L295DT front pto flex shaft for loader

/ L295DT front pto flex shaft for loader #1  

sullivanmar

Hi,

I have a Kubota L295DT with an after-market front end loader. I believe the tractor and loader are late 1970's vintage, and have learned that the loaders were typically after-market add-ons during this period.

Based on other posts and pictures here, I assume it is something like the LA463, with the hydraulic reservoir in the right-side support structure.

The hydraulic pump is mounted on the front and uses the PTO from the front of the engine. The connection between the engine and the pump was via a "flex shaft" as seen in the attached pictures. Also as you can see in the pictures, this one is broken.

I've called Kubota and several parts dealers with no success. The part does not seem to be available.

Any suggestions for what I could use to replace it? The tractor still runs great, and the loader works fine when it has power.

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

• HPIM3732.jpg
    HPIM3732.jpg
    535.1 KB · Views: 545
  • HPIM3734.jpg
    HPIM3734.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 438
   / L295DT front pto flex shaft for loader #2  
Are there any driveline shops in your area that can build small driveshafts?

/ L295DT front pto flex shaft for loader #3  
The end at the engine will be the hard part for a shop to duplicate - it needs an internal metric spline. Maybe the two ends could be cut off and re-attached to a new center section. Another idea would be to make a new sleeve with set screws and weld it to the coupling end over the break.

/ L295DT front pto flex shaft for loader
Thank you for the suggestions. Both are ideas that I've (minimally) investigated. But I don't have enough experience to know where/how to start. The few places I've visited to see if I can have a replacement part fabricated have responded with blank stares.

Any more specific suggestions on what type of shop or where I could go for help? FWIW, I'm located in the northern MA, southern NH area.

Thanks,
Mark

/ L295DT front pto flex shaft for loader #5  
A local farm equipment/tractor dealer would know the sources in your area for machine shop and welding repairs. They might have that capability or may have someone they recommend. Need to find a guy with a lathe and a welding setup. I'd generally recommend two large (maybe 3/8") cup-point set screws in-line on a 2" long sleeve, bored to be snug fit over the spring, and welded to the broken-off end. I would avoid welding to the spring part, because it is hardened & tempered and will likely develop small cracks if welding is attempted. A mechanical set-screw connection should last a while but the flexible spring part is rusted and will need checking or re-tightening. As always, prompt cheerful refund if info is bogus;)

/ L295DT front pto flex shaft for loader #6  
I have this exact same issue. A local shop is trying to make a shaft, but I am not getting the feel good on it, as it has taken them over a week and it is still not done. Does anyone have a part number available for the original shaft? Much obliged.

/ L295DT front pto flex shaft for loader #7  
Cut the spring out and get a shaft welded on each end then put in a lovejoy coupler.

/ L295DT front pto flex shaft for loader #8  
Hello know its been awhile since this topic was discussed but the front flex shaft broke on my tractor last night . How did you guys fix yours ?

/ L295DT front pto flex shaft for loader #9  
Hello know its been awhile since this topic was discussed but the front flex shaft broke on my tractor last night . How did you guys fix yours ?
A simple search turned up this 3/8" drive flexible shaft.

flexible shaft

And another

flex

It could be the starting place to fix yours. The coupling which slides unto the end of the crankshaft would have to be retained

Dave M7040