are not quite as maneuverable
They do not have an easily adjustable deck
They are more complicated to fix
They are more expensive to buy

But they get amazing traction on hills and for that reason alone, their shortcomings are acceptable for me. Otherwise, I would just run zero turns.

/ Kubota F series #430  
On the Kubota trans whine, I found that Kubota brand SUDT2 gives me less whine in my B7800. Some do and some don't so if not using it, try on your next fluid change.