Log splitter and a flying log - safety

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #51  
I'm wondering if you could fabricate something like heavy chain curtain? I know safety things are a nuisance slowing down work. Some sort of steel cover activated by a pedal you step on.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #52  
From you description of what happened, I agree with John_Mc. The ram must have been moving fast and quickly loaded preassure on the log that was "set" so going to slip of the ram anyhow, just not that fast and that far unless the ram was moving likewise.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #53  
Never seen or heard of air being a factor. Certainly could be a piece of the equation. I think it's more likely a knot of series of them in the wood. I've had pieces pop, but never as badly as described here.
I'm not saying air in the system is the only cause of this problem. However, it's the most common reason I've seen for splits to go flying off a hydraulic splitter. I work with a lot of volunteers with our local firewood donation program. I also work with a number of the 15 co-owners of a conserved working forest to harvest & process firewood. Lots of these folks bring their own splitters - and they are in varying states of repair. On very rare occasions we just see that random odd piece that flies off.

However, We've had 4 occasions that I can recall where it was happening more often. We know it's splitter related, because we are running 4 or 5 splitters on the same wood, and only one of them starts throwing wood while all of the others are fine. If you want closely during a split, you can see the cylinder jerk forward when the wood lets got. That does not happen with a properly functioning hydraulic system. Bleed the system on the offending splitter, and it stops throwing wood.

Last edited:
   / Log splitter and a flying log - safety #54  
A number of years ago, I had a neighbor who was splitting wood with a splitter on the tractor. He was working with oak. He had been working with wood for many years. A piece split off and came flying at him. It hit him on the side of his head. It broke his jaw, knocked out some of his teeth and crushed his skull. He spent 6 months in the hospital and in recovery and rehabilitation. He was never the same afterwards. Since that accident, I built a shield on the end of my splitter and stand behind that when splitting.
Pictures please

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety
To answer a few questions. I was splitting Pin Oak and it was cut a month ago. I have used the splitter since the "incident," and it is working perfectly, and the ram is moving slowly and smoothly. Nothing flew out and it is the same batch of wood. I believe it is an 11-second cycle time, so it is nothing too special. The wedge is sharp - actually sharpened the night before the incident along with a engine oil change. I found the split that hit me (it was easy since every other piece was stacked in the log rack) - no knots and no forks - just very straight grain. At the time, I did not hear the machine bog at all. I split around 4 cords so far this year and understand the bogging sound and always step back and away when I hear it. This was running smoothly. I did notice that one end was not perfectly straight but nothing too crazy.

I often wear a logging helmet, but honestly, this one hit me so hard that I am pretty sure the face screen would have easily folded in (still would not mind having it on). I told my wife I think I am going to wear my full-face motocross helmet from now on!

After going to the facial surgery center yesterday I found out I actually "shattered" the lower orbital and broken the sinus cavity a bit, but nothing too bad and luckly do not need surgery. The stiches are out and that will leave a scar above my eye but hey I am old and married so oh well. They even said my eyes are both still even so I would say all for all it turned out pretty well.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety
LOL - I think you are right there!
THANKS

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #58  
The stiches are out and that will leave a scar above my eye but hey I am old and married so oh well.
And... besides as I tell my wife... Every scar is from an adventure (even if unplanned) & has a story!!!

Glad you are doing ok...

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #59  
You guys are sure making me happy I bought a better designed splitter, even if it did cost me more money!

My splitter has never thrown any splits at me, not even one time.

SR

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #60  
Want to applaud the OP for posting this. It may have been a "freak" accident, but it has sparked some interesting discussion and ideas.

The only splitter I have owned was a dual action DR and it had a force of about 15T IIRC. Maybe we were just lucky or maybe it stalled out before we had a bad result.

Like I posted earlier, we are looking at purchasing a small processor. It is designed so this type of accident will not put the operator at risk. It has 27T of splitting force

I respect the opinions of Sawyer Rob, but I doubt a more expensive splitter is the solution. The question is, "What does a better splitter have that prevents this from happening?"