Leaking Log Splitter Cylinder

/ Leaking Log Splitter Cylinder #1  

dougtrr2

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX24
I have had my TSC log splitter for well over 20 years. Yesterday I noticed a small amount of seepage on the closed/welded end of the cylinder. As I was trying to verify that it was actually hydraulic fluid, I discovered a second pinhole leak that spurts fluid. So I have at least two leaks on that end of the cylinder, one seeping and spurting.

I am assuming I need to just replace the cylinder since it is on the closed end. Even if I were to have someone weld over those two spots, I wonder how many more are on the way. Any thoughts on repairs and sources for replacements?

Doug in SW IA

/ Leaking Log Splitter Cylinder #2  
Guaranteed fix would be expensive, replace cylinder.... But My first though would be to try to have cylinder welded.... Experienced welder should be able to do this in a heart beat... Then keep fingers crosses they are the only problem with weld...

If you are replacing cylinder many places have them.... Northern Tool, Surplus Center, search for "log splitter ram"

Possibly something like this....

/ Leaking Log Splitter Cylinder #3  
I’d have it welded.

/ Leaking Log Splitter Cylinder #4  
You didn't say if leaks are on the weld or on the metal cap. Assuming on the weld, i second the weld repair. If on the actual cap area, i'd be scared something else is going on inside and want take a look in there instead of just welding.

Pinhole leaks are bad news - under pressure they act like a waterjet cutting machine. Hang heavy white rag over it if you repair it, to see if the spray leak comes back.

/ Leaking Log Splitter Cylinder #5  
Have it welded and it will be good for another 20+ years.

/ Leaking Log Splitter Cylinder #6  
The right way to do it is pull the cyl apart, machine off the buttplate, tig weld the root and cap weld the outside.
If you weld it only on the outside only it will only be a temp repair cuz the crack will push its way out eventually.

/ Leaking Log Splitter Cylinder #7  
The right way to do it is pull the cyl apart, machine off the buttplate, tig weld the root and cap weld the outside.
If you weld it only on the outside only it will only be a temp repair cuz the crack will push its way out eventually.

Yes, but paying a shop to do that would exceed the cost of a replacement cylinder. Welding the outside will very likely last the life of the splitter.

/ Leaking Log Splitter Cylinder #8  
No problem for the right repair shop if they are set up. This cyl was previously professionally welded and failed after a few months after the crack migrated.
Here’s the before, during and after of the right repair.

Attachments

• E23E06A2-E5C1-4458-80A6-7829918250E5.jpeg
    E23E06A2-E5C1-4458-80A6-7829918250E5.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 54
  • A94FC7A3-9CAF-493C-8D89-A8FB10470A4D.jpeg
    A94FC7A3-9CAF-493C-8D89-A8FB10470A4D.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 25F65E59-11A1-47FC-BA6B-140BA8FF1763.jpeg
    25F65E59-11A1-47FC-BA6B-140BA8FF1763.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 56
   / Leaking Log Splitter Cylinder
I am leaning toward replacement. I had a welder come in to fix some seeping on my low pressure (<30psi) boiler. The location was awkward, but he had a very hard time getting is sealed. The leaks kept moving to the perimeter of his weld. Maybe it was just his skill level, but it does make me gun-shy.

I am finding it hard to find the exact replacement. I think I have a good Speeco number, so I will scour the internet now.

Doug in SW IA

/ Leaking Log Splitter Cylinder #10  
Forget part numbers.... Go by diameter of cylinder and length and type of securing to rail and wedge.... Funny thing I found when repairing my DURR splitter, many splitters where made under contract from MDT... Same part numbers on many different brands of splitters....Only difference really seemed to be they were painted different colors, sort of like this week, 500 red ones, next week 500 blue ones, and week after 500 black ones.....

See link in post #2...

Last edited: