Laser for fence layout > 1000ft

/ Laser for fence layout > 1000ft #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
Putting in fence with several very visible straight stretches. I had a nice Bosch laser level which was stolen, so I知 looking for something which will give me an EASY straight line for fence layout.

I know about a transit, but I知 really looking for something I can do alone if possible.

I need a laser source that is powerful enough for a long distance if at all possible, and a detector. The beginning and end points are always within line of sight of each other.

I saw 鏑ine Wizard which would likely work, but it痴 close to $800 and I壇 like to find something less expensive if possible.

Any thoughts?

/ Laser for fence layout > 1000ft #2  
1000’ in daylight with a laser is difficult....on a budget and or available to the general public. If you don’t have midpoints you will need to set a few with a partner and trans or something with cross hairs. Even if set 3-4 spots in the 1000’ that would help.

/ Laser for fence layout > 1000ft #3  
I bought my Top con at Tiger Supplies. Best prices around and made buying new a better bet than close to new prices for dubious used stuff.

I am not sure if they have what you want, but it's worth seeing what they have. I did a cursory look and only found units in the 200 foot range.

/ Laser for fence layout > 1000ft #5  
1000’ in daylight with a laser is difficult....on a budget and or available to the general public. If you don’t have midpoints you will need to set a few with a partner and trans or something with cross hairs. Even if set 3-4 spots in the 1000’ that would help.
A 600mw laser is hard to see at 10' in daylight. You'll end up needing a laser detector to be useful. Rotary lasers are usually good up to a 1000' radius, 2,000' diameter if you plant it in the center. Those ranges are only with a laser detector. Only some of the rotary lasers will work in a vertical orientation.

I sent my CTS/Berger back because of grade slope issues. But it did fine for basic level horisonal & vertical stuff. CST-berger RL25HCK Horizontal Self-Leveling Rotary Laser Complete Package

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414827 I havent gotten the new Dewalt in yet so cant comment on it.

/ Laser for fence layout > 1000ft #6  
Lets Macgiver this. Get a 500 mw handheld laser. $20 to $30 bucks. Rigidly secure it to a survey tripod or similar. Place a 4x8 sheet of plywood at the termination point. Go out at night and "aim" the laser at the plywood. You should be able to see it at 1000'. The next day while wearing laser protection glasses go to the halfway point and look back at the handheld and you should be able to drop a stone or plumb bob within an inch or 2. Then reverse the process and work backwards. I would not look at a 500 mw laser at less than 500' even with laser glasses.

Now this will only work if the land is very level as the laser does not have a vertical component.

/ Laser for fence layout > 1000ft #7  
Lets Macgiver this. Get a 500 mw handheld laser. $20 to $30 bucks. Rigidly secure it to a survey tripod or similar. Place a 4x8 sheet of plywood at the termination point. Go out at night and "aim" the laser at the plywood. You should be able to see it at 1000'. The next day while wearing laser protection glasses go to the halfway point and look back at the handheld and you should be able to drop a stone or plumb bob within an inch or 2. Then reverse the process and work backwards. I would not look at a 500 mw laser at less than 500' even with laser glasses.

Now this will only work if the land is very level as the laser does not have a vertical component.

I like this idea.
I know the laser on my pistol will reach out 500' at night.
Set laser up on tripod, sight to a sheet of plywood at night, spray paint the point it hits and drive a stake that night or next morning.
Rotate 180 deg. & repeat.

/ Laser for fence layout > 1000ft #8  
When I installed a long fence line my wife helped. I have a Ruger .243 with Bushnell scope (I unloaded it, checked chamber, safety on!). Then I laid out 3ft. stakes every 50ft.
I had her hold 10ft. 1"x1" pole, post level on it. I'd site it in any she would move stake to exact spot every 50ft.
It went fast, accurate, and that's where I auger drilled and put a treated post (3ft. down well tamped, ends in concrete). Then I ran a string post to post. Using a 10ft. PVC pipe I'd go along with (4) seven ft. T posts driving them in level. Installed wire 8" up so I can mow along easily, stretched super tight two 2x4s bolted together and come-a-longs.
End posts I put a post 45 degrees notched and bolted to upright ones. A double post 3ft. apart with crossbeam every 5th one.
I've never fenced before, just figured it out.

/ Laser for fence layout > 1000ft #9  
When I lay out my fencing here, I just use string. It comes in 1000 foot lengths and is pretty cheap to buy. No problem seeing it in the sunlight either, and gives me a straight fence line in the end.

/ Laser for fence layout > 1000ft #10  
The problems with string over that distance is that it will sag under its own weight and it will be subject to winds. Works better if you can lay it on the ground, but that presents problems also.

How 'straight' do most fences really need to be? Precision? Or just enough to appear straight without wavering and looking crooked?