Log splitter 4 point wedge

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #1  

warriordba

Tractor
JD Sabre 2048
Anyone ever attach a 4 point wedge to a Troy Built 27 ton log splitter? This Rugged Built seems like it might work.
Thank you!

Attachments

• A16049D9-C16F-4331-ADB4-EE0B6E20B01C.jpeg
    A16049D9-C16F-4331-ADB4-EE0B6E20B01C.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 164
  • E992BCE8-B02D-43D2-9D87-0CC6F0F91DB9.jpeg
    E992BCE8-B02D-43D2-9D87-0CC6F0F91DB9.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 163
   / Log splitter 4 point wedge #2  
I don't understand the first one. Mine is similar to the black one. The coolest ones I've saw for small splitters actually slip over the 2way creating a 4way.

Mine hydraulically raises/lowers. Raised position is 4way, lowered 2way.

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #3  
I have one and it slips over the two way. I tried it and don’t like it at all. Maybe if the round is the perfect size it would work but I end up with two splits that are too small.

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #4  
I've got a timber wolf splitter with the drop on four way. It's a two position device, so can be optimized for the work at hand. High, low or removed for two piece split.

I use it all the time.

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #5  
My splitter has a permanent 4way. I only run into problems splitting 36in round knotty stuff. I have a real (calculated) 30ton not a "30ton".

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #6  
I don't understand the first one. Mine is similar to the black one. The coolest ones I've saw for small splitters actually slip over the 2way creating a 4way.

Mine hydraulically raises/lowers. Raised position is 4way, lowered 2way.

I have a 2 way splitter from Northern Tool and had a custom 4 way head that also splits both ways. Great time saver!

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #7  
Not sure I'd want a bolt-on or permanent 4-way.

At least not unless you sort your rounds.....and all the ~10"-12" stuff that is optimal for 4 way were separated out, and you could spend an hour or so doing nothing but 4-way splits.

But splitting out of a random pile.....I think you are gonna find yourself skipping so many pieces that just arent 4-way material and you are gonna waste more time sorting through the pile than actually being productive at splitting.

I actually made a slip on 4-way for my homemade splitter. And IT does work nice and easy to slip on when needed or slip off when not. But no way would I like one permanent or something that takes anymore than a few seconds to remove

4-1.jpg

4-2.jpg

4-3.jpg

4-4.jpg

4-5.jpg

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #8  
Everything goes through the 4-way on my splitter, no sorting at all! You can see all sizes in my firewood box,

Resized-20200312-143701-7771-S.jpg

I'm not splitting for "pretty", little ones go under it and any time it leaves a small piece, that's for starting fires!

SR

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #9  
I have a 4 way slip over that actually does as intended but I use an outdoor wood boiler for heat and have no need for the tiny pieces I get with the 4 way.

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #10  
I think the OPs question is, for those of us where the splitting wedge is what travels on the beam, pushed by the ram. And not stationary. Is there a way to easily adapt from 2-way to 4-way?

I'd much rather have a splitter where the ram pushes a flat plate, and your wood goes through the wedge, into a sorting table. But I got what I got.