Looking for a welder

/ Looking for a welder #1  

MESSMAKER

Veteran Member
Tractor
DK4710SE
Have been using a 220 volt 170 amp cheap Mig welder without much success. I am looking to upgrade. I can't really justify the price of a Miller even though I know they are very well respected. Is there anything in the sub $700 range that will work for farm equipment.

/ Looking for a welder #2  
You are not going to find much in line of Miller, Hobart, Lincoln, or ESAB quality for size you want for what you have budgeted.... Guess Harbor Freight may have something that is useful for your budget numbers.... Personally I would go with either a Hobart Handler 190 or a Hobart 210MVP....I have a Hobart Handler 140 it's been good to me for 8 years, but its a 120 V machine and weld penetration gets a little sketchy above about 1/4 inch material.... Really wish I had gotten the Hobart 210MPV...

Hobart and Miller are owned by one parent company, Illinois Tool Works, and share a lot of same parts.......

Last edited:
   / Looking for a welder #3  
Have been using a 220 volt 170 amp cheap Mig welder without much success. I am looking to upgrade. I can't really justify the price of a Miller even though I know they are very well respected. Is there anything in the sub $700 range that will work for farm equipment.
If you're willing to go to stick welding, the Lincoln AC/DC machine can be bought for $500+/- new. There are good used welders on Craigslist in your price range. I bought a Miller 250 ac/dc stick machine used for $250 several years ago after I sold my Lincoln AC/DC for $400. If you have to have a MIG machine you might find a used one in your budget range or you can try Harbor Freight.

/ Looking for a welder #4  
I have 2, Millermatic 200 MIGS. Both bought at auctions for $400, and $300. Both work great, and I love them. You can weld up to 1/2" in a single pass. Didn't really need the second one, but for $300 I couldn't pass it up. Even had a full tank of 75/25, and extra complete gun, and NIB roll of .035 wire, and 3/4 of a roll of wire on the machine. Just got to be in the right place at the right time.

/ Looking for a welder #5  

Cheaper machines will never have the consistency of weld that the pro quality machines will have. But also no where never the $$$$ investment.
You say not much success with your welder, and ask about replacement.

How much welding experience do you have? What is your lack of success?

/ Looking for a welder #6  
I bought a Hobart 210MVP for around $850. Not under your $700 range, but close. It is a great welder. Lots of good things said about it in my research before deciding on a model. I can't say how much it gives up to 'pro level' welders but it certainly isn't entry level nor 'budget'.

Rob

/ Looking for a welder #7  
Look in the welding sub forum and contact Mark@Everlast.

/ Looking for a welder
I have been looking at both the Hobart and the Everlast.

/ Looking for a welder
Adding a Lincoln 180 to the mix. All are about the same price.

/ Looking for a welder #10  
I just purchased a welder from Eastwood. Com and I am not a welder, but my kids are and they are Lincoln welder users and they said that the one I purchased was phenomenal for the price I paid. 499.99 and it is 110 or 220 volt.it is the new 180 they just came out with. Might be worth looking at.