Flail Mower Let's talk flail mowers

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,981  
If you are asking about Rinierie flail mower - no it does not!

It's not "reversible" at all, that's just a little language problem with the translation I think.

Check the brochure in post #7974 for more details.

Last edited:
   / Let's talk flail mowers #7,982  
I just picked up my first flail mower-a crusty old John Deere. At first I assumed it was a 25a but after inspecting the name plate it apparently is an F2200. Anyone ever seen an F2200 flail mower and would you happen to know if 25a parts will interchange?

It's going need bearings on the roller at minimum. The one side is missing the entire bearing and housing assembly and the other side looks rough.

Also would be curious if anyone here has a parts mower that would sell the rear deflector/shield from, and/or the belt cover? If not I would consider making them if anyone could provide some of the dimensions.

Once I get it working good I'd like to give to some fresh paint!

1000004783.jpg

1000004784.jpg

1000004786.jpg

1000004787.jpg

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,983  
That looks like a solid old mower in somewhat neglected condition.

Should be fine after overhaul - hopefully no big surprises.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,984  
Used FL165 flail mower refurb in process. (not sure of manufacturer, I think Titan/Ironcraft, at least it looks just like their's in the pictures). Most of the hanger bolts are bent. Seem to be standard grade 2 bolts, should I replace them with grade 5? Also the rotor is bent. A local machine shop is going to try to straighten it, but if push comes to shove we'll see if we can get a replacement. Surprising the hammer flails themselves are in pretty good shape. Wonder if the previous owner replaced them after the damage occured.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,985  
Hello all,
New tractor owner here. Considering a Del Morino Centurion Super 158 to run behind a Kubota L4060. Del Morino says it weighs 820 lbs and needs a 15-60 hp tractor , makes a 62” cut and an overall width of 72”. The L4060 manual says the tractor can handle up to an 880 lb flail mower. I have loaded tires (rimguard) and 2 sets wheel weights (appx. 200lbs per wheel). The Del Moreno dealer (Messicks in this case) recommended I step down to the next smaller model the 132. The 132 is a 52” cut (10” less) and 772lbs (app. 50lbs lighter). The price difference is $200. If my tractor can handle it the extra width on the 158 seems preferable.
I have a relatively hilly property in the. Hudson Valley with a pond. The idea behind getting such an expensive mower was to hopefully do it “all” and not get multiple mowing implements. I have 2 fields which I am required to mow so woody vegetation does not grow per the easement agreement. I estimate the fields are 15 acres. One is relatively flat, very wet, and rough and the other is smoother, drier, and hillier.
There are slopes around the driveway and barn that seem ideal for me to push the flail out to the side and mow while I am on a compacted driveway or other flat area. I am hoping to minimize mowing on hills.
Is the L4060 big enough to handle the larger mower? Am I wrong to think this one unit can take care of my mowing needs? Does anyone have this tractor and mower combination and can provide some thoughts?
It’s a lot of money to get it wrong.
Thanks for your thoughts.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,986  
That's about the same size as my flail mower and I have no issues running it with 28HP at the PTO and your tractor is spec'd at 32-34HP at the PTO. Mine also weighs 820 pounds and no issues there either, I leave it on there most of the time as ballast :D

Del Morino says 15-50HP and you're right in the middle, unless you're mowing really thick stuff it should be fine. Last week I mowed my cousins field and he has a patch over his leach field that gets pretty thick and was 3-4feet tall. I did need to slow down a bit but just a bit.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,987  
I wouldn't worry so much about the horsepower issue. What I see happening is the tail wagging the dog. That is a hydraulic offsetable mower, when you swing that 800 pound mower out to the side or over a bank your tractor is going to be marginal to handle that weight off to the side.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,988  
Hello all,
New tractor owner here. Considering a Del Morino Centurion Super 158 to run behind a Kubota L4060. Del Morino says it weighs 820 lbs and needs a 15-60 hp tractor , makes a 62” cut and an overall width of 72”. The L4060 manual says the tractor can handle up to an 880 lb flail mower. I have loaded tires (rimguard) and 2 sets wheel weights (appx. 200lbs per wheel). The Del Moreno dealer (Messicks in this case) recommended I step down to the next smaller model the 132. The 132 is a 52” cut (10” less) and 772lbs (app. 50lbs lighter). The price difference is $200. If my tractor can handle it the extra width on the 158 seems preferable.
I have a relatively hilly property in the. Hudson Valley with a pond. The idea behind getting such an expensive mower was to hopefully do it “all” and not get multiple mowing implements. I have 2 fields which I am required to mow so woody vegetation does not grow per the easement agreement. I estimate the fields are 15 acres. One is relatively flat, very wet, and rough and the other is smoother, drier, and hillier.
There are slopes around the driveway and barn that seem ideal for me to push the flail out to the side and mow while I am on a compacted driveway or other flat area. I am hoping to minimize mowing on hills.
Is the L4060 big enough to handle the larger mower? Am I wrong to think this one unit can take care of my mowing needs? Does anyone have this tractor and mower combination and can provide some thoughts?
It’s a lot of money to get it wrong.
Thanks for your thoughts.
NO, NOPE, DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your mule is not heavy enough and wide enough to counter the over center forces swing created by the mower YOU want, nor does it have a low center of gravity and you are a new user.

You should invest in the model 32 as it is better sized flail shredder/mower for your current mule.

These shredder mowers are also designed to mow vertically fully extended in orchards and berry rows using low profile all wheel drive orchard and vineyard tractors as well as mowing tree lined lanes with heavy row crop tractors to keep the brush beaten back.

You need a full set of suitcase weights for this mule as you want to keep the front of the tractor on the ground.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,989  
Leonz comment made me go look at a Centurion Super 158, I didn't realize it was articulated like that... yeah that's gonna be trouble. Mine just sits behind the tractor, it has a "side shift" but only 18 inches or so, not way out there.

/ Let's talk flail mowers #7,990  
NO, NOPE, DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your mule is not heavy enough and wide enough to counter the over center forces swing created by the mower YOU want, nor does it have a low center of gravity and you are a new user.

You should invest in the model 32 as it is better sized flail shredder/mower for your current mule.

These shredder mowers are also designed to mow vertically fully extended in orchards and berry rows using low profile all wheel drive orchard and vineyard tractors as well as mowing tree lined lanes with heavy row crop tractors to keep the brush beaten back.

You need a full set of suitcase weights for this mule as you want to keep the front of the tractor on the ground.
Thanks. This was my concern - the torque forces when extended out and to the side. I have a loader so I am thinking my front end should have enough weight and my rear tires are set out all the way. It is the side shift part that concerns me. Do you think the 10” /50lbs reduction of the smaller unit (132) will make enough of a difference?