LandPlane,, My DIY

/ LandPlane,, My DIY
Nice find. If you don't mind... How much was the song?

All four blades are 8" wide,, and are 126 pounds each for the 3/4" ones.
The 5/8" ones are about 115 pounds each.
I paid $170 total for all of them.
That ends up being 482 pounds,,, at about 35 cents a pound. :cool2:

Normal price for the 3/4" ones is $169 each.

As far as the paint, the nicely painted ones have the paint missing in the mounting holes.
Once something has been mounted, they do not sell it as new.

A customer probably requested that their new motor grader have a different cutting edge.

I looked up the part number of the 3/4" one, the CAT website showed typical applications.
it is the cutting edge for a current production motor grader with a 14 foot blade.

/ LandPlane,, My DIY #22  
If you go back look for blades with center mounting bolts. If you find these you can flip them over and get twice the life out of one blade.

Another reason that I used what I had.

IMG_20160721_171105_552_zpsb5xi4h6q.jpg

/ LandPlane,, My DIY #23  
If you go back look for blades with center mounting bolts. If you find these you can flip them over and get double life out of one blade.

Another reason that I used what I had.

IMG_20160721_171105_552_zpsb5xi4h6q.jpg

I built my lpgs in 2009 and use it a lot in my business. Mine has the center mounting to reverse them but after 8 years there is still no need to.

/ LandPlane,, My DIY #24  
CADplans I would recommend mounting the grader blades to 6x6x1/2" angle iron. The added height will allow you to carry more material to fill in dips.

Those are nice blades, I bought my first set from CAT and my second set for the smaller plane from Deere. All of them have held up very well.

/ LandPlane,, My DIY #25  
I built my lpgs in 2009 and use it a lot in my business. Mine has the center mounting to reverse them but after 8 years there is still no need to.

Life depends a lot on how hard it is, just saying you can double it, for blades, if you pick the right one.

/ LandPlane,, My DIY
Thanks for the comments, and input guys!! :thumbsup:

My LP will be used for personal use,, I doubt it will ever show wear on these blades, based on my needs.

I thought the sides of the LP were massive,,, the blades will overwhelm the entire build.

weld%20table_zpsxsgwjmu7.jpg

The blades sure overwhelmed my weld table!! :laughing:

The center two bolts are for the grader blades.
The bolt on the right is a 3/8" dia bolt for scale.
The bolt on the left is a 1/2" CAT bolt,,, the head seems to be about twice as thick,,,

BoltsA_zpsxxfvnad8.jpg

/ LandPlane,, My DIY #27  
When I mounted my blades I am pretty sure I used 5/8" plow bolts. Is that what you have in your picture?

/ LandPlane,, My DIY
When I mounted my blades I am pretty sure I used 5/8" plow bolts. Is that what you have in your picture?

The smaller bolt is 5/8", the larger one is 3/4"
I took a pic while drilling a 3/4" hole in a 1" thick bar yesterday,,,

drill%20hole_zpssqr7y7sv.jpg

/ LandPlane,, My DIY
I figured out how I wanted to mount the front blade, then found and cut the steel.
Next, there was a LOT of hole drilling,,, I have a pretty good size Amazon box full of drill chips :D
The front blade assembly is ready to weld into the frame,,,

Front%20Blade_zpsh6gld47t.jpg

This blade assembly is 13 inches wide,,, there may not be a need for a second blade.

I will have the frame ready for a second blade,,,but,,
I will definitely try the land plane with just one blade before adding the second.

The blade assembly is massive,, the assembly in the pic weighs over 300 pounds.
I would bet there are complete land planes on the market that only weigh 300 pounds total.

The strength of this assembly is also incredible.
I have no concern that the assembly will easily stop my 60 HP tractor.
The blades, are not only very thick tool steel, but, they are heat treated, also.
If you hit the blade with a hammer, they ring like a bell.

If I do not use all of the blades in the land plane,,,
I think I will cut up the remainder and make the loudest wind chime,,, EVER!!:laughing:

/ LandPlane,, My DIY #30  
Are you building this with back to back blades as in your picture?