Looking for a good compact tractor

/ Looking for a good compact tractor #51  
Bad assumption on your part. I have used a gear drive tractor for over 30 years. I have never operated it the way you describe. Perhaps that is why I am still alive. But what I am talking about is physics, not operator error.
What you're talking about has nothing do with what transmission the tractor has but rather how the load you're pulling is attached to the tractor. If it's attached above the center line of the axle, bad things will happen.

There is a reason why the drawbars are mounted under the axle. Even the German style, which slides up and down, can only go up so far to prevent things like that.

/ Looking for a good compact tractor #52  
All manufacturers make tractors of different frame size and weight. All full line manufacturers anyway.

Kubota isn’t unique here.
It depends on the use. If the main use is mowing/brush cutting, extra weight just wases fuel moving the tractor around. But for heavy pulling and FEL work, weight is quite important. That is why I chose the Mahindra over the Kubota, though I have had a Kubota in the past. But the Mahindra weighs in about 1500# more than the comparable power Kubota model. It also has larger tires, more 3-point lift capacity, more FEL capacity and larger axles. If I were doing lighter work, I may have preferred the Kubota.

/ Looking for a good compact tractor #53  
What you're talking about has nothing do with what transmission the tractor has but rather how the load you're pulling is attached to the tractor. If it's attached above the center line of the axle, bad things will happen.

There is a reason why the drawbars are mounted under the axle. Even the German style, which slides up and down, can only go up so far to prevent things like that.
Actually it does have to do with the transmission. If you have a gear drive, it will not stop unless you push in the clutch. This requires fast action and coordination. With an HST, if your foot goes off the HST pedal, which it will do when you start to flip or rollover, it will stop. So it requires less operator skill. Also, a tractor can flip to the side when it hits a hidden obkject. I have had this happen when underbrush hid an old stump. As far as drawbar location, what you say is true. But when logging, you want to get the log off the ground to avoid plowing a trough all the way back to the landing and getting the log all muddy. The act of lifting the log will put more of the load on the top link. Have you ever seen how high up the winch point is with a log skidder? Some are 8 feet off the ground. But most of the weight is up front. I mimic that weight distribution by having a heavy FEL.

/ Looking for a good compact tractor #54  

The old school American tractors had large diameter rear tires and no loader or suitcase weighs on the front. They could backflip even if they were hooked below the axel.

/ Looking for a good compact tractor #55  
It’s usually old tractors doing back flips and a lot of the old tractors don’t have very low gears. Also you’re assuming it was hooked on an unmovable object and the operator was prepared for that to happen. You could be dragging logs down a skid trailer and a snag a stump. Are you suggesting you should drive everywhere at .5 mph and hover the clutch just waiting for something bad to happen?
I used a 1974 Ford 4010, I think. It was about 53 Hp, as I recall, and dry weight a bit over 5000#. It had a 3-speed trans and a high and low range. Low range was pretty slow in 1st gear. We added wheel weights to the front, so it was pretty stable. But it was a 2WD tractor, so it was not that great in the woods anyway. In though areas, I used a Kubota B7100HST. But it was smaller than what I really needed. Good little tractor, though. I managed to completely wear it out after about 20 years and 2600 hours. I ran a 4' Bushhog, an FEL, a 60" finishing mower, a 50" rototiller and a 4' scraper blade with it. Those implements were pretty much all it could handle.

/ Looking for a good compact tractor #56  
Actually it does have to do with the transmission. If you have a gear drive, it will not stop unless you push in the clutch. This requires fast action and coordination. With an HST, if your foot goes off the HST pedal, which it will do when you start to flip or rollover, it will stop. So it requires less operator skill. Also, a tractor can flip to the side when it hits a hidden obkject. I have had this happen when underbrush hid an old stump. As far as drawbar location, what you say is true. But when logging, you want to get the log off the ground to avoid plowing a trough all the way back to the landing and getting the log all muddy. The act of lifting the log will put more of the load on the top link. Have you ever seen how high up the winch point is with a log skidder? Some are 8 feet off the ground. But most of the weight is up front. I mimic that weight distribution by having a heavy FEL.
If I'm doing any heavy pulling, the foot will be close to the clutch, ready to press in case something goes bad. Plus, I'm running on the slowest gear I have and the throttle won't go above 1500RPM because it really doesn't need more than that on such a low gear. Plenty of time to react if anything go bad.

I keep seeing on videos with people running high gears and throttle to the max every time they pull something, light or hard pulls. That gives very little control or time to react.

/ Looking for a good compact tractor #57  
Still it's surprising how much you can accomplish with a little compact utility tractor.
As SmallChange has mentioned, "Tractors are not the best machine (not really close) for clearing wooded areas. Rent a large excavator or pay someone to clear it. After, the tractor is great for maintaining."
I entirely agree with this statement. If you have trees you want taken out, renting or hiring a dozer or an excavator will make short work of it.....

While I agree with Jasper, we need to consider the OP's situation. He's not doing logging for a living he is looking for a tractor for his 11 acres of which on 5 of the acres there are dead trees to clean up. We don't know if they're still standing or laying. Regardless just cut them to whatever lengths your tractor can manage to move be it drag or lift.
I've posted this pic before but it illustrates what can be accomplished with a small, light weight tractor, like a 21 HP, 1,700 pound B7500 and only a bucket (no forks) and draw bar. It and I moved hundreds of 70' pine trees when clearing some of the property to build on. The company that took them wanted 11' lengths so that's what we cut them. That little tractor did struggle a bit lifting the lower trunk pieces, it could only lift them a foot or so, so those big ones were placed on the bottom of the piles I had to make for the boom truck. A larger tractor would have been better for this, no doubt, but it did the job and after the heavy work was done that B7500 was just the right size for maintaining our 4 cleared and 45 forested acres.

/ Looking for a good compact tractor #58  
All manufacturers make tractors of different frame size and weight. All full line manufacturers anyway.

Kubota isn’t unique here.
You are missing the point. Kubota is historically known for lighter machines in a given “class” if you look at dimensions of the machines. Thats what I am saying.

/ Looking for a good compact tractor #59  
If I'm doing any heavy pulling, the foot will be close to the clutch, ready to press in case something goes bad. Plus, I'm running on the slowest gear I have and the throttle won't go above 1500RPM because it really doesn't need more than that on such a low gear. Plenty of time to react if anything go bad.

I keep seeing on videos with people running high gears and throttle to the max every time they pull something, light or hard pulls. That gives very little control or time to react.
I guarantee, if you hit an unseen obstacle in the woods, even at low speed, your foot would jerk away from the clutch pedal. And if the tractor really did start to do a wheelie, at 1 mph with a 50" tire, it would take about 2s to reach 90 degrees, the point of no return. My bet is you would have trouble keeping your foot on the clutch then, too. Of course, you could put anti-rollback legs on the tractor, as they do in tractor pull events. You could also pull with a scraper blade. Any large implement would stop a wheelie rollover, but not a side rollover. And I still had a close call with a sapling that popped up when it hit the front axle and ran into my chest. It nearly broke my ribs, which hurt for a week. And this was with an HST, where all I had to do was stop pressing the pedal. I am not trying to say which transmission is "better". I am trying to point out situations where there is an actual safety difference. And any system which requires more operator skill to avoid an accident is intrinsically more dangerous. I think that should be obvious. And the original poster indicated a variety os uses for the tractor. Woods use was one of them. That is probably the most dangerous activity a tractor can be used for,

/ Looking for a good compact tractor #60  
Weight is your friend and without it horsepower is wasted, I would look at the heavier tractors IE: Kioti, Mahindra and around the 35 HP range or larger. Don't go too small because down the road you will be sorry.