logsplitter question

/ logsplitter question #31  
The rounds from the butt section of my pines were a PITA to manhandle. Ended up digging a shallow trench with the tractor bucket. Roll the splitter down into this trench. This put the splitter beam dead level with the ground. Helped somewhat.

/ logsplitter question #32  
I bought a 3 pt splitter that runs off the hydraulics from the tractor. I use it for 2 to 3 trees a year. I decided to go with tractor option so I don't have to maintain another engine and only adding a few extra hours a year on my tractor is not a big deal. It does have a little longer cycle time but not a big deal for a little as I use it.

/ logsplitter question #33  
With my limited experience of wood splitting so far, I would only want a self powered splitter that could pivot to vertical (The rental did and that's how I used it, the big rounds I just rolled in place on their edge, like you would roll a barrel on its edge).

For a 3pt one I would want one that would allow the splitter to be on the bottom so I could just position it with the tractor and lower it over the big rounds and split them.

/ logsplitter question #34  
I never used a power splitter just used an axe, sledge hammer
and wedges on the extra large ones and only split wood in
the winder time as wood splits better frozen. 30 degree's
below zero working in a t-shirt.

willy

riddle: what has 18 legs and catches flies???

/ logsplitter question #36  
What do you think of those split fires? Wonder how long the uhmw plastic wear pads last. I like the smaller diameter cylinders you can choose. Most wood here lately, with exception to yellow birch, splits pretty east even with the 5 ton electric splitters

/ logsplitter question #37  

willy

Baseball Team

/ logsplitter question #38  

willy

Well... I tried to split some rounds, and I set the wedge, gave it a couple of whacks with 8 pound sledge, round spit out the wedge and wedge can looking for me.... Prefer a power splitter any time...

/ logsplitter question #39  

willy

A baseball team. :)

/ logsplitter question #40  
I am wondering about whether I should rent a log splitter or buy one to run off my tractor hydraulics. I have one large tree down that has been cut up and usually have 1-2 trees per year that need to be cut up and split that I have taken down or fell on its own in a storm, so not a lot of use but fairly constant.

Is it generally better to have a self powered splitter or to use your tractor? Which is more reliable/durable? Do these require much maintenance? Is the operation pretty simple? I can rent from Home depot here for ~$100/ day and have seen ads on this site or others for hydraulic run for about $1200-1400

Appreciate any advice for a relative novice at this
You have received a lot of input. Most will be useless. People are telling you what works for them, so you need to decide if your trees are the same as the trees they are processing.

If the largest tree you will handle is 14" ash, what a guy splitting 24" oak uses is going to be more than you need.

I burn about 6 cords a year so what I use would be silly for your needs. My fiancé and I process (cut to length and split) 6 cords in 8 hours.

Having read all the suggestions, and based on the information you have provided ( two tress a year) you may not need to own a splitter. Cut your downed trees to length. (I go with 20" long rounds as it means fewer cuts, less handling and less splitting time. My insert easily handles 22" so it works.). Stack your rounds and rent a splitter once every two years. You will have no stuff to buy, store or maintain. Have a buddy/son/grandson come over to help you and buy pizza and beer with the money saved. You should have four "average" trees split in 4 hours...maybe less. A one day rental every two years....maybe every three years.

Splitting can be done efficiently if you plan for it. People waste time moving rounds to the splitter and moving split wood away and/or stacking it. Stack your rounds so you can pull the splitter up to them. Throw the splits to the "off side" and move the splitter as the split pile get too large.