Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed?

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #71  
I spend time here, mostly reading and learning. Have learned a lot and really appreciate those who post and assist.

I hope I have the correct place for this question, if not I apologize. I am having a gun safe being delivered next week and have opted to lift it off the delivery truck myself to reduce the delivery cost (they won't have to bring a fork lift with them). I'll then need to position it in the garage I've built out for cars, motorhome, etc.

I have a cabbed JD 3046R with an H165 loader, and wondering two things.

First, will that the 3046R with H165 loader be able to lift it off a larger delivery truck ... safely?

Second, assuming it can lift it, should I attach a ballast box before unloading? I don't have one yet but will purchase one before if needed.

The shipping dimensions of the safe are listed as 63.33 H x 42.79 W x 28.00 D, and the weight is around 750 lbs.

Many thanks,

Jim
Using forks? Some subcompacts can lift that off. Yes use ballast on your 3x series if you have access. Even an implement would help. You only have to raise it a little then curl back a little. More capacity curling than lifting.

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #72  
I spend time here, mostly reading and learning. Have learned a lot and really appreciate those who post and assist.

I hope I have the correct place for this question, if not I apologize. I am having a gun safe being delivered next week and have opted to lift it off the delivery truck myself to reduce the delivery cost (they won't have to bring a fork lift with them). I'll then need to position it in the garage I've built out for cars, motorhome, etc.

First, will that the 3046R with H165 loader be able to lift it off a larger delivery truck ... safely?

Second, assuming it can lift it, should I attach a ballast box before unloading? I don't have one yet but will purchase one before if needed.

The shipping dimensions of the safe are listed as 63.33 H x 42.79 W x 28.00 D, and the weight is around 750 lbs.

Many thanks,

Jim
You should have zero problems. I use my grader blade with suitcase weights on it in a pinch. I have loaded rear tires as most people do.

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #73  
While everyone here has good numbers in mind, I have to disagree with the group here, just because of the unique lift to weight ratio I've observed on this particular machine. I have the 3033R, same tractor as your 3046R, with a smaller engine.

The trouble with this tractor is that the 320R loader is so unusually heavy that, even given the substantial weight of this machine, the ass gets awful light awful fast. In this particular regard, it is worse than any other machine I've ever owned. I can't even drive the thing up a damp grassy hill with the HD bucket installed, without going to 4wd if I don't have some weight on the rear.

That #750 lb. safe isn't much, with regard to the lift capacity of that loader (assuming 320R), but it's going to be awful high in the air. If your ground is anything less than level, you're going to want some implement on the rear of that tractor. Mind you, it doesn't have to be a ballast box; a snowblower, aerator, or brush hog works just as well.
Winter,

Great feedback! This is the wave of the future I believe in equipment that is generally less grounded in full tilt agriculture over being a Swiss army pocket knife.

I remember when desktop computers came out (yes... I am that old!), and the buzz words back then were all about the "flexibility" built into a desktop that could run multiple operating systems, hundreds of applications, and support many many more uses than the tools and equipment used previously (like dedicated CAD machines!).

Well my point here is that owning an orange machine of the L3560 Flavor, the frame length, at 6 to 8" shorter than all of its big brothers, definitely places some dynamic constraints on it. I've found that exact same thing on the L3560, with loaded tires... big 1600# lifting capacity... but in such a short frame as the 3570, where are ya goin? I'm wondering if engineering isn't opting for technical balance over weight in new models. That is "designed load capability"that concentrates on balance over shear weight of a machine to manage loads? It would definitely bode well for minimizing cost, as weight is costly... especially when it's in steel or cast products.

That short torso of the L3650 bears little brawn when up against a tall order. And, the fact that we are pushing these things to do more and more at the front end, and the rear... sometimes at the same time, well that can create some "physics of geometry" concerns that we can't address fully with a technically capable, but weight or footprint insufficient model, regardless of designed in benifits.

You bring up an interesting, and timely point.

Vid: S3 #33 Sourcing Free Firewood Material - Trees cut by DOT in an old Canal.
Don

Heavy lifting with an L3560 on uneven ground.

Last edited:
   / Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #74  

Many thanks,

Jim
Like most say, put some weight on the rear 3 point, box blade. mower, etc. But it should handle the load. Back away from the truck slowly and lower it gently till just enough above ground to proceed to drop off area, slowly. I found that borrowing a portable pallet jack worked fine to move the gun safe around in the house to get it where I wanted it.

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #75  
I would also suggest that you strap the safe to the back of the bucket before moving! Things can get tippy.

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #76  
I would also suggest that you strap the safe to the back of the bucket before moving! Things can get tippy.
Reply #25, says he has forks. Straps still are a good idea.

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #77  
This is the wave of the future I believe in equipment that is generally less grounded in full tilt agriculture over being a Swiss army pocket knife.
All true, CUT's are getting more lift capacity, more HP, and shorter wheel bases with reduced weight. But I think this is a good trend, as it gives more flexibility. I can easily add weight to the 3 pt. to do heavy work with the loader, or drop it and shed the loader when I want a light machine for spreading fertilizer on the lawn. Esp. considering JD and Kubota, each generation makes incremental improvements over the prior, with regard to capability, flexibility, options, direct-fit quick-change implements, etc.

I do love classic iron, and admire the shear heft of the castings on some old machines (I used to own a table saw from 1903 that weighed 2200 lb.). But the old 9N or 3000 leaves quite a bit to be desired in daily use, when compared to the 3033R.

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #78  
Today should be the day.

Let us know how it went....and remember, pictures or it didnt happen...lol

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed?
Taking the safe off of the trailer ended going smoother than I thought It would. First slide forks under and lifted off the trailer bed, without backing up. There were a lot of other materials on the trailer so couldn’t have him drive out from under the lifted safe. Was very smooth, no feeling of tipping. Backed up very slowly to get clear of the bed and put just about on the ground. Slow pace into the garage was also very smooth.

AD1508BE-8D26-4EAF-A48E-FC60548804FE.jpeg

0A1A6A2F-9D81-41E7-B407-4DB50F993A8B.jpeg

4300BAA1-DC99-48BB-B70B-80156DA2069A.jpeg

E67E7384-2FCD-4ED3-B307-6BD30C063E59.jpeg

I strapped myself in, always do even since darn near tipped it. Did air up tires, they were pretty low. Took it slow … no problems. The only thing I didn’t do that I should have, was to strap the load in. No issues, but will make sure and do that next time.

Many thanks for the advice!

Jim

/ Lifting safe - Ballast Box needed? #80  

Many thanks,

Jim
I use a 50G oil drum filled with cement as a counter weight.