Loading issues on Dump Trailer

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #152  
2020 silverado half ton. 420hp/460torque, 10-speed auto, GCWR 18k, 2300# payload capacity, curb weight 5200#, 12k tow rating 13.5" rotors both front and rear

1999 F250 235hp/335torque 5-speed auto, 13.5k GCWR 2900# payload, 5400# curb weight, 12" front rotors, 13" rear rotors

1997 silverado 2500, 255hp, 330torque, 4-speed auto, 5200# curb weight, 7k tow rating, 12.5" front rotors and rear drums.

Yup....better just get an old 3/4 ton because they are bigger and heavier and stop better....lol.

Quit living in the past. If I had to tow a 10k load and had a choice of a 20-25 year old 3/4 ton vs a modern half ton.....the half ton wins.

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #153  
After years in the property mgmt. business in Phoenix we hauled about everything, crushed stone all ways very heavy! Thanks

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #154  
2020 silverado half ton. 420hp/460torque, 10-speed auto, GCWR 18k, 2300# payload capacity, curb weight 5200#, 12k tow rating 13.5" rotors both front and rear

1999 F250 235hp/335torque 5-speed auto, 13.5k GCWR 2900# payload, 5400# curb weight, 12" front rotors, 13" rear rotors

1997 silverado 2500, 255hp, 330torque, 4-speed auto, 5200# curb weight, 7k tow rating, 12.5" front rotors and rear drums.

Yup....better just get an old 3/4 ton because they are bigger and heavier and stop better....lol.

Quit living in the past. If I had to tow a 10k load and had a choice of a 20-25 year old 3/4 ton vs a modern half ton.....the half ton wins.
No kidding.

My 97 F350 can't stop on a dime unless I have a telescope to see it miles ahead... discs in front, drums in the rear. I've read somewhere about using a brake booster from the same year F-Superduty (F450 equivalent) to get better braking but I don't drive it enough to invest much in it.

It's also only rated to tow 9900 if I recall (SRW 4x4) though "I'm sure it could pull a lot more than that" haha

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #155  
No kidding.

My 97 F350 can't stop on a dime unless I have a telescope to see it miles ahead... discs in front, drums in the rear. I've read somewhere about using a brake booster from the same year F-Superduty (F450 equivalent) to get better braking but I don't drive it enough to invest much in it.

It's also only rated to tow 9900 if I recall (SRW 4x4) though "I'm sure it could pull a lot more than that" haha

My 92 ton isn’t horrible on braking but it’s not even close to my F-750 with air so I just use it for towing now. But the bigger problem is the 30 year old ton truck has no power and the cooling isn’t up to the job either.

Last edited:
   / Loading issues on Dump Trailer #156  
I've hauled 100's of similar or larger loads with my F150. The gravel pit I go to loads with the corner of the bucket also and they do a pretty nice job. However, sometimes you get it loaded more front or rear heavy than ideal- it's hard to predict precisely how the gravel is going to dump. I can tell by looking how the trailer is loaded and carry a shovel to adjust things if necessary. It's never more than a minute or 2 of shoveling to shift the weight how I like it. At the same time I clear the fenders or any other locations of loose material. It's much better to be tongue heavy than tail heavy.
20191009_100750.jpg

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #157  
Amazing...154 posts...did we lose the OP?

What was the chosen way forward???

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #158  
Amazing...154 posts...did we lose the OP?

What was the chosen way forward???
I believe he is waiting on a couple quote from some heavy haul companies to make sure he can move his fully loaded dump trailer safely. According to this thread, turns out a half ton can't move it and will break in half... :)

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #159  

I mean, a bit silly to cherry pick stats like that. No one said we had to go back 25 years to get a 2500 to compare with a modern half ton. And you chose an absolutely top of the line half ton there, that's a $60k truck. For the same price you can also get a 2020 2500HD instead, that will nearly double those capacity numbers. Shoot my 2003 2500HD with the lowly base engine comes close to that GCVWR of a half-ton that is 17 years newer (and the 8.1L and 6.6L Dmax eclipse it).

I won't argue on the "stop better" point, newer trucks definitely have stronger brakes! Still, the frame size, suspension capacity, and weight of the tow vehicle all factor into towing dynamics as well. Doesn't matter how big your brake rotors are if they are trying to lock up while your truck gets jacked all around. And yes, you can put load range E tires on your half ton... but how many people actually do that?

I find the fact that we are debating whether a half ton can tow the OPs load rather amusing. Because he showed us all directly, how his can't. He can't handle the proper amount of tongue weight for safe towing of his load, Period. Could some max'd out levers on a WD hitch, or helper air bags keep him more level? Sure, but that is only masking the inherent under capacity of the base vehicle itself. Am I wrong?

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #160  
I mean, a bit silly to cherry pick stats like that. No one said we had to go back 25 years to get a 2500 to compare with a modern half ton. And you chose an absolutely top of the line half ton there, that's a $60k truck. For the same price you can also get a 2020 2500HD instead, that will nearly double those capacity numbers. Shoot my 2003 2500HD with the lowly base engine comes close to that GCVWR of a half-ton that is 17 years newer (and the 8.1L and 6.6L Dmax eclipse it).

I won't argue on the "stop better" point, newer trucks definitely have stronger brakes! Still, the frame size, suspension capacity, and weight of the tow vehicle all factor into towing dynamics as well. Doesn't matter how big your brake rotors are if they are trying to lock up while your truck gets jacked all around. And yes, you can put load range E tires on your half ton... but how many people actually do that?

I find the fact that we are debating whether a half ton can tow the OPs load rather amusing. Because he showed us all directly, how his can't. He can't handle the proper amount of tongue weight for safe towing of his load, Period. Could some max'd out levers on a WD hitch, or helper air bags keep him more level? Sure, but that is only masking the inherent under capacity of the base vehicle itself. Am I wrong?
No, its not silly to cherry pick stats. It proves my point. There are literally dozens of ways to configure a truck, both half ton and 3/4 ton. So what is silly is the CONSTANT blanket statements that half tons are too small and you need a 3/4 ton.

And 3/4-tons normally handle heavier loads and tow more.....sure. No argument that they are better built for being a towing and hauling machine. But that DOESNT mean that 1/2-tons are incapable.....especially modern ones.

What I find amusing is the above statement. What the OP is showing us is that he simply wants a better load placement on the trailer, NOT that his truck cannot handle towing the trailer and load he wants.

I have a one ton and a gooseneck trailer. If I load a mini excavator and pull it all the way up to where the blade touches the risers I am GROSSLY overloading the truck. But still well within the load rating of the trailer and truck . Same thing going on here.....only difference is when getting a trailer loaded by someone else, you dont have much control of load placement. Something the OP is trying to alleviate.

Last edited: