Linclon SA 250

/ Linclon SA 250 #1  

crashz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501, JD LT150, DR Field Mower
Hi Welding gurus!

My father has an old SA 250 D3 153 that runs well and welds. However the solenoid that controls the fuel doesn't seem to work. It starts and runs to about 75% throttle and stays there. It doesn't idle down and will not idle up while welding ( lugs and won't provide full amps). Moving the throttle manually makes it weld fine.

I'd like to fix it ( to practice stick welding) but would rather not throw parts at it. The solenoid looks to be about $250, so the parts list could get expensive.

Any ideas?

/ Linclon SA 250 #2  
could be the govener, or the govener linkage. I would go over all of that with oil and try to make sure all of that is freed up.

/ Linclon SA 250
That's what I wast thinking at first too. But all the linkages move freely. The solenoid is mounted at the injection pump, has two black and white wires leading to it and controls the throttle when manually moved. It does seem to move when the ignition is switched on, but no more when a load comes on. Like a governor that doesn't work.

At first I thought the solenoid is bad, but maybe it's not receiving a signal as it should?

/ Linclon SA 250 #4  
crashz said:
At first I thought the solenoid is bad, but maybe it's not receiving a signal as it should?

not sure, but i think there is a reed switch someware near the output cable. the magnetic field around the cable closes the switch and that's what reves the engine.
reed switches go bad. that's where i would look.

/ Linclon SA 250
Thanks CNC Dan!

Reed switch. That interesting. I'll check that out, but it resides at our land which is 150 miles away from me. Next time I'm there, I'll look for that reed switch.

Thanks SheildArc!

I'll post there tonight after work.

I used the welder last year when we had a friend come up (professional welder) and weld up the frame on my dump truck. It worked, but the rods stuck a lot. I'd like to use it to practice and also fix a bunch of low risk stuff.