L 3240 HST

/ L 3240 HST #1  

RJJR

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 Kioti DK45 HST
Hi folks,
Trying to compare apples to apples between Deere and Kubota and I'm not sure which tractors to compare. I've got 14 acres and about half is in cutover. I'll want to clear this for a home site and then use the tractor for general maintenance and projects such as stump pulling, loader work, mowing, gold fish ponds, driveway maintenance etc. What model in the Kubota line would meet these requirements. Is the Grand L 3240 too big for these applications? What kind of strenght can I expect out of the loader and back hoe for this tractor? Had been looking at the 2520 in the Deere Line but think it may be a bit small? Good incentives though on it right now.
Thanks for your help.
RJ

/ L 3240 HST #2  
The L3240 sounds like a real nice home size, I've been thinking of getting one. I have a L3710 ( a little bigger and older ) its never ever run out of power. The L3200/L3800 might suit you, but they don't have the better hydraulics of the Grand Ls.

/ L 3240 HST #3  
For clearing land I wouldn't go any smaller but once cleared the 3240 hst would be a great homeowner tractor. It's small enough to do almost anything you'll ever want to do yet big enough to do almost everything you want to do. You could even step up to the 3540 and get a little extra HP in the same size. The GL line up has a great HST transmission with options not found on any other brand.

/ L 3240 HST #4  
I think a comparison with the Deere 3320 would be more appropriate considering weight, size, power, 3pt capacity & hydraulics. At least, that's what I compared with in 2007 when I got my L3240. The decision was not a very clear one - on paper they seemed to be pretty well matched. It came down to the K dealer enthusiatically trying to get me in the seat to drive it, vs the D dealer focusing on writing up the bill of sale. I use mine on 11 acres for a variety of work - ground engaging, tilling, brush hogging, snow plowing, FEL, logging, etc. It does everything I could reasonably expect it to; often it does a lot more. BTW, the LA724 is a very nice loader option.

One thing, though: The Plant Manager has put me on notice that at no time is it allowed on the lawn around the house. That is her balliwick and the Craftsman reigns supreme in that realm (when it's running - heh heh). So you may want to consider something much smaller and lighter (and cheaper) for cutting the grass around your house, especially if you get the L3240 with ag tires, live in an area that can have rain for weeks on end, or have a lot of obstacles around the lawn to avoid when mowing.

Good luck and let us know what you decide,

Jim

/ L 3240 HST #5  
I have the L3240 in GST model and I was amazed at how tight it will turn... Like on poster said the hyd will left more and IMO that is worth the little extra for the Grand L. It is pretty dang quite for a diesel also...

AndyG

/ L 3240 HST
Thanks, I'll go get in the seat of both and see how it goes from there. I think I'm going to pay someone to do the heavy clearing and then use one of these for the annual maintenance. Is it wide enough to take hills pretty well? I have some land that slopes toward a pond.
Thanks again,
RJ

/ L 3240 HST #7  
there is no real apples to apples to Deere in this size. The 3320 is kinda close, but its a smaller frame and alot less capacity in a few area's, you gotta move up the 20 series to a machine with more HP to start to match the L3240 in a few areas.

/ L 3240 HST
Could you give me a couple of examples for comaprisons?
Thanks

/ L 3240 HST #9  
There is not clear cut comparison between Deere and Kubota for this tractor. The 3320 is a slightly smaller tractor. It is 700 pounds (HST) lighter and has 3.5 inch shorter wheelbase. The engine power will be a wash. The Kubota heavy duty loader lifts 300 pounds more and sticks out 5 inches more. The Kubota light duty loader has 300 pounds less capacity than the Deere. The Kubota has a slightly higher flow rate in the hydraulic system, but I think it looks great on paper but doesn't really mean anything in the real world.

Either would do what you want and not leave you needing more. Try them both, see what they cost delivered to your driveway. Don't hide the fact to either that you are shopping the other. I think they are both fine tractors. Disclaimer - I have the Deere. Price was right but I bought i used, and yes, I am happy with it.

/ L 3240 HST
I went on the website and JD compares it to the B3030 HSD so it looks like the 3240 Kubota may be a little more tractor as you mention. That doesn't seem to be a fair comparison as the 3030 is almost 2K less and smaller in HP. Will the Kubota 3240 or 3320 Deere either pull a 6 foot bush hog? I feel pretty sure the 3030 will not.
Thanks for the help.