Lawn Roller fill

/ Lawn Roller fill #1  

MikeR 2018

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610 HST with FEL, Rotary Cutter, Box Blade and HLA Grapple
I'n thinking of getting a lawn roller. It requires 94 gallons of liquid. What is the cheapest non-freezing liquid that I could use? I don't know if beet juice would cost more than antifreeze, or how much antifreeze I'd need.

/ Lawn Roller fill #2  
Everything seems to be expensive these days. Beet juice should be much cheaper than antifreeze. If you can find a bargain, windshield washer fluid is pretty cheap, but beet juice is a good bit heavier per gallon.

/ Lawn Roller fill #3  
Why not fill it with water? Use it all summer and drain it in the fall. If you drain a little more then 1/2 the water freezing it should not be a problem.

/ Lawn Roller fill #4  
Don't complicate the situation. Use water - drain it in the fall.

/ Lawn Roller fill #5  
I used a lawn roller like you describe to try to smooth out a rough yard; had no lasting effect. Neighbor owned a fairly large steam roller; borrowed that - same result.

my advice is that they really don't accomplish anything.

if you are smoothing out a rough area, best bet is to take the time to do something like tilling it, and then smoothing it out. Throw some grass seed on it and let it grow for a year and you'll be done and happy.

/ Lawn Roller fill #6  
best bet is to take the time to do something like tilling it, and then smoothing it out. Throw some grass seed on it
Which is why you need the roller. Till, seed, roll. Compact the seed into the soil. Same as planting crop seed.

They also work for flattening mole runs, though you may have to do it a few times before you flatten the mole making the runs.

Mine is poly and only about 30-40 gallons, but a gallon of automotive antifreeze has done the job for several years. How cold it gets in the dead of winter may mean increasing the AF mix rate though.

/ Lawn Roller fill #7  
I have one with a plastic roller. I stored it full for a few years (no chance of freezing in my barn) and it ended up deforming the roller into an egg shape. I've since gotten it back to round by storing it empty with the pointy side down. It gets emptied after every use now.

/ Lawn Roller fill #8  
I could never figure lawn rollers out either. I never even heard of such a thing until i moved to ohio. Growing up in the heart of real farm country, no one did this. my lawn is fine without rolling. It has some dips, holes, swales. But a roller will not help those. So what does a roller do?

/ Lawn Roller fill #9  
When you seed a bare area you roll it to get the seeds into the soil so they germinate better. Rolling can help level an existing lawn. It doesn't do anything about the low spots but it can pack down some high spots.

/ Lawn Roller fill #10  
I roll my lawn in early Spring. In the NE, we get frost heaves and the 48" roller flattens them out. I use water as ballast and it's drained late Summer or early Fall...but long before any freezes