Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,721  
I asked the New Holland dealer if there were any alternatives to the center pull Sundown flail mower. He clarified that DelMorino actually doesn't make a center pull, but that he can get a Land Pride. The Land Pride looks like a nice mower, but costs about twice as much. What are your opinions on them? How do they compare to the John Deere 390?

Also the Land Pride rotors are specific to the blade type, so switching blade type may be a little more complicated and expensive. They have duck-foot, heavy Y, and hammer styles. If we will occasionally cut brush, should we go with the heaviest (hammer) blade? Do the hammer blades do a cruddy job cutting grass? Though these are wetland sites we're managing, not lawns.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,722  
Like hell Del Morino does not make a center mount flail mower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Models;

FLIPPER

DISCO

The FLIPPER and DISCO models have permanently attached center mounting points for the three point hitch.
The FLIPPER can be used easily by simply adjusting the left lower link to tighten it to prevent it from swaying.

CENTURION- it has the hydraulic side shift that centers it

LEVANTE- it has the hydraulic side shift that centers it

FARM- it has a manually adjusted side shift that allows it to be centered as well

Look at the MASCHIO flail mowers as this person does not seem to know what he is doing.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,723  
Like hell Del Morino does not make a center mount flail mower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Models;

FLIPPER

DISCO

The FLIPPER and DISCO models have permanently attached center mounting points for the three point hitch.
The FLIPPER can be used easily by simply adjusting the left lower link to tighten it to prevent it from swaying.

CENTURION- it has the hydraulic side shift that centers it

LEVANTE- it has the hydraulic side shift that centers it

FARM- it has a manually adjusted side shift that allows it to be centered as well

Look at the MASCHIO flail mowers as this person does not seem to know what he is doing.
Thanks, I'm looking into it some more. Does Del Morino still make the Victor model? Those appear to be center pull. Plus they can cut a little greater diameter and a little higher off the ground than the Flipper models.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,724  
Dude trying to sell you what he's got in stock. Move some inventory...

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,725  
Yes, they still sell the VICTOR model.

Last edited:
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,726  
Yes, they still sell the VICTOR model.
Thanks. I got quotes on the Levante and the Victor. They seem similar, but the Victor is heavier.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,727  
Found a prize today. Sold a box blade and the buyer suggested I try this farm equipment place a bit down the highway. Pull in there sits three Alamo SH88 flails right up front. Two marked $1595 and one a little rougher marked $1295. Blades on the one I bought look brand new, still sharpView attachment 767298View attachment 767299

This is awesome! Flailmaster will have any and all parts you'd need for this unit. I also have a SHD88, and it's an absolute tank. Just keep an extra belt on hand. The belt will break if you wedge something in it, like firewood (ask me how I know...). The belt size is C54, and I just get whatever brand is available. They usually last me about a year, depending on how careless I get. Whenever I break one, I put the spare on and order another spare. I use it to mow 3ft tall grass as well as my lawn. Mine is on my tractor 90% of summer. It also works great as a counterweight for lifting heavy stuff.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,728  
I am looking for a new flail mower for my 2025R in the 50" - 60" working width range. I have noticed brands like Peruzzo and Caroni (F type shaft) have around twice as many flails compared to most other brands. Any pros or cons to this?

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,729  
Are they the same type of flails "J" or inverted "Y" or hammers of different widths.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,730  
I am looking for a new flail mower for my 2025R in the 50" - 60" working width range. I have noticed brands like Peruzzo and Caroni (F type shaft) have around twice as many flails compared to most other brands. Any pros or cons to this?
I think generally speaking, more flails means a finer cut. It can also mean more maintenance. And flails made for finer work, might not be as suited to munching up brush and sticks. So kinda depends what you're gonna be mowing. My 60 inch mower only has 14 hammers, but each one is over 3 pounds and they look like a metal bear claw. But I don't mow lawns. I use it to munch up brush and weeds and so far it has been an amazing tool for that.