Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,941  
I was able to learn some information on the mower today. I reached the regional distributor who was very helpful. He directed me to the local parts dealer, who was able to provide me with a PDF manual and give me an idea about parts availability and ball park costs. He also checked what the price for a new unit would be- approximately $12K.

Apparently, though it is an older unit, the SMO 200 is a current model. The working width is 79" and it weighs around 1,300 lbs. It sounds like my L48 might be a little light, though the horsepower is in the range (40-85), it is at the lower side of the range.

I am a little concerned about the overall weight. Kubota's specs on the weight are a little confusing the way the max weight on the end of the 3 point hitch arms is 3,748 lbs, but the max implement weight is 880 lbs. I guess I do not understand why there is such a huge disparity between the two spec numbers.

Anyhow, I am going to go look at the machine tomorrow morning, with my trailer. He will have the mower on his tractor to demo it for me, so I should be able to get a better feel for what the required capability might be. If there are any words of wisdom to share, I would be interested in hearing them.

Thanks again everyone for the input,
Doug

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,942  
Are you going to be using the mower/tractor and different locations? If you are using it primarily in one location I wouldn't be too concerned about the weight. 95% of the time it will be setting on the ground being dragged by the tractor.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,943  
I was able to learn some information on the mower today. I reached the regional distributor who was very helpful. He directed me to the local parts dealer, who was able to provide me with a PDF manual and give me an idea about parts availability and ball park costs. He also checked what the price for a new unit would be- approximately $12K.

Apparently, though it is an older unit, the SMO 200 is a current model. The working width is 79" and it weighs around 1,300 lbs. It sounds like my L48 might be a little light, though the horsepower is in the range (40-85), it is at the lower side of the range.

I am a little concerned about the overall weight. Kubota's specs on the weight are a little confusing the way the max weight on the end of the 3 point hitch arms is 3,748 lbs, but the max implement weight is 880 lbs. I guess I do not understand why there is such a huge disparity between the two spec numbers.

Anyhow, I am going to go look at the machine tomorrow morning, with my trailer. He will have the mower on his tractor to demo it for me, so I should be able to get a better feel for what the required capability might be. If there are any words of wisdom to share, I would be interested in hearing them.

Thanks again everyone for the input,
Doug
I think you are on a good track -- looking at it carefully, in person, see it demo'd, you will know plenty by the time you buy or don't buy. With everything said so far I'd say you CAN use this flail mower OK. Not a real robust tractor for the mower BUT it may still be very useful as a combo. My impression is you handle enough equipment that you can buy this SMO, try it out for a while, see if it is a keeper for you, and if not you are not out a whole lot by reselling it. Not likely to get hurt a lot. So... I say go for it. [Based of course on what you see first hand and the demo.]

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,944  
Are you going to be using the mower/tractor and different locations? If you are using it primarily in one location I wouldn't be too concerned about the weight. 95% of the time it will be setting on the ground being dragged by the tractor.
D2,

Good point. I will be using it in one location, maybe it isn't too big of a deal.

Thank you,
Doug

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,945  
I think you are on a good track -- looking at it carefully, in person, see it demo'd, you will know plenty by the time you buy or don't buy. With everything said so far I'd say you CAN use this flail mower OK. Not a real robust tractor for the mower BUT it may still be very useful as a combo. My impression is you handle enough equipment that you can buy this SMO, try it out for a while, see if it is a keeper for you, and if not you are not out a whole lot by reselling it. Not likely to get hurt a lot. So... I say go for it. [Based of course on what you see first hand and the demo.]
That is what I am thinking too. Before I put much money into it, see if the combination is happy. If it is, then great, maybe fix it up a bit. If not, then peddle it.

Thanks again,
Doug

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,946  
Hi Doug, if you don't mind can you say what they are asking for the SMO 200? TIA--Dave

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,947  
Hi I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have a Seppi offset orchard mulcher that takes the SMW hammers and am looking to replace them and the bolts and nuts that hold them in place. I have bought from flail Master in the past but they are out of business and was hoping that someone had a place they were getting hammers from. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Please send an e-mail to Seppi in Ohio with pictures to identify
the flail shredder you have before you go any further as your flail
shredder requires the cast hammers.

www.seppi.com

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,948  
Hi Doug, if you don't mind can you say what they are asking for the SMO 200? TIA--Dave
Blitz,

Sorry it took a while to get back to you. I went to pick up the mower. I paid $0.38 per pound for it:). Actually, I paid $500 for it and it weighs about 1,300 lbs. Pretty much salvage cost.

The gearbox sounded fine while running, everything turned nicely, except the rear roller. It will require new bearings. One hammer was missing, so it vibrated somewhat. For what I paid for it, I think I have a lot of room to make it a good implement for a pretty reasonable price.

Besides the roller bearings, the next item coming will be remote hydraulics to operate the side shift. I will utilize the backhoe supply/return plumbing to supply control valves. I would like to have a least two circuits, maybe 3. I have seen one pretty nice set up on youTube where he set up the control valves to be easily removable for when the backhoe is installed. Just disconnect the hoses from between the backhoe plumbing and the valves, then lift valves off of the mounting point with the short hoses.

Anyhow, thank you all for the input.
Doug

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,949  
Blitz,

Sorry it took a while to get back to you. I went to pick up the mower. I paid $0.38 per pound for it:). Actually, I paid $500 for it and it weighs about 1,300 lbs. Pretty much salvage cost.

The gearbox sounded fine while running, everything turned nicely, except the rear roller. It will require new bearings. One hammer was missing, so it vibrated somewhat. For what I paid for it, I think I have a lot of room to make it a good implement for a pretty reasonable price.

Besides the roller bearings, the next item coming will be remote hydraulics to operate the side shift. I will utilize the backhoe supply/return plumbing to supply control valves. I would like to have a least two circuits, maybe 3. I have seen one pretty nice set up on youTube where he set up the control valves to be easily removable for when the backhoe is installed. Just disconnect the hoses from between the backhoe plumbing and the valves, then lift valves off of the mounting point with the short hoses.

Anyhow, thank you all for the input.
Doug
Doug, I'm sure you did just fine . . .

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,950  
Please send an e-mail to Seppi in Ohio with pictures to identify
the flail shredder you have before you go any further as your flail
shredder requires the cast hammers.

www.seppi.com
Thank you for your reply, I am in contact with Seppi, and they are getting me set up with what I need!