Log splitter and a flying log - safety

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #81  
A better designed wedge...

I don't know if all "more expensive" splitters have a better designed wedge and I never said that they do, but my Timberwolf does.
Isn't a wedge pretty much a wedge? How would you design one to make it safer (and still be effective)?
Chances are that if manufacturers incorporated some sort of safety bar etc. to prevent this...a lot of operators would remove it...!
Sad but true. So many "safety" features make a tool harder to use (I'm thinking the double-trigger that's been on chainsaws for the last 20-odd years).

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #82  
You ask "Isn't a wedge pretty much a wedge?"

Think about it: the angle of the wedge to spread the wood and how fast it increases. The angle in relation to the beam, like the front of a boat, the wedge should lead at the tip furthest away from the beam, if reversed it would encourage wood to fly out.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #83  
One question Code54, did the wood fly (this is hard to explain) away from the wedge as the blade cuts through like when an axe is used to split, and the wood goes right and left of the axe head? (picture 1)

Or did it fly straight out along the path of the edge? (picture 2)
Can I get an answer? (SEE POST #64 FOR PICS)

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #84  
One question Code54, did the wood fly (this is hard to explain) away from the wedge as the blade cuts through like when an axe is used to split, and the wood goes right and left of the axe head? (picture 1)

Or did it fly straight out along the path of the edge? (picture 2)
I interpret the description as if it had done pic 2, BUT, since the splitter was in a horizontal mode the fly direction was upward.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #85  
You ask "Isn't a wedge pretty much a wedge?"

Think about it: the angle of the wedge to spread the wood and how fast it increases. The angle in relation to the beam, like the front of a boat, the wedge should lead at the tip furthest away from the beam, if reversed it would encourage wood to fly out.

Not saying they don't exist but I have never seen a wedge at an angle to the beam. I thought about doing that on my homebuilt but didn't.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #86  
I get the idea the split hit him by shooting up and a little sideways. I’m sure I’ve split hundreds of logs and can only think of once a split went flying, but not hard enough to cause any damage.

I looked at the OP’s link to his splitter. The wedge is different. Mine is a straight tapered wedge where his has a sharp narrow piece and then a second bigger tapered piece. Not sure how or if that makes a difference.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety #87  
Not saying they don't exist but I have never seen a wedge at an angle to the beam. I thought about doing that on my homebuilt but didn't.
That would force one side of the split into the beam.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety
I get the idea the split hit him by shooting up and a little sideways. I’m sure I’ve split hundreds of logs and can only think of once a split went flying, but not hard enough to cause any damage.

I looked at the OP’s link to his splitter. The wedge is different. Mine is a straight tapered wedge where his has a sharp narrow piece and then a second bigger tapered piece. Not sure how or if that makes a difference.
Dodge Man is correct - it came up and outward (sideways) a bit.
Sorry for the delays and for not getting photos. My father is having a lot of health problems, so I have been over at their place a lot the last few days.

/ Log splitter and a flying log - safety
Thank you. He actually passed away very early this morning, but at least he is finally at peace.
I appreciate the prayers and thoughts. December has been a rough ending to the year.